Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Mar 23, 2020 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,017

newtophones07

1000+ Head-Fier
I was checking out new amps, made in the USA, for ease of shipping. I came across this amp and was curious if anyone had opinions, praise, negatives etc. Thanks

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/headphone-amplifier/

1585019886906.png

1585019898852.png

Specifications

Output typetransformer coupled single ended class A triode
Input impedance100 kohms
Output impedance2.2 ohms
Gain24 db
Power Consumption38 watts
Tube Complement2-12AX7 input
2-6BQ5 output
Maximum output7 volts rms into 30 ohms or higher load
PolarityNon inverting
Distortionless than .01% at 1khz into 30 ohms or higher load
Recommended headphone impedanceWill drive any headphone from 20 to 600 ohms impedance

The new Quicksilver Headphone Amp will drive any headphone to very loud levels and uses no circuit boards or transistors. It is completely point to point handwired and the only components in each channel signal path are 2 tubes, an Alps volume control, 1 capacitor and 1 output transformer.

WARRANTY
Quicksilver Audio warranties new products to the original purchaser, when purchased from an authorized Quicksilver Audio dealer, against defects in manufacturing material and workmanship for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase.

Mar 24, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 1,017
I was checking out new amps, made in the USA, for ease of shipping. I came across this amp and was curious if anyone had opinions, praise, negatives etc. Thanks

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/headphone-amplifier/

Specifications

Output typetransformer coupled single ended class A triode
Input impedance100 kohms
Output impedance2.2 ohms
Gain24 db
Power Consumption38 watts
Tube Complement2-12AX7 input
2-6BQ5 output
Maximum output7 volts rms into 30 ohms or higher load
PolarityNon inverting
Distortionless than .01% at 1khz into 30 ohms or higher load
Recommended headphone impedanceWill drive any headphone from 20 to 600 ohms impedance

The new Quicksilver Headphone Amp will drive any headphone to very loud levels and uses no circuit boards or transistors. It is completely point to point handwired and the only components in each channel signal path are 2 tubes, an Alps volume control, 1 capacitor and 1 output transformer.

WARRANTY
Quicksilver Audio warranties new products to the original purchaser, when purchased from an authorized Quicksilver Audio dealer, against defects in manufacturing material and workmanship for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase.

Nice find!

Quicksilver Audio has been around since the 80's and have always made simple, high quality tube amps and preamps.

I'm really curious to hear their take on a single-ended triode tube headphone amp.

And the price isn't too crazy at $998.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 1,017
I've owned one for about 6 weeks and absolutely love it. I've been an audiophile for 40 years and an audio engineer for 30+ years. I've owned many amps and this Quicksilver is the best sounding amp I've ever heard, musical, powerful, silent noise floor, all the virtues of tubes without a tube sound.

I use this one at home with a Crane Song Solaris and Sennheiser HD800S. They are the perfect combination.

While tracking in the studio I use the Little Labs Monotor and the Benchmark HP amps but I'll be buying another Quicksilver for studio too.

There's a Pathos sitting on the shelf in the other room, great amp, but his is much better for less money so it'll be going soon.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 1,017
I'm currently saving up for a tube amp in the 1000$ range and this is very interesting. So from the description it seems to drive low impedance headphones as well? All my headphones are 20-60 Ohms.

Mar 27, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 1,017
I'm currently saving up for a tube amp in the 1000$ range and this is very interesting. So from the description it seems to drive low impedance headphones as well? All my headphones are 20-60 Ohms.

Yes it will drive any impedance headphone. I've used everything from the Beyer DT-770 Pro 32 ohm to Sennheiser HD-650 and HD-800s and all sound great.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 1,017
I have used Beyer 600 Ohm , Grado RS2e , Klipsch HP 3 , drives any headphone. The Klipsch are 25 Ohm and it drives them with authority , clearly. It is an awesome amp. Just got laid off so will have plenty of time to listen to it....
Sorry to hear about the layoff. I'm hearing bad news everywhere I turn and feel we're all waiting for the silver lining to come soon. Hoping you end up finding a gig better than the last.

Home with the Quicksilver is def not the worst place to be. Do you get any hiss with your high impedance cans?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 1,017
Thanks...it's more like a furlough I guess...I'm sure they will call me back in a few weeks ...we are usually booked three weeks out. We sell and install medical instruments and most hospitals are not letting vendors in. Honestly it's the last place I want to be visiting anyway.

Anyway, the Quicksilver is extremely quiet for a tube amp. When you turn it on there is a strange sound, like you are hearing the transformer hum as the tubes come up to temp.... it goes away after a minute and it's pretty quiet. No hiss with those Beyers, or any other phones. It is such a great amp, build quality is unmatched at it"s price.

I don't know if the Klipsch HP 3 get a lot of love, but I think they sound exceptional with this amp... like they were made for each other....or maybe because my main amps are Quicksilvers and my speakers are Heresy III...

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 1,017
Awesome amp, indeed !

Mine hasn't found an appropriate home yet. I was so anxious to hear it the day I received it I came home on my lunch break, parked it on top of the Threshold Stasis amp I was about to swap it out of my system for the Music Reference. I plugged it and turned it on. It's been on ever since (weeks) and hasn't moved. It is just such a joy to listen to !

For me it's dead silent with headphones of any impedance.

homeaudiomess,jpg.jpg

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 1,017
I want one. Badly. It would drive my Arya.
I'll have to get a DAC though. I wish I held on to one of the 10 or 11 dacs I've sold. I'm currently using the DAC inside my Hegel Rost. The headphone amp inside sounds surprisingly good, but man I want that Quicksilver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back