Quiet In Ear and Affordable
Nov 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot for magic tips!

Eh? Magic tips, you say? Do tell.

I'm getting good results from the triflanges, now that I've sort of figured out the eccentricities of my own ear canals. I hope i get better at removing them, though...the first time I tried I had to (gasp!) tug on the cord just a bit....
eek.gif
Don't want to be doing that!

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 20
I've not tried any Etys, but I have the im716 and UM1. I've also owned the Super.fi 3 and Shure E3c. The Super.fis I sold because they hurt my ears so much I couldn't use them for more than 15 minutes. I bought the im716 after the Shure's cable was broken.

Most of the year, when pollen is bad, I can't use the im716, or the E3c, because I can't shove anything that far in my ear without discomfort. I can use the UM1 for hours on end year round.

I use Shure black form tips and the isolation is decent with the UM1, but better with the im716. As a rule of thumb, the farther in your ear you can push an IEM, the more it will isolate. The UM1 sits in the outer part of your ear canal. That's why they're so comfortable, not because of the tips. They're more comfortable than the im716 with the same tips. Etys will be more like the im716 than the UM1.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #18 of 20
Thanks for all the replies.

Because these are my first ear-canal phones, I would have to be pretty fool hardy to go against the overwhelming consensus in favor for the etymotics.

Would you please explain the magic tips a bit more?

Thanks again to all, much obliged.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by n0083 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies.

Because these are my first ear-canal phones, I would have to be pretty fool hardy to go against the overwhelming consensus in favor for the etymotics.

Would you please explain the magic tips a bit more?

Thanks again to all, much obliged.

It's a new eartip that etymotic is making and is going to release. For me, they isolate noticeably more than the stock triflanges, which is quite a feat. You mentioned wanting the best in isolation, so they would probably be your best bet. Until they're out, stick with the triflanges

And they're not actually called magic tip, the isolation just makes it seem like it
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 20
The purchase is final (email confirmation and all). Glad to be done with the decision. I am also glad i decided to post.

Thanks for all your assistance.

er6i's 12/01/08, peace and quiet is now apparently delivered in a box.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back