R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 9, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #1,803 of 4,410
That does describe my Bluetooth experience I think. Checking boxes doesn't seem to change anything, and whether I connect from my phone or the R5, it behaves the same where it says it's connected and then immediately drops the connection.
Have you made absolutely sure you have disconnected all other devices around from Bluetooth? Disconnect absolutely everything else.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,806 of 4,410
Wifi settings on the R5? I could not find anywhere to do that.
Don't know if it is the same as the r6 (can't imagine it would be different but you never know) try this :-

Open wifi so it shows the network.

See those three dots in a horizontal row? Tap that.

Press Advanced

You should now see a load of options. One of them is called Wi-fi Frequency band with three options. Automatic, 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

Pick the one you want.

As I said that's how it is on the r6, but might be worth a go on the r5.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,807 of 4,410
Don't know if it is the same as the r6 (can't imagine it would be different but you never know) try this :-

Open wifi so it shows the network.

See those three dots in a horizontal row? Tap that.

Press Advanced

You should now see a load of options. One of them is called Wi-fi Frequency band with three options. Automatic, 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

Pick the one you want.

As I said that's how it is on the r6, but might be worth a go on the r5.
its different on r6 compared to r5

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,809 of 4,410
Hmmm,
On a few occasions I've noticed that Spotify stopped playback all by itself, and this morning the problem was MUCH worse (I didn't even register the issue before as it was so rare, maybe 5-6 occurrences in the week I've had the player).
The first few tracks I listened to were interrupted about every second track or thereabouts, so I stopped and re-started Spotify but the problem persisted and was happening every track, every few minutes, once it even stopped immediately after I pressed play (1-2 seconds).

This was Spotify offline mode, wifi turned off.
Playing from the (known to be good) sd card, no other apps running (only youtube and Soundcloud installed in addition to Spotify).

I've since emailed Hiby re' this issue, then uninstalled Youtube just on the off-chance it was the culprit.
Since another restart I've listened to about 15 tracks without interruption, so either it's a Youtube app related issue, or it's very intermittent, or solved itself, dunno which.

I'm back to enjoying my tunes again now, and will report here again if the issue reoccurs.

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,810 of 4,410
Hi, recently purchased the R5 and like it so far but can't seem to get the latest firmware. It came with build v 1.62 and when I try to get an over the air update, it indicates that I'm on the latest firmware (although it seems I'm 2 back). Any assistance on getting around this to the latest would be appreciated.

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,812 of 4,410
I finally got Bluetooth mostly working. The trick for me was to unpair the R5, then go into the R5 Bluetooth settings and click on Bluetooth audio input, then on my phone initiate pairing again. After doing this I can at least send audio from the phone to the R5 via LDAC.

I've also discovered a new minor issue, the night light option in the Display settings doesn't work if you select the sunset to sunrise schedule. Not a big deal, but it does seem to be a bug.

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,815 of 4,410
I finally got Bluetooth mostly working. The trick for me was to unpair the R5, then go into the R5 Bluetooth settings and click on Bluetooth audio input, then on my phone initiate pairing again. After doing this I can at least send audio from the phone to the R5 via LDAC.

I've also discovered a new minor issue, the night light option in the Display settings doesn't work if you select the sunset to sunrise schedule. Not a big deal, but it does seem to be a bug.
Brilliant!
That worked for me too, thanks.
I use the Night-light thing without issue, but that's dumb luck on my part as I'd set custom hours rather than going for sunset/sunrise.

The issue I've been having where playback in Spotify was getting interrupted (every second track, without fail, it was weird) may have a solution/workaround.
I've been using offline storage in Spotify, and toggling the 'offline mode' in Spotify settings to ON.
For some reason this seems to be causing the stoppages.
So the TL/DR is that this seems to be a Spotify problem rather than an R5 one, and if you're suffering unexplained pauses in Spotify playback, try switching OFF the 'Offline Mode' in Spotify settings and maybe that'll sort things (I think it's off by default, but I'd turned it on whilst away from home).

If you want to preserve battery by preventing the R5 from connecting to your wifi network (or constantly searching for a network), just switch wifi off in the Android controls.
Offline content will still be available as normal, so there's no need to switch the Spotify offline mode toggle to ON anyway.
This will prevent you from listening to offline Spotify content and simultaneously using another app that requires network access, but I can't think of any occasions where I've needed to do that on my R5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back