R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 10, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #406 of 4,410
@Joe Bloggs, you have any hint here? I heard that now a couple of time, and the Samsug Fast Charger are fully Qualcom compatible

Yes I've been using a regular samsung charger which is pretty fast, but it would be great to take advantage of the quick charge.

On another note, I find it very cool that the different audio players have different presentations. With neutron I'm getting the wide spread out kind of normal presentation, which of course sounds great.

With hiby player I'm getting a more 3d image with more depth, which is very intoxicating. I've been using it the most. These are both using eq at the sub bass level to add a touch of warmth and body- 3db boost at about 30 hz. No other effects.

I haven't tried Fiio yet.

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #408 of 4,410
Well, full detailed R5 review is up! Check it out here.

hiby-r5-07.jpg hiby-r5-09.jpg hiby-r5-23.jpg hiby-r5-28.jpg hiby-r5-29.jpg hiby-r5-31.jpg

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #411 of 4,410
Nice review as always. No nasty surprises with the ohm thing that plagued the original r6 then?

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #413 of 4,410
...and wifi for streaming and usb c

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #414 of 4,410
Very happy to hear this is looking like a solid choice! Mine should arrive tomorrow!

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #416 of 4,410
$400 is still not that great price.
You can buy a used or open box Sony ZX300 for under $350 on Ebay now.
I would choose Sony ZX300 over this.
Are you just trying to be edgy or something? I own both and the r5 is a definite upgrade.

You don't own either so you don't get to say lol.

The ONLY thing that the zx300 does better is 3ish more hours of battery life from the balanced jack. The r5 single end sounds fantastic, which has 18 hrs. By the time I plug in the adapter and switch over, I can't even hear a difference.

I'll sell you my zx300 for 300 though, if you wanna put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #417 of 4,410
I get that holographic 3d depth using hiby app, but I get a wider presentation with neutron. Anyways nice thorough review.

what headphones are you using? I went through many. Something like Beyers T5p 2nd gen or Empyrean are naturally wide and expanded, so R5 doesn't handicap it. But with many iems and when compared to other daps from 4.4mm bal output the soundstage is narrower, giving me a more intimate feeling of the space. Imaging is excellent and the placement of instruments/vocals is accurate as well, just the width was shrunk a bit. But damn, I was impressed how well it was driving Empyrean and T5p2. And nearly quiet with U18t and Noir Fourte. Just a little waterfall hissing with Andro and Solaris - that's better than R6Pro and M11, though it (R5) sounds nearly identical to M11.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #419 of 4,410
Nice review as always. No nasty surprises with the ohm thing that plagued the original r6 then?

those high impedance surprises were over with R6Pro :wink: Though, due to higher power, R6Pro had more hissing with sensitive low impedance iems, R5 is all good, surprisingly quiet even from 4.4mm and on high gain. And, as I mentioned in the review, the AnTuTu 3D benchmark score is identical to R6pro, this little guy is super fast. JUST, take off that rubbery screen protector, it is awful :D At least ruined my experience until I took it off. The glass is smooth and very responsive.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #420 of 4,410
Well, few bugs to report:
1) as I wrote above, device is not charging with Samsung Fast Charger (from LED it seems to be charged somehow intermittently?? ) strange
2) same like someone wrote, device keeps glowing blue even during sleeping, after some time it very unpredictably dim and glow again. Didn't found the logic yet but I am sure this led should be off when device is not used.
3) Probably connected to issue 2 - terrible battery drain during sleeping (not playing anything, wifi and BT off, all apps killed), 40 % in 2 hours. In power settings only process identified - Google Play services, recovered to factory setting but still the same. I killed Google play services in background, removed all permissions and will wait for results, I really dont understand this, must be bug, I never experienced this on my phone. BTW during this strange state device keeps warm even without any activity or playing.

Issues 2 and 3 seems to be interconnected and unpredictable, yesterday I didnt spot this and today immediately even after factory recovery (so any changes in settings from my side are irrelevant).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back