Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Apr 14, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #121 of 1,017
Sounds like there are some people here who are waiting on SW51 and Quicksilver. I thought a quick simple comparison might help. I've lived with SW51 for awhile but just received Quicksilver today. I've listened to it for probably 4-5 hours.

SW51 is known for having a very clean, almost SS-type sound (I quite like this about it). Quicksilver has a little tube bloom and a more liquid, rounded sound (more romantic?).

It's not somewhat blurry, hazy or unfocused like ZDT Jr tends to be. Quicksilver still has great clarity/transparency, which is something that's important to me.

In short, I think they're very complimentary amps. When you want to put on your "serious" hat, it's SW51. When you want a little bit of sexy in your life, Quicksilver has it - without going overboard into warm-goo territory. Far from it. I think Quicksilver struck a nice balance here.

I stay far away from warm, gooey, mushy amps and that's not what tubes are about to me. I am definitely enjoying the Quicksilver, so no worries about gooey. It plays it relatively straight, but just adds a little bloom, a little romance, a little roundness to the presentation.

I've mainly been using the LSA HP-2 so far with the Quicksilver. The bit of bloom helps the otherwise very clean-sounding headphone have a little more character.

I did use the Aeolus a bit, and while it's close, if I had to choose the better amp for the Aeolus *so far*, it would be SW51. The Aeolus has enough flavor to begin with that I prefer to feed it a clean (with tubes) signal. The better amp for the LSA HP-2 (again, *so far*) would be the Quicksilver.

I'm sure further use will deepen my understanding of this amp, but these are my initial knee-jerk reactions after 4-5 hours of listening. Hope they help in some way.

Both amps were fed by a Gungnir Multibit A2 XLR into a Freya+ (in tube mode) to handle the balanced-to-single-ended conversion, then RCA out of Freya to the amps. Source is BNC from pi2AES.
This is great info for those of us patiently waiting on these two amps. Selfishly, I'm more interested in how your Verite Closed sounded on the pair of amps. Did you have a chance to plug them in yet for a comparison?

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #122 of 1,017
I recently sold my VC to try out some other closed backs. Excellent headphone, I just want to gain more experience with closed backs before hanging my hat on just one, and I try to keep my headphone stable lean at all times. I just don't have room for very many.

I had plenty of time with VC and SW51 though. I thought it was an excellent pairing. To me, like Aeolus, the VC has enough going on with it on its own that I want to feed it a clean signal. SW51 is a clean signal.
I didn't like VC out of ZDT Jr or Jotunheim 2, because they just muddied up the sound of that specific headphone (to me. I know others feel differently. Everyone has their own tastes.)

Based on my time with the VC and my limited time with Quicksilver, I think Quicksilver is "straight" enough that it will probably work well and many people will like it. I think I would likely still prefer the SW51 though for my personal preference.

It's probably similar to VC with the Aficionado amp with or without the feedback. VC sounds really fantastic without feedback engaged, but engaging feedback just kicks it up a notch. Hard to go wrong either way.

I'll look forward to hearing your feedback on the Quicksilver and VC pairing once you receive your amp.

Luckily with our hobby, people tend to swap around headphones a bunch. When I'm ready to pick VC back up, I'm sure it won't take more than a week or two of scouring the Classifieds to find one. I'd like to buy my next one used. I'd prefer to skip that lengthy break in period next time.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #123 of 1,017
I'll be sure to post back once I get both amps in and give them a listen. I'll be surprised if I am able to convince myself to keep both the SW51+ and the Quicksilver. Since the VC is my main headphones, I'll just see which amp I prefer with them.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #124 of 1,017
Sounds like there are some people here who are waiting on SW51 and Quicksilver. I thought a quick simple comparison might help. I've lived with SW51 for awhile but just received Quicksilver today. I've listened to it for probably 4-5 hours.

SW51 is known for having a very clean, almost SS-type sound (I quite like this about it). Quicksilver has a little tube bloom and a more liquid, rounded sound (more romantic?).

It's not somewhat blurry, hazy or unfocused like ZDT Jr tends to be. Quicksilver still has great clarity/transparency, which is something that's important to me.

In short, I think they're very complimentary amps. When you want to put on your "serious" hat, it's SW51. When you want a little bit of sexy in your life, Quicksilver has it - without going overboard into warm-goo territory. Far from it. I think Quicksilver struck a nice balance here.

