Quintuple Driver Customs?
Oct 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We do not need more drivers, we need better drivers, still going only to 18KHz, so I'm assuming the same performance on the high freq as we have now...

can you hear over 18khz with any accuracy? I cant; I would say only a handful of teenagers could. I agree totally about the need for better drivers rather than more but that doesn't necessarily mean taking the dynamic range higher. 20hz is a bit slack though. good point about the SMD crossovers though Stikk; 2 is enough; 3 quality drivers with well picked crossover points should be enough for any IEM.

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #19 of 48
I threw it out there simply because I ran across it in my Etravels. I too feel that more is not necessarily beter.
I think the wave of the future is high impedence hybrid B/A-Dynamic driver combos. and crossfeed balances More people would be satisfied as the difference between the two types of drivers as our right and left brains interpret them is one of the main points of issue

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the ultimate one wil be a 6 driver one to make the range hit 20khz...

I have not heard of any that go to 20KHz, so maybe that is a limitation of the armature drivers, and that so high freq is not achievable (not sure of this though) or if for some reason the cut it on purpose, but the fact is that I have not heard anyone that can compete with a mid price full size or even not so full in the high freq performance yet...
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that supposed to be 68 ohms on a portable device? Yikes, talk about required portable amp. Isolation is rather poor (24db) for a custom also. Sensitivity is very high also, you will certainly bring out any hiss the player will have.

Actually I'm sure these would sound great out of a portable player. Also they probably won't hiss.

IEM manufacturers really need to make their phones impedance higher.

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you hear over 18khz with any accuracy? I cant; I would say only a handful of teenagers could. I agree totally about the need for better drivers rather than more but that doesn't necessarily mean taking the dynamic range higher. 20hz is a bit slack though. good point about the SMD crossovers though Stikk; 2 is enough; 3 quality drivers with well picked crossover points should be enough for any IEM.

I certainly do (measured by an audiologist)...
wink.gif

The main problem is not if we can or not ear that high but consider that the stated freq is the limit for them, but maybe the actual roll off will begin far before that, if they rated 16, maybe they can not even achieve 14 or 12 at full extension, and those are indeed inside the old man audible spectrum...

Probably there is not too much musical info at that freq, same as lowers, but some harmonics or whatever, that maybe is what gives you the natural sound, in reality the real musical freq spectrum is far above 20KHz for mainly all instruments...I do not know for sure what is, but the fact is that none of them sounded right to me, the high freq sounds fake and unnatural, and maybe is due to another reason and I'm blaming the cut of the freq for that, I do not know for sure, but the coincidence is that all of them are alike regarding the way they sounded, and all of them cut the freq the same way around the same figures...

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard these ?

E.A.R
Z5 Monitors
Frequency Range: 20Hz-18KHz*
Nominal Impedance at 1KHz: 68Hz*
Sensitivity at 1KHz: 155dB*
Noise Isolation: 24dB +/- 2dB
Input Connection: 1/8" (3.5mm) Gold Plated Jack

34o91g9.jpg

Costs: $1000.00/set

The Z5 is the ultimate in music monitor systems. It incorporates a balanced dual armature driver for your low end frequencies, a single mid driver and a dual tweeter driver to handle the high frequency tones. There are an additional two crossovers on the dual drivers that makes this unique design a definite studio quality performance and surround sound feeling monitor system.

This info is pulled Directly form their site so I appologize in advance for any copyright infr. I didn't want to mis-quote

...... link?

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I'm sure these would sound great out of a portable player. Also they probably won't hiss.

IEM manufacturers really need to make their phones impedance higher.

I disagree. The low impedance earbuds that came with my Zune I play comfortably around 6/20. My Q-Jays are 39 ohm and typical comfortable level is 10-11/20. Nearly doubling that will take the volume up to at least 15 or more, which will end up giving you less battery life.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd take hiss free operation in exchange for lower battery life any day.

Hearing hiss out of iems is unacceptable, imho.

My Q-Jays are hiss free already
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly do (measured by an audiologist)...
wink.gif

The main problem is not if we can or not ear that high but consider that the stated freq is the limit for them, but maybe the actual roll off will begin far before that, if they rated 16, maybe they can not even achieve 14 or 12 at full extension, and those are indeed inside the old man audible spectrum...

Probably there is not too much musical info at that freq, same as lowers, but some harmonics or whatever, that maybe is what gives you the natural sound, in reality the real musical freq spectrum is far above 20KHz for mainly all instruments...I do not know for sure what is, but the fact is that none of them sounded right to me, the high freq sounds fake and unnatural, and maybe is due to another reason and I'm blaming the cut of the freq for that, I do not know for sure, but the coincidence is that all of them are alike regarding the way they sounded, and all of them cut the freq the same way around the same figures...

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying; I CAN hear those annoying novelty ringtones that are supposed to be only heard by kids and dogs rather than your parents I don't know if I could understand what you were saying if you were talking at that pitch but its there, so I cant sauy I can hear at any great ACCURACY at that freq
wink.gif
I'm unsure of how much bearing it has on making an IEM sound more natural. I'm 34 and i've still got most of my hearing and other faculties (just
biggrin.gif
). But it seems we are on the same page regarding what is actually important and that is the ability to convey nuance and natural detail at all frequencies. Rather than just upping the specs, number of drivers and dynamic range I think something needs to be done about resonance and /or the modeling of it. the fact that IEM's are practically without any venue(no space) for frequencies to resonate, may have something to do with why they sound unnatural sometimes. full size headphones still have some sort of chamber for sound to echo around in so maybe thats why they sound more natural. I don't know for sure either; this is just something i've been thinking about, but I know what you are saying, I do love IEM's but there could be more done to improve the 'feel' of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back