Quloos QA390
Apr 12, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #46 of 138
I too would love to have a comparison between the DMP-Z1 and QA390, especially with a separated amp (how I plan to use it). Love the different uning options of the sony of course...but the wait to have it at a "good" price will be long. Have some around 5500$ in yahoo auctions, still expensive. Here in Switzerland it costs 8000chf new, hard to swallow !

May 1, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #47 of 138
By the way, no one knows if it is possible to connect a bluetooth remote control to the player? I understand that he has a native, but he works with an IR signal. This is not very convenient for portable use.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #52 of 138
I have both QA390 and DMP-Z1. QA390 is more powerful, and it has more details. Z1 is smoother and more refined.
I have sold Z1 and kept QA390.
Where where you able to buy it? Shenzen Audio only takes reservations, says delivery in October. Thanks

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #54 of 138
Me and my friend compared it to ....
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-08 at 17.10.13 (2).jpeg

after 3 hours of testing ... AB BA ... we got to the conclusion that for the price the QA is a beast !!!

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #55 of 138
Looks very interesting, and certainly a lot more affordable than DMP-Z1, for a retail price of 1500 USD.

I personally cann't wait to try this, hoping that it betters the QA361 which is my new reference DAP.
I have both here - the 361 and the 390. Waiting to finish the 361 burn-in to start do a test. I even bought a second 390 unit since i have this crazy idea for a MOD :):) and waiting also till the second unit will finish the burn-in.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #56 of 138
Very interesting product, and I noticed that this 390 can take in 12V DC. It must be able to run on external PSU ? The DMP runs on External PSU that is 19.5V, which is fairly powerful
Our local distributor bring them without the power supply (local standards issue) and i charge it with Meanwell 9V PS without a problem, also the unit can be charged with a standard Phone 5V USB-C charger 2A - it has a dedicated socket for this, so no problem with charging at all.
almost 9 hours of operation time and pure joy.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #57 of 138
I was thinking about getting the QA390 and a new headphone. Do you think it will have enough power for the Hifiman Ananda? (I don't have neither and open to ideas for a new headphone).
I connected even the AKG K1000 to it at 70% power ..... on the XLR port, and i have about 50 headphones in my collection (combined with my friend) :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #58 of 138
From the video I’ve seen it does seem to have a gain switch (and/or, is that the ‘super mode’ aka ‘supper’ mode mentioned? Hah).

Yeah I am also wondering how many cycles those batteries are really going to last for, and if they’re user replaceable or what and how much. And whether it is constantly draining the battery, or if the thing will run straight from the wall (I.e., while separately charging battery if needed). I presume the latter,but I dunno.

I wonder how it does with IEMs too...and what the damn thing sounds like...can’t find any impressions of how it sounds or what it compares to for the life of me.

I guess I like to wonder a lot : )
I have opened the unit - the batteries are the best from Panasonic/Sanyo , they will LAST. I know this since im using the same batteries in my Emergency light that i manufacture. Today there are ways to keep the battery cycle prolong, those are 15/85$ or 20/80% variant of charging and discharging. those methods implemented in the battery protection circuits..... and from what i seen in the 390 they are quite comprehensive and very good.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #59 of 138
I wonder if you compare the QLS 390 with other players of its price segment and older, what will it sound like? Does it deserve attention as a relatively portable player?
How about this... My "Audio Corner" or as my wife call it the "Kids getaway Zone"....
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-19 at 02.22.35.jpeg
From the left - Cowon P2, SP2000, R2R2000, Teac ha-p90sd, Calyx M...... and before with Cowon L, Cayin N6ii, Hiby R6 SS....

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #60 of 138
For the amp section, sound quality wise it is pretty good. It has the most black background, Good for HD6XX, great for Utopia and perfect for the IEM I had. But 390 doesn't have analog input so I can't review it by itself. All my other amps are desktop tube headphone amps which is not a direct comparison either. So take my word with a grain of salt. I think the amp doesn't have a sound signature. It is more like a wire with gain. It reveals what the source sent to it, no more no less.
The problem is still the current this amp can supply. It can easily make the HD800 really loud with both gain settings to high but the sound is not good. Muddy bass and harsh high.
Really? I have the HD800s here and i dont share the same conclusion. May i ask what cable do you use for the HD?
i have here the HD540 also ...

One thing to know - this unit has 5 different OS , im using PURE WAV and playing only WAV files.... this is like on the 361, so the benefit of the WAV files and inner architecture is HUGE... it is like CD transport and QLS know how to do this well.
i've put them here so anyone can download them from my Drive - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nKAnLk2vkLyXq2nDQTKv3G5eUInTR9YG?usp=sharing
the are present in the Chinese QLS forum.... so i did some google translate :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back