R.I.P. John Linsley Hood - Passed Away March 2004
Mar 13, 2004 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

guzzler

Headphoneus Supremus
Sad news for all members of Pure Class-A from the UK...

I read today that Mr John Linsley Hood passed away yesterday; a sad day for British audio electronics and someone who contributed much to all

our thoughts are with his family..

g

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 10
Even though I have only briefly encounted the work of John Linsley Hood when researching the Chiara, it does seem his work has made a lasting impact in the world of DIY electronics and I am sure he will be sadly missed by many.

We should also celebrate his life that produced so much educational material and well loved electronic designs which were often freely published for all to use, helping to create a whole new generation of electronic Diyer's.

Wordsworth

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 10
John Linsley Hood was one of the most highly respected electronic engineers in the world, his influence on the design of quality audio amplifers has been considerable and will continue for many years to come.

The man himself may have passed away but his great work will live on and will inspire future generations of engineers. His designs have brought pleasure and musical enjoyment to DIY'ers and lovers of music alike and I, for one, would just like to say "thanks for the music John"

Hope you're up there reading this Mr. Hood and I trust God has set aside his premium workshop for you with lots of attractive angel assistants. We'll all be up with you one of these days and I'm sure heaven will sound a lot better with a JLH Class A rig.

Pinkie.

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Amen....

Mar 13, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 10
This is very sad news.
frown.gif

I have followed Johns work for over 30 years, in fact my hi-fi is based around his designs and is still the best sounding amplification I have yet heard and I have compared it against some very exotic (and madly expensive) kit.

John may be gone but his work will bring pleasure to many for generations to come.

guzzler - where did you read this sad news?

Mar 13, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 10
RIP to one of the true pioneers of high fidelity audio...

He may be equalled in the future, but highly likely will never be surpassed.

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Sad news indeed; 3/12/04 was the day my Wife & I left on vacation. We are fortunate that three of Johns books are still being published; making his wisdom & knowledge in the audio field available for all to benefit from.

I first became aware of his work in the pages of Wireless World in the mid 70's. I still have the issue with a phono preamp that was part of a complete preamplifier, control center. It feels as though I have lost a friend I never had the priviledge to meet in person.

As he stated in some thoughts published in 96; audio was really a hobby that always held his interest & we are the richer for it.
Our sympathies are extended to his family.

The music will continue on through his designs & influence.
R.I.P., John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back