R.I.P Kirby Puckett ( 1960-2006 )
Mar 7, 2006 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mtkversion

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Posts
961
Likes
17
Sad day for baseball fans.

Grew up watching him ...

frown.gif
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 15

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
21,332
Likes
32
What the HECK he was too young to die! Oh MAN I grew up watching him!
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 15

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Posts
14,427
Likes
196
man... I used to watch him all the time when the twins would visit Oakland. Enjoyed watching him play.

RIP KP

Garrett
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 15

GuffMorgan

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Posts
590
Likes
10
In fact, didn't he refuse offers to go to other teams that would pay him more because he loved the Twins' fans? That in of itself is a very noble gesture, there aren't too many other ball players around that would do the same.
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 15

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
Joined
Dec 9, 2001
Posts
3,180
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kissell123
radrd, how can you say he is a jerk? All Ive heard about him is good things. He donated a lot of money.

His wife on the other hand...kinda bitchy. I met her once at my brothers preschool years ago.



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...11/si_puckett/

True? Not true? Where there's smoke there's fire. Just because someone is good at sports and has enough money to donate to charity doesn't make them a good person.

And regardless, anyone who pretty much eats himself to death doesn't rate very high in my book.
 
Mar 8, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 15

Jmmmmm

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 4, 2005
Posts
2,088
Likes
10
It's sad, he was my favorite baseball player. I have every single one of his baseball cards (except 2 or three) until I stopped collecting.

RIP Kirby
 
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 15

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Posts
2,194
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
He was a jerk and he pretty much killed himself. Good riddance.


You think he's a jerk because of an article that is based almost entirely on the words of an ex-wife and ex-lover? I'm sure there is some truth in there, but how do you know his ex-lover isn't just some completely pissed off, jaded, b-tch? That, coupled with the fact that he overate and you say "good riddance?"

When someone starts a thread to pay respect to someone who just died, unless you've got something more incrimnating than an SI article based on limited sources, why don't you keep it to yourself?
 
Mar 8, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 15

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
Joined
Dec 9, 2001
Posts
3,180
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
When someone starts a thread to pay respect to someone who just died, unless you've got something more incrimnating than an SI article based on limited sources, why don't you keep it to yourself?


Because I don't have to. It's much more entertaining read your response than to simply not say anything at all. Plus, I genuinely feel that too much is being made of Kirby Puckett. Great baseball player? Yes! Does that make him a national hero? No. And the way he died makes me say good riddance. I'm glad he just kicked the bucket, instead of us having to watch him continue to spiral downward for the next ten years or so.
 
Mar 8, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 15

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Posts
2,194
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
Because I don't have to. It's much more entertaining read your response than to simply not say anything at all. Plus, I genuinely feel that too much is being made of Kirby Puckett. Great baseball player? Yes! Does that make him a national hero? No. And the way he died makes me say good riddance. I'm glad he just kicked the bucket, instead of us having to watch him continue to spiral downward for the next ten years or so.


Of course you don't have to. It's the internet after all. I'm glad you're entertained, but there are more appropriate threads for entertainment.

I'm not sitting around mourning Kirby Puckett by any means. That being said, I also realize that for some people, his death invokes fond memories of times spent watching a great player. Furthermore, in many cases, those memories relate to times spent with fathers, grandfathers, etc. who have also passed away.

But you're right, you are free to say whatever you want and be as big of an internet a-hole as you want.
 
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 15

utep10

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2003
Posts
988
Likes
10
He was a great hitter. It's too bad he wasn't able to really acclimate himself to life after baseball.
 
Mar 8, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 15

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
21,332
Likes
32
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
He was a great hitter. It's too bad he wasn't able to really acclimate himself to life after baseball.


the way he had to leave the game - getting hit in the jaw by a pitch and then having glaucoma rob his sight - is a hard pill to swallow, especially if you think you still have game. i mean look at the Rocket, he had tons of perfect endings to go out on, yet keeps coming back because his body is still telling him he's got game left. if Jordan left for baseball for the first time, then got a career-ending injury down in the minors, he probably would have gone off the deep end and ate or gambled his life away too. it's hard to not be able to walk away on your own terms.
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 15

utep10

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2003
Posts
988
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
the way he had to leave the game - getting hit in the jaw by a pitch and then having glaucoma rob his sight - is a hard pill to swallow, especially if you think you still have game. i mean look at the Rocket, he had tons of perfect endings to go out on, yet keeps coming back because his body is still telling him he's got game left. if Jordan left for baseball for the first time, then got a career-ending injury down in the minors, he probably would have gone off the deep end and ate or gambled his life away too. it's hard to not be able to walk away on your own terms.



I agree that it is a "hard pill to swallow". I have no idea how Jordon would have handled it. Everyone is equipped differently.

I do think though, that there are many who can over come such circumstances. Locally here, Dave Dravecky is a good example.

Anyway, Kirby just happened to be someone we got to watch do his job and he did it well.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top