R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,232 of 4,410
Another update out. Amazon music is fixed again. Sounds great!
Yup...was gonna report out but you did. Updating now.

I had to go back in developer settings to fix LDAC.

With every update.LDAC resets to the lowest 330kbps which causes static when I stream from my LG V35. V35 pushes the max bit rate out to the R5. Had to crank it back to SONY specs 990kpbs

FYI, turning off replay gain on the Hiby Music App made my music very transparent, increased the height, depth and widened the sound field even more via Shuoer Tape IEM. This is with Zero effects turned on.

I thought replay gain wasn't like Normalization which many of us hate for messing with the music but I guess I was wrong.

Music has more air around it and even more enjoyable Now...loving this DAP more each day.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,233 of 4,410
Yup...was gonna report out but you did. Updating now.

I had to go back in developer settings to fix LDAC.

With every update.LDAC resets to the lowest 330kbps which causes static when I stream from my LG V35. V35 pushes the max bit rate out to the R5. Had to crank it back to SONY specs 990kpbs

FYI, turning off replay gain on the Hiby Music App made my music very transparent, increased the height, depth and widened the sound field even more via Shuoer Tape IEM. This is with Zero effects turned on.

I thought replay gain wasn't like Normalization which many of us hate for messing with the music but I guess I was wrong.

Music has more air around it and even more enjoyable Now...loving this DAP more each day.
But you are right... replaygain only changes the volume of the whole track to prevent track volumes from being all over the place between albums.

The thing is it usually does that by lowering the volume of louder tracks, so of course the moment you turn it off the track sounds louder which almost everyone perceives as an improvement in sound quality when the change in volume is not pointed out or noticed. The volume stepping up every time you turn it off and stepping down every time you turn it on also makes comparison very difficult.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 2, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,235 of 4,410
But you are right... replaygain only changes the volume of the whole track to prevent track volumes from being all over the place between albums.

The thing is it usually does that by lowering the volume of louder tracks, so of course the moment you turn it off the track sounds louder which almost everyone perceives as an improvement in sound quality when the change in volume is not pointed out or noticed. The volume stepping up every time you turn it off and stepping down every time you turn it on also makes comparison very difficult.

Good to know. My brain tells me, with it off...it's better and lets tracks shine as they were mastered.i have noticed older albums used to record lower than new stuff. Maybe that's why a lot of older stuff has been remastered.Thx for the info

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #1,236 of 4,410
I have been looking intensely at the Hiby R5 but price is simply out of my price range.

Then along comes the Hiby R3 Pro announcement and suddenly a Hiby DAP could still be in my future. Double the battery life of R3 at 20 hours SE, dual Cirrus Logic DAC chips and Bluetooth 5.0. Price and more specs to come soon I hope.

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,239 of 4,410
Am I doing something wrong with Amazon Music HD? It doesn't matter if I am listening to a normal quality track, HD or Ultra HD. The quality on the status bar only ever says it's playing at 192K. On tidal, normal quality plays at 44.1K and MQA at 384K according to the status bar, so I don't understand why Amazon is only ever playing at 192K.

EDIT... On checking the quality when it is playing through the app, it would appear that the R5 is always reporting the device capability rather than what it is playing at such as below....

HD track
Track quality 16 bit/44.1KHz
Device Capability 24 bit/192KHz
Currently playing at 16 bit/44.1KHz

Still showing as playing at 192K on the status bar.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #1,240 of 4,410
Anyone driving full-sized planar headphones via 4.4mm? How's your experience? Is the R5 powerful enough to drive them?

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,241 of 4,410
C1B634B6-3830-4604-9496-354804194229.jpeg

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #1,242 of 4,410
Am I doing something wrong with Amazon Music HD? It doesn't matter if I am listening to a normal quality track, HD or Ultra HD. The quality on the status bar only ever says it's playing at 192K. On tidal, normal quality plays at 44.1K and MQA at 384K according to the status bar, so I don't understand why Amazon is only ever playing at 192K.

EDIT... On checking the quality when it is playing through the app, it would appear that the R5 is always reporting the device capability rather than what it is playing at such as below....

HD track
Track quality 16 bit/44.1KHz
Device Capability 24 bit/192KHz
Currently playing at 16 bit/44.1KHz

Still showing as playing at 192K on the status bar.
Despite what it says there, the player is only ever receiving audio from Amazon at 192kHz... No tomfoolery going on at our end

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 4, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,244 of 4,410

Users who are viewing this thread

Back