R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,996 of 4,410
Had my R5 for a week's got it from Ali Express just before lock down. Very impressed with it, responsive UI, feels sturdy and more importantly sounds great whatever source I am using. Used it with my Shure SE425 and Meze Classics, just ordered Meze Rai Solos to try with it next.

USB DAC works well and is recognised by Roon when connected to my pi. Roon app works well on it considering it still resamples everything to system rate a Roon issue not the R5. But the controls don't control playback on the device when app is used. Spoke to Roon and Hiby about this and both looking in to it, so happy with CS at Hiby so far.

One thing is though I find the Bluetooth range on it very limited. I can't put it in my pocket with out getting dropouts. Take it out and its fine. This is less than a meter away from my Shure BT2 dongle. Any ideas here? Wireless internet is ok just BT.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,997 of 4,410
Had my R5 for a week's got it from Ali Express just before lock down. Very impressed with it, responsive UI, feels sturdy and more importantly sounds great whatever source I am using. Used it with my Shure SE425 and Meze Classics, just ordered Meze Rai Solos to try with it next.

USB DAC works well and is recognised by Roon when connected to my pi. Roon app works well on it considering it still resamples everything to system rate a Roon issue not the R5. But the controls don't control playback on the device when app is used. Spoke to Roon and Hiby about this and both looking in to it, so happy with CS at Hiby so far.

One thing is though I find the Bluetooth range on it very limited. I can't put it in my pocket with out getting dropouts. Take it out and its fine. This is less than a meter away from my Shure BT2 dongle. Any ideas here? Wireless internet is ok just BT.
Same issue here with BT with different BT headphones

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,998 of 4,410
Same issue here with BT with different BT headphones
Seems to be DAP thing. I bought the iBasso DX160 before Xmas and ending up returning it as it's BT was shocking, but so was the WiFi. Oh well maybe they can fix it with firmware, but likely a limitation on hardware.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,999 of 4,410
I've pulled the trigger on R5. They have a really nice price on AE now (I've paid $292 for the player and a leather case).
I'm coming from Fiio M11's boring presentation which I have become really tired of and I cannot wait to receive R5.
One question, and apologies if this was mentioned earlier, does balanced output sound different from 3,5mm or is it just about more power?

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #2,000 of 4,410
I've pulled the trigger on R5. They have a really nice price on AE now (I've paid $292 for the player and a leather case).
I'm coming from Fiio M11's boring presentation which I have become really tired of and I cannot wait to receive R5.
One question, and apologies if this was mentioned earlier, does balanced output sound different from 3,5mm or is it just about more power?
it will placebo be better, because 4.4mm has better efficiency to work with, so things get push out more wholesome

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,001 of 4,410
There is a theory that balanced sounds better. Personally I think the extra power helps but I am not sure that there is any other benefit to balanced. But for full disclosure due to the extra power I use balanced whenever possible. The R5 has plenty of power. I don't have any super inefficient headphones but my less efficient units sound good with the R5 (Blon for example). The R5 can really wake up the bass response in some IEMs that you might have thought of as bass shy; this effect is due to the power chops of the unit. And it has plenty of power in both single ended and balanced modes.

The other thing that is notable is that the unit is quite quiet. Music can often seem to come out of nowhere. Funny, I thought my other units were plenty quiet until I had this item.

I am not sure what is boring about the M11 but it is worth noting that the R5 is quite neutral which is not the industry norm. If you want warm that I suggest use of MSEB to achieve that effect. Some might perceive neutral as boring. I used to be a big FIIO fanboy. That is where I first got to know Joe Bloggs, who ran a very cool service where users could upvote or downvote features for one of the first FIIO units. That was a lot of fun and a great way to feel that your input mattered. I think it was the first X3 unit which by the way had a Wolfson chipset and had a fairly warm sound quality. The second X3 was much more neutral now that I look back it; I loved both units but especially the second one. The first X3 had EQ that I think was analog; it worked with hi res files (I think even DSD) which at the time was not a typical feature and still may not be a common feature.

