R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 7, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #1,966 of 4,410
just take a photo with the flash off and the lens covered, copy it to the internal memory and set that as the wallpaper. I keep a "black" photo in my computer picture folder and use it on all my devices as the fewer color pixels used, the less battery power used.
If using UAPP go into the settings- select user interface- select background color black.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #1,967 of 4,410
just take a photo with the flash off and the lens covered, copy it to the internal memory and set that as the wallpaper. I keep a "black" photo in my computer picture folder and use it on all my devices as the fewer color pixels used, the less battery power used.

I think he's looking for a dark theme, not only dark wallpaper, which means dark colors everywhere, including settings screen.
Colors doesn't noticeably affect power consumption on LCD screens (like R5), contrary to AMOLED displays.

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #1,968 of 4,410
Just got mine, love the heft, and battery life seems to be much better than on Sony NW-A105 which is going back.

The Android security patch is well over two years old, is there any hope we'll get that updated ever? Any hope we'll get Android 9/10 on this?

It's a bit tedious to always use the screen lock. How are you using this as a portable player with the screen lock, or are you not using it at all?

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,969 of 4,410
Just got mine, love the heft, and battery life seems to be much better than on Sony NW-A105 which is going back.

The Android security patch is well over two years old, is there any hope we'll get that updated ever? Any hope we'll get Android 9/10 on this?

It's a bit tedious to always use the screen lock. How are you using this as a portable player with the screen lock, or are you not using it at all?
I am using the screen lock, a pattern much like I do on my phone. It is a hassle tho.

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,971 of 4,410
I just use the 'screen pinning' feature.
Go to settings (Android settings).
Go to 'security and location'.
Down the bottom you'll find 'Screen pinning', turn this on.
There will be no changes noticable until you tap the recent apps box in the bottom right of the Android home screen.
When your app of choice is front and centre, look for the little push pin symbol in the bottom right, tap it and this will allow you access to the chosen app whenever you wake the screen by pressing the power button, without having to input your lock code or pattern.
To access anything further you still have to unlock as normal.

Using pinning has the advantage of still protecting the contents/privacy of your R5 with a pass code/pattern (and that's important as you're almost certainly signed into Google etc to use play store and streaming services) if it's stolen/lost, but gives you access to Tidal (or whatever app you choose) by simply pressing the power button to wake the screen.

Give it a try, it's a pretty convenient compromise between the convenience of not using a lock and the security of using one.

EDIT:
To turn pinning on and off, simply press the recent apps box, and pin symbol to turn on.
To turn off press the centre 'home' circle and follow the instruction to hold the back (triangle) and recent apps (square) buttons at the same time, this will then prompt a demand for your unlock code/pattern.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,973 of 4,410
Hi, I heard about Hiby's DTA and ability to bypass the android stack no matter the app. That's great, because I would like bit perfect playback with spotify.

May I know if the R5, when used with a USB DAC like the E1DA 9038S, will still get bit perfect with spotify?

I saw this in an amazon review, and would like to verify if it is true
"1. Some of the big software features HiBy advertises aren't as universal as they claim. If you are going to use a USB DAC or Bluetooth, you're going to lose out on the ability for the HiBy to bypass the Android-level restrictions on audio quality, as well as the MSEB equalizer. The MSEB equalizer is fantastic, and as long as you are wired up and on the latest firmware, it is universal. Basically, it gives you a dozen different sliders that address sound in more intuitive and logical ways than a normal equalizer, and lets you correct for any issues your headphones have. Those losses can be made up for by using other apps that address those areas."

Many thanks!

Apr 10, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,974 of 4,410
Hi, I heard about Hiby's DTA and ability to bypass the android stack no matter the app. That's great, because I would like bit perfect playback with spotify.

May I know if the R5, when used with a USB DAC like the E1DA 9038S, will still get bit perfect with spotify?

I saw this in an amazon review, and would like to verify if it is true
"1. Some of the big software features HiBy advertises aren't as universal as they claim. If you are going to use a USB DAC or Bluetooth, you're going to lose out on the ability for the HiBy to bypass the Android-level restrictions on audio quality, as well as the MSEB equalizer. The MSEB equalizer is fantastic, and as long as you are wired up and on the latest firmware, it is universal. Basically, it gives you a dozen different sliders that address sound in more intuitive and logical ways than a normal equalizer, and lets you correct for any issues your headphones have. Those losses can be made up for by using other apps that address those areas."

Many thanks!
Out of the box it may be true, but as it is an android device, it is possible to install an application such as USB audio player pro which is capable to stream bit perfectly to an external DAC. But only for locally stored music, and for Tidal and Qobuz (Spotify is not supported).
But as the R5 is pretty powerfull and very good sounding, I don't really see any interest of using an external DAC...

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,975 of 4,410
Out of the box it may be true, but as it is an android device, it is possible to install an application such as USB audio player pro which is capable to stream bit perfectly to an external DAC. But only for locally stored music, and for Tidal and Qobuz (Spotify is not supported).
But as the R5 is pretty powerfull and very good sounding, I don't really see any interest of using an external DAC...
Does USB Audio Player Pro make any difference over HiBy DTA when connected to external USB DAC?

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,976 of 4,410
Does USB Audio Player Pro make any difference over HiBy DTA when connected to external USB DAC?
If you're using any audio app, HiBy's DTA allow them to play audio stream bit perfectly through R5's internal DAC.
If you connect an external DAC, you'll need an app capable to stream the audio signal bit perfectly to this DAC. Which HiBy app can't, but other apps such as UAPP can do.
So, difference between this two cases will come from how the DAC sounds....
Hope I was clear enough, as english is not my mother's tongue.

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #1,978 of 4,410
If you're using any audio app, HiBy's DTA allow them to play audio stream bit perfectly through R5's internal DAC.
If you connect an external DAC, you'll need an app capable to stream the audio signal bit perfectly to this DAC. Which HiBy app can't, but other apps such as UAPP can do.
So, difference between this two cases will come from how the DAC sounds....
Hope I was clear enough, as english is not my mother's tongue.
The HiByMusic *app* is capable of streaming audio bit perfect to USB DACs.

The OS in general isn't, i.e. load any old app other than HiByMusic or USB Audio Player pro,
+Play through the onboard headphone amplifier--bit perfect
+Play through an outboard USB DAC--fixed 192kHz output

As you say, UAPP can be a good way to get around the latter, with its support for e.g. Tidal and Qobuz (but not Spotify).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #1,980 of 4,410
The HiByMusic *app* is capable of streaming audio bit perfect to USB DACs.

The OS in general isn't, i.e. load any old app other than HiByMusic or USB Audio Player pro,
+Play through the onboard headphone amplifier--bit perfect
+Play through an outboard USB DAC--fixed 192kHz output

As you say, UAPP can be a good way to get around the latter, with its support for e.g. Tidal and Qobuz (but not Spotify).
Sorry for that mistake...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back