R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,831 of 4,410
i got 1.7G from december but 1.71 won't update, i get a message saying the device is up to date.

hopefully @HiByMusic can advise.
I emailed service@hiby.com as i had same issue ... my new unit had 1.62G but wouldn't update to newer.
They sent me a firmware file which i could manually apply .... but the file they provided was 1.7G so i am assuming this is 'current'

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,833 of 4,410
Yes - because that's listed on the site - but it might be a typo or that 1.7G is the latest either way
1584370480321.png

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,834 of 4,410
Latest build on playstore does not have functioning hi-res driver option for r5. Test versions have this working properly, even native dsd playback.

Agree on the Ui fluidity of Uapp, a lot snappier than hiby music.

I`m running UAPP version 5.4.7 downloaded from the Play Store, and the HiRes driver function seems to decode all resolutions accurately for me (i think) i.e. 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192K.

I`m using the frequency of the song shown in the top right hand corner of the display to tell me what the actual resolution of the file is playing at . Is this not right?

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,836 of 4,410
Can decode DSD native and MQA unfolding

From what the dev told me - the figure to look at is the one next to 'Direct:' on the player line

Yeah, I've understood that's the output sample rate and file type, whereas the right size refers to source file parameters. I believe you either don't have the latest version or hiby DSD option enabled, as it seems not to play natively in your second picture :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #1,837 of 4,410
Yeah, I've understood that's the output sample rate and file type, whereas the right size refers to source file parameters. I believe you either don't have the latest version or hiby DSD option enabled, as it seems not to play natively in your second picture :)
Yeah
Forgot to switch it back on. Installed about 5 versions on Sunday and each time had to reset settings.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,838 of 4,410
1584417271803.png

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #1,839 of 4,410
Good evening all. Just joined, located this thread and thought I would pose some questions and seek your advice. I'd like to get away from my iPhone and improve my performance while streaming from Tidal. The options are limitless but I'd like to stay around the price of the R5. I could spend up to $500 if warranted but after reviewing the R5, I'm not sure that in my application, the extra money would produce a commensurate amount of value. I don't download a lot of music so the R5 would appear, along with its SD slot to offer more than enough storage for me. I'm very attracted to the "open source" capabilities among many others the unit offers, especially to download additional EQ's; while I'm not a huge fan of EQ, the proper amount of adjustment could make those IEMs close to perfect for ones taste. Was hoping those that own the R5 and have more experience might be able to offer additional insight since this is my first DAP purchase. Thanks for your consideration.

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #1,840 of 4,410
Hiby saying detection for ota update is now fixed
1584432349745.png

I also asked about the Hiby Music app - so they're saying is this month ... so that'll be the album-artist sorting feature (among others)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #1,841 of 4,410
Hiby saying detection for ota update is now fixed
I also asked about the Hiby Music app - so they're saying is this month ... so that'll be the album-artist sorting feature (among others)

OTA also working for me now.. !!

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,842 of 4,410
Well, I was wrong about my random stoppages being linked to Spotify 'offline mode' as they still occur when offline mode is switched off in Spotify controls.

So far Hiby have been responsive, but I thought I'd worked out how to avoid this by switching 'offline mode' off in Spotify, so they probably haven't looked into it much.
I've just emailed them again to admit my 'cure' isn't working after-all.

The R5 is absolutely superb in all other ways that I can think of, so I'm determined to get this fixed as it's driving me mad.

The vast majority of my listening is Spotify. Much of it in offline mode.
I usually just choose a playlist and shuffle it.

Is no-one else suffering these unexplained halts in playback?

Does anyone else in this thread use Spotify?

I've updated Spotify to the most recent version, and the Hiby updater is telling me the R5 is up to date too (1.7).

I'm stumped :disappointed:

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #1,843 of 4,410
Well, I was wrong about my random stoppages being linked to Spotify 'offline mode' as they still occur when offline mode is switched off in Spotify controls.

So far Hiby have been responsive, but I thought I'd worked out how to avoid this by switching 'offline mode' off in Spotify, so they probably haven't looked into it much.
I've just emailed them again to admit my 'cure' isn't working after-all.

The R5 is absolutely superb in all other ways that I can think of, so I'm determined to get this fixed as it's driving me mad.

The vast majority of my listening is Spotify. Much of it in offline mode.
I usually just choose a playlist and shuffle it.

Is no-one else suffering these unexplained halts in playback?

Does anyone else in this thread use Spotify?

I've updated Spotify to the most recent version, and the Hiby updater is telling me the R5 is up to date too (1.7).

I'm stumped :disappointed:
I use Spotify a lot with no issues at all, however I haven't tried any offline downloads.

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #1,845 of 4,410
Hmmm,
On a few occasions I've noticed that Spotify stopped playback all by itself, and this morning the problem was MUCH worse (I didn't even register the issue before as it was so rare, maybe 5-6 occurrences in the week I've had the player).
The first few tracks I listened to were interrupted about every second track or thereabouts, so I stopped and re-started Spotify but the problem persisted and was happening every track, every few minutes, once it even stopped immediately after I pressed play (1-2 seconds).

This was Spotify offline mode, wifi turned off.
Playing from the (known to be good) sd card, no other apps running (only youtube and Soundcloud installed in addition to Spotify).

Running Spotify version 8.5.48.1049 with Hiby V1.7G. No equalizer used.
No other apps running, but i have Amazon Music, Neutron, UAPP and Poweramp installed.
Downloaded the playlist "Massive Dance Hits" in high quality, then switched to "offline" mode. Storage is my 256GB sd card. WiFi/Bluetooth turned off
I didn`t get a single stutter/interruption on the 10 tracks i played back to back. Even tried jumping a few tracks .. flawless

Do you have enough free storage on your card? (Spotify > Settings > Storage)
What is your cache value at? Have you tried deleting your cache?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back