R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #182 of 4,409
Okay that sounds different from the last review.
So it seems he really got a bad luck device.

Good to hear yours is all fine! And.. No heat on your device?

No heat, volume 62 on low gain, balanced out. Quality of glass top and bottom is stellar, and my buttons feel wonderful. I haven't tried multitasking yet, but so far after restart it's pretty fast and fluid.

Maybe he got a pre production or bum unit?

Top glass- bottom glass- buttons honestly this thing feels like a well built little brick- it has some weight despite it's small size.

I will keep checking for heat, but so far other than Sony this thing has been the coolest temp dap I've owned lately.

20190903_161007.jpg
20190903_161049.jpg
20190903_161102.jpg

Here's a shot of the side - buttons, the blemish you see on the screen edge is the protector not fitting the 2.5 curved glass edge.

20190903_162049.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #183 of 4,409
Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts! Wow lol the side buttons look preeeetty similar to the ones on the zx300. I'm curious about another thing.. how it sounds single ended. Does it sound worse or does it just have less power? I'm hoping I could run my IEMs from there because 18 hrs of battery life

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #184 of 4,409
Thanks for that. I know him for his honest and independent reviews.

He addresses 3 things that make me wonder..
1. 40-50 degree of temperature with standard use.. That's pretty hot and uncomfortable to be honest.
2. The build quality of the below glass and the buttons seems to be not too good, and he shows why. I hope that this is just a single bad device.
3. The Android system seems to be quite slow when having multiple apps opened. Nothing too bad but disturbing in daily use I guess

If you have lots of apps open and are playing DSD files, the Snapdragon processor would likely get hot. It is designed primarily as an Audio Player, and does not have enough RAM to run multiple background apps.
Maybe one of our German friends can tell us if he was running lots of apps, and/or playing higher rate DSD Files? Or driving high impedance/low efficiency earphones on high gain,and maybe high volume setting?

If you really push any android phone, like playing video games with lots of graphics and processor power, they get hot too. (40-50 Degrees C) This doesn't have the same RAM or the Newest processor, so can't do what new "flagship" phones can do without getting warm/hot when trying.

Anyway, hope it's cooler when just being used as a DAP with maybe one Player APP running. And hope the build quality is better in the full production units.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #185 of 4,409
idk why all of these players are coming out with curved screen glass. i'll take a nice flat screen for good fitting protectors over them any day.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #186 of 4,409
If you have lots of apps open and are playing DSD files, the Snapdragon processor would likely get hot. It is designed primarily as an Audio Player, and does not have enough RAM to run multiple background apps.
Maybe one of our German friends can tell us if he was running lots of apps, and/or playing higher rate DSD Files? Or driving high impedance/low efficiency earphones on high gain,and maybe high volume setting?

If you really push any android phone, like playing video games with lots of graphics and processor power, they get hot too. (40-50 Degrees C) This doesn't have the same RAM or the Newest processor, so can't do what new "flagship" phones can do without getting warm/hot when trying.

Anyway, hope it's cooler when just being used as a DAP with maybe one Player APP running. And hope the build quality is better in the full production units.

It's very cool, and the build is stellar, and sounds fantastic. I got mine through musicteck in the US. I left batteries in my temp gauge and ruined it, but I can't detect any heat anywhere on the player, I put it in my cheeks, not warm at all.

Will have to try bluetooth and some different apps and streaming. So far it's really nice.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #187 of 4,409
Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts! Wow lol the side buttons look preeeetty similar to the ones on the zx300. I'm curious about another thing.. how it sounds single ended. Does it sound worse or does it just have less power? I'm hoping I could run my IEMs from there because 18 hrs of battery life
I will try SE out but it will be later, got some work to do.:)

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #191 of 4,409
Neutron working great, multitasking very snappy. Only the tiniest amount of heat with r5 in case and in my pocket.

That guy had to get a lemon, I'm browsing listening to hi res and no heat.

20190903_173036.jpg

20190903_173402.jpg

20190903_163814.jpg

I'll check bluetooth and SE out in a bit.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #192 of 4,409
Sounds great! I am so close to ordering one right now lol. If you don't mind, I just remembered one last thing. Does it have an easy to use 10-band EQ? I need that for my lcd-i4.

Yes you can use hiby's in the app or mseb or if you want to get even more control the insane peq of neutron.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #193 of 4,409
No heat, volume 62 on low gain, balanced out. Quality of glass top and bottom is stellar, and my buttons feel wonderful. I haven't tried multitasking yet, but so far after restart it's pretty fast and fluid.

Maybe he got a pre production or bum unit?

Top glass- bottom glass- buttons honestly this thing feels like a well built little brick- it has some weight despite it's small size.

I will keep checking for heat, but so far other than Sony this thing has been the coolest temp dap I've owned lately.

Here's a shot of the side - buttons, the blemish you see on the screen edge is the protector not fitting the 2.5 curved glass edge.

What did they pay you... :thinking:

Seriously, it sounds that there really was an early state device sent to that German reviewer from audionext. There were similar things happening when the r3 came out.

Your information looks promising. I am curious about other revues to follow. And big thanks for reporting all that stuff to us
:thumbsup:

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #195 of 4,409
What did they pay you... :thinking:

Seriously, it sounds that there really was an early state device sent to that German reviewer from audionext. There were similar things happening when the r3 came out.

Your information looks promising. I am curious about other revues to follow. And big thanks for reporting all that stuff to us
:thumbsup:

Lol, I'm not affiliated with nobody :) Yes his player is 180° from mine. Although there were some hiccups when I first scanned my files - was very fast, and it took a bit to do the google bit. I paid 408 dollars shipped and so far I'm very impressed.

I can feel the slightest bit of heat on the back with the tpu case on, I let it run while I was catching up on some things. But I couldn't even call it warm.

I have to get a leather case, this things too nice for the tpu :)

Oh and the screen is really nice, of course. Only thing is the tuning is pretty neutral, so if you have treble forward stuff, it might not be a good match, I always add a bit of bass with neutron. Bass is well controlled though and sub bass is there.

Also got a 32 gig micro card lol, a bag, and a really nice branded hiby 2.5 to 4.4 cable. I think all the early peeps get these.

20190903_175432.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back