R.I.P. Dennis Johnson (NBA Legend)
Feb 23, 2007 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Solitary1

1000+ Head-Fier
A moment of silence for one of my all time favorite NBA players. A born Celtic hater I am, but like Larry Legend you just had to give props to D.J. for his all-around play and clutch shooting. I'll never forget the defensive job he did on Kevin Grevey of the Washington Bullets in the '79 NBA Finals when he was a Seattle Supersonic. I have never seen a professional athlete so taken out of his game by an opponent.

And of course the Celtic years, he was brought in to defend Andrew Toney of the '76ers who was eating the Celtics for lunch. Toney's career was cut short by injuries, but D.J. helped the Celtics get 2 more rings. I just knew he was going to be the Celtics' head coach one day soon (the sooner the better with the job Doc Rivers has been doing I said).

He passed away today still doing what he loved, coaching an NBDL team in Austin.

We'll miss you.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Oh man that is sad. I used to love watching him, Ainge and jerry Sichting battle it out with michael cooper / Byron scott, Joe Dumars / Isaiah thomas

RIP DJ

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man that is sad. I used to love watching him, Ainge and jerry Sichting battle it out with michael cooper / Byron scott, Joe Dumars / Isaiah thomas

RIP DJ

Not to crap on my own thread, but dude as of that post you're 2 posts short of 10,000. You must have nubs for fingers. Congratulations!

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Yeah, I remember moving to Phoenix and he was my favorite player on the Suns. The Suns traded him to Boston for Rick Robey! What were they thinking? He was one of the best defensive guards in the NBA. Unbelievably quick hands. I followed him, as a fan, to Boston and was happy to see him turn that team around.
icon10.gif
Well, I guess Bird and those other guys helped, but they really needed DJ to get over the hump!

RIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back