I stay far away from warm, gooey, mushy amps and that's not what tubes are about to me. I am definitely enjoying the Quicksilver, so no worries about gooey. It plays it relatively straight, but just adds a little bloom, a little romance, a little roundness to the presentation.

I've mainly been using the LSA HP-2 so far with the Quicksilver. The bit of bloom helps the otherwise very clean-sounding headphone have a little more character.

I did use the Aeolus a bit, and while it's close, if I had to choose the better amp for the Aeolus *so far*, it would be SW51. The Aeolus has enough flavor to begin with that I prefer to feed it a clean (with tubes) signal. The better amp for the LSA HP-2 (again, *so far*) would be the Quicksilver.

I'm sure further use will deepen my understanding of this amp, but these are my initial knee-jerk reactions after 4-5 hours of listening. Hope they help in some way.

Both amps were fed by a Gungnir Multibit A2 XLR into a Freya+ (in tube mode) to handle the balanced-to-single-ended conversion, then RCA out of Freya to the amps. Source is BNC from pi2AES.

For "initial knee-jerk reactions after 4-5 hours of listening," your comments are unusually cogent & and your comparison is illuminating. It's not easy to write about how something sounds, and you do it well.

Keep it coming!

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #125 of 1,017

Thanks a lot for your feedback, much appreciated :wink:

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #127 of 1,017
I solved my ground loop problem and have been thoroughly enjoying my new amp. It takes the glare off of my SS amps and somehow gives a well recorded bass drum and bass guitar a natural, "in the room with you" quality. Very pleased so far.

IMG_5206 copy.jpg

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #129 of 1,017
I solved my ground loop problem and have been thoroughly enjoying my new amp. It takes the glare off of my SS amps and somehow gives a well recorded bass drum and bass guitar a natural, "in the room with you" quality. Very pleased so far.

IMG_5206 copy.jpg

My desktop system has been plagued by a groundloop for 3+ years. Tried dozens of tactics & a few products to fix it; some of that tactics were bruteforce PITA (use a different computer; use a different DAC; etc). No luck. So my hat is off to you for fixing yours.

Those instruments are beautiful! On the right is some kind of dulcimer & on the left a small harp? Do you play?

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #130 of 1,017
My desktop system has been plagued by a groundloop for 3+ years. Tried dozens of tactics & a few products to fix it; some of that tactics were bruteforce PITA (use a different computer; use a different DAC; etc). No luck. So my hat is off to you for fixing yours.

Those instruments are beautiful! On the right is some kind of dulcimer & on the left a small harp? Do you play?
I play the dulcimer sometimes. It needs new strings but it's a real project. I'm a guitar and bass player.

Computers are tough for ground loops. I'm using a separate DAC (Meridian 218). The amp itself is pretty quiet for a tube amp. I need to get the knob up past 12:00 to hear it. I plugged my DAC into a homemade balanced power transformer and it removed the ground loop. The problem is that the transformer make more physical noise than the ground loop.

I found these on Amazon. I bought one for the DAC and one for the amp. No more ground loop and I can crank the amp to 2:00 before I hear the noise floor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W682STV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They might be a little overpriced but I am very pleased. Give one a try.

Bill

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #131 of 1,017
Does it increase the depth of the sound stage on the Utopias?
I haven't noticed a change in the character of the Utopia soundstage. The real difference is in the ever so slight phatness in the bass.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #132 of 1,017
I play the dulcimer sometimes. It needs new strings but it's a real project. I'm a guitar and bass player.

Computers are tough for ground loops. I'm using a separate DAC (Meridian 218). The amp itself is pretty quiet for a tube amp. I need to get the knob up past 12:00 to hear it. I plugged my DAC into a homemade balanced power transformer and it removed the ground loop. The problem is that the transformer make more physical noise than the ground loop.

I found these on Amazon. I bought one for the DAC and one for the amp. No more ground loop and I can crank the amp to 2:00 before I hear the noise floor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W682STV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They might be a little overpriced but I am very pleased. Give one a try.

Bill

I have one of these. Tried it in 6-7 places. Minor effect at best. Also have 2 of these, which do little if anything:

https://www.amazon.com/rolls-HE18-H...keywords=rolls+buzz+off&qid=1618699958&sr=8-2

(this groundloop isn't going down without a fight)

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #133 of 1,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back