It took me a while to appreciate the R5 "sound" or lack thereof but now I find it quite enjoyable. On most machines I turn EQ off but on this unit I think MSEB is always engaged (even as a neutral setting). I do use MSEB and with limited doses it is great. It is easy to overdo MSEB so I suggest that the user go lightly with this effect.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #2,002 of 4,410
The chord Mojo only has 3.5mm. It does not have balanced.
Balanced outputs typically have more power but the Mojo already has plenty of power For that matter so does the R5.
Hello. Speaking of R5 power: I can’t find specs for 3.5 output. Is it the same as 4.4 balanced (~1000 )? Been looking for an answer as to whether R5 can sufficiently drive Hifiman Sundara headphones without external amp. Thanks

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,003 of 4,410
Hello. Speaking of R5 power: I can’t find specs for 3.5 output. Is it the same as 4.4 balanced (~1000 )? Been looking for an answer as to whether R5 can sufficiently drive Hifiman Sundara headphones without external amp. Thanks
The specs are typically at the beginning of the thread or on the vendor website. In general, balanced units have 2x the power of single ended units but keep in mind that in the real world it only add about 3db of apparent headroom.

But power ratings can be deceiving. This unit has a lot of oomph for both single ended (3.5) and balanced. When it comes to power I usually look at forum posts about perceived power and noise levels with IEMs and headphones that I care about. Power measurements can be deceiving....you need to take into account impedance and various other matters. For what its worth one of my best sounding units on paper is completely inadequate when it comes to power but it still sounds terrific (Shanling M0). I used to be annoyed about posts where people would ask "how does this unit sound with my megatron 8 with bupkiss cables". Then I realized that its all about a systems effect and these kinds of questions are actually quite sensible.

Speaking of 3.5 and 4.4; Joe is there any kind of plan to separate the power setting for both individually? I would like to set the 3.5 to always be in line out mode at full volume and only have to adjust volume for 4.4. Basically the 3.5 is for my car and 4.4 is for at home listening. In the car I need to go flat out on volume whereas I don't want to blast my ears for in home use. And yes I do forget where I last set the volume sometimes and then its HEE WACK loud....

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,005 of 4,410
There is a theory that balanced sounds better. Personally I think the extra power helps but I am not sure that there is any other benefit to balanced. But for full disclosure due to the extra power I use balanced whenever possible. The R5 has plenty of power. I don't have any super inefficient headphones but my less efficient units sound good with the R5 (Blon for example). The R5 can really wake up the bass response in some IEMs that you might have thought of as bass shy; this effect is due to the power chops of the unit. And it has plenty of power in both single ended and balanced modes.

The other thing that is notable is that the unit is quite quiet. Music can often seem to come out of nowhere. Funny, I thought my other units were plenty quiet until I had this item.

I am not sure what is boring about the M11 but it is worth noting that the R5 is quite neutral which is not the industry norm. If you want warm that I suggest use of MSEB to achieve that effect. Some might perceive neutral as boring. I used to be a big FIIO fanboy. That is where I first got to know Joe Bloggs, who ran a very cool service where users could upvote or downvote features for one of the first FIIO units. That was a lot of fun and a great way to feel that your input mattered. I think it was the first X3 unit which by the way had a Wolfson chipset and had a fairly warm sound quality. The second X3 was much more neutral now that I look back it; I loved both units but especially the second one. The first X3 had EQ that I think was analog; it worked with hi res files (I think even DSD) which at the time was not a typical feature and still may not be a common feature.

It took me a while to appreciate the R5 "sound" or lack thereof but now I find it quite enjoyable. On most machines I turn EQ off but on this unit I think MSEB is always engaged (even as a neutral setting). I do use MSEB and with limited doses it is great. It is easy to overdo MSEB so I suggest that the user go lightly with this effect.

I found playing with the filters helped for me. Not touched the MSEB yet , but changing from default filter made it sound nicer to me.

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,006 of 4,410
R5 the best for me. I really like it.

1fb5c174a4d5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back