R10, Orpheus and now Omega II
May 9, 2002 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jatinder

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Not bragging -- just extremely excited - but I've just received an Omega II with 007t amp on loan.

It's currently co-habiting with my R10/HP4 and my Orpheus.

Expect a brief comparison of the three soon...

--Jatinder

May 9, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 18
You bragging person!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Team Cheapo

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 9, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 18
jatinder, you are THE MAN!

You do realize the earth-shattering responsibility of having unlimited acccess in your own environment to all three crown jewels of the headphone world, don't you? No one on the planet has ever likely had such unfettered access to those goodies, this must be some kind of first.

We know it's not your style, jatinder, but there's a lot of jealous monkeys here who want detailed comparisons! I'll be hanging on every word. Cheers.

markl

May 9, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
jatinder, you are THE MAN!

You do realize the earth-shattering responsibility of having unlimited acccess in your own environment to all three crown jewels of the headphone world, don't you? No one on the planet has ever likely had such unfettered access to those goodies, this must be some kind of first.

We know it's not your style, jatinder, but there's a lot of jealous monkeys here who want detailed comparisons! I'll be hanging on every word. Cheers.

markl

I would agree.
Just the thought makes this jealous monkey's head want to explode!
very_evil_smiley.gif

cwmboom2.gif

May 9, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

No one on the planet has ever likely had such unfettered access to those goodies, this must be some kind of first

Hehehe..... I am sure Jatinder's is NOT the first
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 18
Jatinder,

I agree with Mark - you are definitely, the MAN. I can't wait to hear your comparison of the three systems. If you feel the compulsion to go beyond brevity and post a comprehensive comparison, well, I won't hold it against you (especially as I won't be able to hear the Orpheus unless I go to Headroom's show, and I may never get to hear the R10).

Please tell me you don't have all this hooked up to a portable MD player or soundcard!
tongue.gif

May 9, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Please tell me you don't have all this hooked up to a portable MD player or soundcard!

Nah...he only has a Marantz SA-1 SACD player.
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 18
lol Audio&Me...

If the HD600 were better than the 'Big O', or at least on a level par, wouldn't they cost about 50 times more than they do at the moment?

I'd love to be the company that does your household insurance Jatinder
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nice
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 18
Dunc, not this argument again.
wink.gif

Seriously, though, while I know that the Orpheus headphones are electrostatics, in some ways their sonic characteristics sounded to me as though they were an extremely refined HD600. Highs are smooth, midrange very sweet, bass taut but pushed forward a little bit.

Given proper amplification the HD600 can be compared to the Orpheus, though I don't believe it could ever surpass the Orpheus no matter what. I really thought the Blockhead was in the same league as the Orpheus, though perhaps they are at opposite ends. With the Cardas balanced cable perhaps the Blockhead/600 come even closer to rivaling the "Big O."

The problem I would have with the Cary/600 combo is that it gets to the point of emphasizing parts of the 600 that are already disliked by some, and even for enthusiasts, emphasis of these parts could make them dislike the headphone. The Cary is a sweet-sounding headphone amp, warm, enveloping. But put too much lush warmth with the HD600 and you might just have a problem.

I have yet to hear the R10 in good circumstances, but from what I've heard, the three set-ups at the very top of headphone listening are the Orpheus, Omega2, and Blockhead/600, in that order.

May 9, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 18
lol Dan, i'm not opening up an old chestnut, have no fear...

I'm about to admit a revelation as it goes... all will be revealed soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back