Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #1,006 of 1,017
Once again …. ‘shameless plug’? …. don’t invoke shame or the lack of shame …. be proud of what you have to sell (goddamit 🤣) …. if you aren’t, buyers will sense and beat you to death with crappy bids …. 😕😒
I’m not ashamed of what I have to sell! I’m ashamed of asking people reading this thread to consider buying it!

In my own mind, it’s a treasure trove of hard-to-find vintage tubes. I’m not sure if others see it the same way though. Capitalism will let me know eventually.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #1,007 of 1,017
I owned and loved the Quicksilver, but I have since moved to a solid-state amp for my planars.

It’s a shameless plug, but I have lots of great tubes listed for sale in the classifieds that I used with the Quicksilver. There are lots of EL84s and a few nice 12AX7s.
What did the ss amp offer that the Quicksilver didn't? Did you find that the Quicksilver opened up the sound stage in general?

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,008 of 1,017
I don’t think the solid-state amp really improved anything except maybe bass impact and control. I didn’t find the Quicksilver lacking in any way, I just decided to get out of the tube-chasing game.

My personality is such that I was always looking for the next tube to try. In the end I had as much money tied up in tubes as in the amp I was putting them in. Since my main headphones are a planar now, I thought getting a nice solid-state amp would simplify things. So far it has, but I know I’ll probably get the tube-itch again.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,009 of 1,017
I don’t think the solid-state amp really improved anything except maybe bass impact and control. I didn’t find the Quicksilver lacking in any way, I just decided to get out of the tube-chasing game.

My personality is such that I was always looking for the next tube to try. In the end I had as much money tied up in tubes as in the amp I was putting them in. Since my main headphones are a planar now, I thought getting a nice solid-state amp would simplify things. So far it has, but I know I’ll probably get the tube-itch again.

IMO It's easy to get caught up chasing gear, tubes, etc. in this hobby. The key is to find what sounds good to you and be done with it. I have inexpensive planars and was looking for an inexpensive headphone amplifier that would be a good match (tube or ss). The Schiit Asgard 2 has turned out to offer great synergy with these headphones. Plenty of power but also an organic aspect that is very pleasing to the ear. I was also able to purchase two Asgard 2's - one C stock and one closeout for just North of $300 delivered. And with Schiit's five year warranty.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,010 of 1,017

My personality is such that I was always looking for the next tube to try. In the end I had as much money tied up in tubes as in the amp I was putting them in. Since my main headphones are a planar now, I thought getting a nice solid-state amp would simplify things. So far it has, but I know I’ll probably get the tube-itch** again.
** I bet that you don’t stare at your solid-state h/p/a while listening … 😜.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,011 of 1,017
** I bet that you don’t stare at your solid-state h/p/a while listening … 😜.
Haha, very true! I do find myself looking at my ZMF Auteur while I listen to my Meze Elite though.

I still have my little SW51+ tube amp, so I’m not totally out of the tube game. Luckily there are very few tube choices for this amp, so I just have a couple tubes that I roll in it from time to time.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #1,013 of 1,017
Wondering if any quicksilver hp amp owners have used the madhouse tungsten with them? I’ve used a few hard to drive headphones like he6 and 1266 phi tc and it works great. Just not sure if the tungsten is still drivable with this.

Feb 11, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,015 of 1,017
Just wanted to say what a great amp this is.. Been enjoying it alot with my atrium open recently
Great amp as well for the HEKSE!!! very enjoyable!

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #1,016 of 1,017
Ok, having had several hours with the Tungsten, my modded quicksilver* can run them fairly well. I have no complaints and turn the qs to around 65-70% or so. This is with the DS Tungsten and 12ax7 tubes. I forgot to mention my dac has a higher than normal output. I believe it is around 6v.

I guess my recommendation would be that if you already have a QS and listen at moderate levels you will probably be okay with and may even love the DS Tungsten. But I probably would not recommend you go out and buy a qs just to use it with the Tungsten. Based on what i have heard around here, there may be somewhat better fits for the money.

Hopefully someone with a non modded QS can share their opinion so we can have a better idea.

* Special thanks to Ksorota who did a stellar job modding it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back