R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #196 of 4,409
No heat, volume 62 on low gain, balanced out. Quality of glass top and bottom is stellar, and my buttons feel wonderful. I haven't tried multitasking yet, but so far after restart it's pretty fast and fluid.

Maybe he got a pre production or bum unit?

Top glass- bottom glass- buttons honestly this thing feels like a well built little brick- it has some weight despite it's small size.

I will keep checking for heat, but so far other than Sony this thing has been the coolest temp dap I've owned lately.

Here's a shot of the side - buttons, the blemish you see on the screen edge is the protector not fitting the 2.5 curved glass edge.

Tool.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #197 of 4,409
The R5 sounds very promising. I'm between this and the DX160 but it looks it doesn't support Play Store.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #198 of 4,409
Sounds great! I am so close to ordering one right now lol. If you don't mind, I just remembered one last thing. Does it have an easy to use 10-band EQ? I need that for my lcd-i4.

Um yes, just tried SE out, and it sounds less powerful, thinner and a narrower stage. Imo balanced is the way to go. Fuller, more spacious and better bass on balanced imo.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #199 of 4,409
So far this is my dream player. Powerful and small.
It's looking like my dream player too! My only hesitation now is that Sony might release something soon that's even better lol. I doubt it but they could announce something at ifa. I'm fighting hard to not go to musicteck and order right now. I really appreciate you giving all of your feedback!

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #201 of 4,409
Would be interested to hear your initial impressions on how it compares to the M11? Thanks.

A little less but more controlled bass on r5 and a touch more treble energy, otherwise very close. Balanced out.

Btw, bluetooth sounds very good- ldac and the transmission distance is good also.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #202 of 4,409
A little less but more controlled bass on r5 and a touch more treble energy, otherwise very close. Balanced out.

Btw, bluetooth sounds very good- ldac and the transmission distance is good also.

Thank you for the reply. Given the very positive reviews of the M11, sound like Hiby have done a really good job with the R5.

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #203 of 4,409
Thank you for the reply. Given the very positive reviews of the M11, sound like Hiby have done a really good job with the R5.

Yes, very. The m11 is a bit faster and smoother and it's got the 2.5 balanced and a bigger screen but the r5 has Google play and it's a lot smaller/pocketable.

I really like that you have stellar sound and full android in such a small package.

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #205 of 4,409
Have you heard the Anole vx? Do you think it would pair well? People say that the Sony daps are a bit warm which I like.

Sorry, haven't heard it. But the r5 isn't warm, so a slightly warmer iem or phones would probably pair better.

Or you could use mseb or eq to tweak it to your liking. My main iems have a really good bass response so they sound great with r5. The bass goes deep and hits hard but it's leaner than say m11 or zx300. Or maybe it's because the treble is extended?

:)

Oh,
and my r5 hasn't gotten even a bit warm tonight.

Edit, edit

The front screen protector sucks, It just a piece of soft plastic like a slightly thicker version of shrink wrap with a ton of adhesive.

I took it off because it was really taking prints, I'll have to find a decent one and a leather case would be nice also

Screen protector, balled up

20190903_233345.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #206 of 4,409
Sorry, haven't heard it. But the r5 isn't warm, so a slightly warmer iem or phones would probably pair better.

Or you could use mseb or eq to tweak it to your liking. My main iems have a really good bass response so they sound great with r5. The bass goes deep and hits hard but it's leaner than say m11 or zx300. Or maybe it's because the treble is extended?

:)

Oh,
and my r5 hasn't gotten even a bit warm tonight.
Hmm.. alright. The Anole has the best bass you can get from a BA setup, so I won't worry about that. The VX can sound a bit intense, though. It's great on the zx300, but I worry a bit with the r5. I'll have to wait until someone tries the pairing

Sep 4, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #208 of 4,409
On Hiby or on futureshop?

I preordered one on the 18th, was meant to come end of Aug, but retailer is stalling saying stock arriving 'first week of sept'
I sent to A1, still waiting reply

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #209 of 4,409
Have you heard the Anole vx? Do you think it would pair well? People say that the Sony daps are a bit warm which I like.

Hey - I have a Hiby R5 on the way via DHL. It hasnt shipped out but i have a tracking id. I'll let you know how it sounds with VX, but if you want to also check it out in person, feel free to hit me up and we can meet up again! :)

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #210 of 4,409
Hey - I have a Hiby R5 on the way via DHL. It hasnt shipped out but i have a tracking id. I'll let you know how it sounds with VX, but if you want to also check it out in person, feel free to hit me up and we can meet up again! :)
Dude yes! I would love to. Are you getting it before the meet? I forgot to respond about that, but I do want to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back