Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #406 of 1,017
Just got a QS from a fellow head-fi'r - sounds glorious but the volume pot looses some spots (three drops out)
anyone else have that issue? The seller did say it dropped out in a few areas but I need to fix I like everything working like new or better
1645043323228.png

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #407 of 1,017
Just got a QS from a fellow head-fi'r - sounds glorious but the volume pot looses some spots (three or four it drops out)
anyone else have that issue? The seller did say it dropped out in a few areas but I need to fix I like everything working like new or better
1645043323228.png
Never happened to me during the 6 months or so I had one. Just that silky smooth pot that worked perfectly. Good luck!

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #408 of 1,017
John Massaria: From the picture you posted, it looks like your headphone plug isn't fully inserted? If it is and you have dropouts, of course you will need to replace the Alps pot. Just 6 wires to deal with. I would contact Quicksilver to purchase one as they hopefully check and screen the ones they use.

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #409 of 1,017
After two months wait for parts to come to Mike, finally have the amp coming my way. Will update after I get some time with it with all my headphones. Excited! Source will primarily be Hugo 2.

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #411 of 1,017
Just saw that the cost of the Quicksilver headphone amp is now $1198.00
Not surprising; I'm just amazed that it was $950 for so long. Still a super value at $1200, in my opinion...

Feb 22, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #412 of 1,017
Ah that's really annoying.
I can't imagine that Corona has so much presence in China that they suddenly don't work closely together any more, so that they cut production down to 50%.
And with the argument that the demand is so great that we have to increase the prices so that the manufacturers rethink and so on.

That there is Corona is all right, but that you create an artificial economic bubble just to increase the price?
I see some parallels to that time in 1920 when you compare it, it's not far away.
The poor had nothing and the rich got richer.
The whole thing is quite funny.
At the end of the day, hats off to some manufacturers for being able to hold the price for a long time.
Either they always had to negotiate hard or the supply contracts had been so good that they had to be paid.

Feb 22, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #413 of 1,017
Ah that's really annoying.
I can't imagine that Corona has so much presence in China that they suddenly don't work closely together any more, so that they cut production down to 50%.
And with the argument that the demand is so great that we have to increase the prices so that the manufacturers rethink and so on.

That there is Corona is all right, but that you create an artificial economic bubble just to increase the price?
I see some parallels to that time in 1920 when you compare it, it's not far away.
The poor had nothing and the rich got richer.
The whole thing is quite funny.
At the end of the day, hats off to some manufacturers for being able to hold the price for a long time.
Either they always had to negotiate hard or the supply contracts had been so good that they had to be paid.
What does China have to do with Quicksilver headphone amps??? Manufacturers who hold the price for a long time while their own costs increase tend to go out of business eventually.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #415 of 1,017
Not surprising; I'm just amazed that it was $950 for so long. Still a super value at $1200, in my opinion...
Well said. I would not hesitate to buy it again at $1200.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #416 of 1,017
Where do you think all the parts come from?
The US market also uses parts from China or has them produced there.
I don't know. I never asked Mike where 'all the parts come from'. Apparently you did and he told you. Always like to learn something new.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #417 of 1,017
I don't know. I never asked Mike where 'all the parts come from'. Apparently you did and he told you. Always like to learn something new.
I've never heard this amp--any Quicksilver amp, to be honest. Though I came close to picking up a pair of his borderline-legendary mono tube amps back in the late '80s.

Can't stress enough how solid Mike's reputation is. I've read various reviews & user comments about his tube gear for 35+ years and honestly can't remember a single bad thing said about him.

He's at a level of proficiency in his circuit design and building that whatever he spec's for a design, and wherever it comes from, I trust there's good reason for his choices--and I don't just mean saving a few cents.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #418 of 1,017
Am I correct in assuming the volume pot in this is a 100k Alps Blue Velvet? I bought the one John was talking about above with a couple of dead spots in the pot. I figure I’ll give it a little Deoxit to see if it’s just some dirt in the contacts, and maybe just ignore it if it’s not particularly annoying, but I may have something in my toolbox from my Darkvoice modding that would be a proper swap

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #419 of 1,017
Alps Blue Velvet pot is sealed, as are all plastic based pots I have ever seen. Sealed to keep out contaminants and can't be cleaned. If you could use a cleaner or lubricant the pot would probably be ruined. Cheapest solution is a new Alps pot, but it's best to try to purchase one from a source which tests them as they are known to sometimes have channel imbalance problems. A better pot is the TKD, but they cost around $100. Alps used to have some decent carbon pots that were reasonably priced but I haven't been able to find them in the last couple of years. If anyone knows of a good carbon pot please report here.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #420 of 1,017
Alps Blue Velvet pot is sealed, as are all plastic based pots I have ever seen. Sealed to keep out contaminants and can't be cleaned. If you could use a cleaner or lubricant the pot would probably be ruined. Cheapest solution is a new Alps pot, but it's best to try to purchase one from a source which tests them as they are known to sometimes have channel imbalance problems. A better pot is the TKD, but they cost around $100. Alps used to have some decent carbon pots that were reasonably priced but I haven't been able to find them in the last couple of years. If anyone knows of a good carbon pot please report here.
Didn’t realize they were sealed. I’ll probably end up grabbing a TKD or a stepped attenuator at some point. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back