Quiet songs and then loud songs on portable dap - how do you deal?
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
So I like to listen to all types of music. And sometimes the song volume is low and then sometimes it's super loud. I see 2 ways to fix this and both are sort of not ideal.

1. listen to only songs that are in/near the same volume level at one time. When those songs are done, move to another set of songs with similar volume. This sort of worked but it also meant that I couldn't jump around songs.

2. constantly turning the volume up or down depending on what song is playing.

I was looking into reply gain but my player doesn't support it and from what I understand it's really not that good. Are the any hardware auto volume changes that can be added externally?

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 4
Are the any hardware auto volume changes that can be added externally?

Check out the Smyth Realizer - latest version might have that feature.

I was looking into reply gain but my player doesn't support it and from what I understand it's really not that good.

You don't have to do it on the fly. When you rip your music you can set them all to the same gain level.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 4
You don't have to do it on the fly. When you rip your music you can set them all to the same gain level.

The problem also happens with songs from HDtrack or from other places.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-5_11-53-19.png
    upload_2018-6-5_11-53-19.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-6-5_11-53-58.png
    upload_2018-6-5_11-53-58.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 5, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 4
The problem also happens with songs from HDtrack or from other places.

Some CD ripper/player apps also have an audio conversion feature. Convert to the same type of FLAC or higher compression (this only affects the file size, not the resolution of the audio) and set Replay Gain during the process. Basically the conversion will only apply the new gain level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back