Quick thoughts on my new-old Eggo D66's
Apr 20, 2005 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sonick

500+ Head-Fier
So i bought a pair of used Eggo D66's from AdamWill here, who bought it from nleahcim. So I'm the third owner of this particular pair of cans...

Ive had the PortaPros for about 1.5 years, and I just love them... So most comparison will be with the PortaPros. I had a chance to listen to Grado SR80's at AdamWill's place, and I demoed a pair of SR60's at HiFi Centre downtown today... Very short experience with the Grados, but I have some comments about them compared to the Eggos...

Anyway my thoughts-

First impressions of the Eggos:
- Overall more neutral than the Portapros
- Yes, the lack of bass... They had not been modded with the 'hole in plastic membrane' mod.
- comfy, surrounds my whole ear.
- Powered by my Panasonic SL-MP30 just fine, no shortage in volume.

Second Impressions:
- Ow my jaw. The bottom of the cans pinch right where my jawbone/jaw muscle is, and gets uncomfortable after a bit.
- After the bass mod, the bass did show up. However i find it varies from music to music. I went downtown today for the day, brought along the Eggos with my Panasonic SLMP30. With some CDs bass was fine (Modest Mouse's FLOAT ON from their new CD), but with others, bass was very hard to 'find' (for instance, Maroon 5's Songs About Jane, which i was accustomed to with my portapros had plenty of bass, but it was nowhere to be heard with the Eggos). Right now im listening to Franz Ferdinand on vinyl through a vintage kenwood amp, and the bass is aplenty.
- Ow my jaw
- Sound very good through my AV710 sound card, but then again, my portapros did too. Again, however, the is none of the bloated fat bass that the PortaPros pump out.
- I read the Grado SR60 vs D66 review here, who said they were fairly similar. IMHO, the Grado SR60's and 80's are WAY better than the D66s (though i had a very short time with the 80's, i thought the 80's and 60's sounded similar). The high frequencies of the Grados are just so light, airy and smooth. The D66's in comparison dont have that extra extension into the higher frequencies the Grados did. In the bass, the grados and D66's are similar, though grados did have more, and felt much tighter than the D66's.
- Wow there is a very decent amount of bass with Franz Ferdinand's "40ft" bass intro.
- i dont feel the highs are too shrill or bright at all.
- NEVERMIND. Listening to a very VERY worn copy of THE CURE - STANDING ON A BEACH - THE SINGLES on vinyl, there is some overly-shrill high frequencies there, but i think it would be similar with the portapros. Its probably just the source, not the phones themselves

More comments to come as I listen to more music

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 5
yeah they're stock...

i saw the tissue paper mod for the eggos, but i dont think im going to do them.. yet... the brightness/shrillness of the cans aren't apparent in all songs, and at a moderate volume...

i was curious, though, about a so-called "tape mod" i heard about in another D66 review thread. The owner said he put tape over one of the holes of the driver, and this improved the bass.. any ideas?

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the Eggo's and really like them. I did BowerR64's bass mod (like you did), and I think it helped the bass a lot. Recently I did the tissue mod, and while I don't believe it changed the sound much (didn't help or hurt), it definitely increased isolation and decreased leakage. I was sitting in a coffe shop and with the volume at 90% on my iPod I took of the Eggos and let the cups press against each other, and I couldn't even hear any hint of sound while they were sitting on the table right in front of me.

I don't know if I like the concept behind the tape mod. It doesn't seem like stopping sound from getting to your ear will increase bass. I think it probably just cancels more mid/high frequencies than bass, so you percieve an increase in bass.

I am very happy with my Eggos for home and portable use, but for strictly home use you could probably get more for your money. I think it's nice to have a full-size (almost) headphones with good sound quality for use on-the-go. They do not pinch my head at all and I find them very comfortable. I would suggest adjusting the headband to one notch larger (on each side). I did this to mine, and with less weight resting on the top of my head they are hardly noticeable (but may slip down it worn while walking).

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 5
I bought a used pair of D66s from some guy in hawaii and when i got them the band was really soft. They have the least amount of tension of all the eggos i have. I asked him what he did to the band and he said he took the wire parts out with the rubber covering still on and froze them for a day in his freezer. He said ever since they have been soft. Dont ask me how or what this did but they are alot more loose. If you have a larger head or they push to tight on your head maybe you can try this. Its not a really hard thing to pop the wires out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back