Quick Review of ATH-AD700's
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
First thing I'm going to say about these things is that they're most definitely pink! I love it though, it's got a little style, a little sass.

Next thing I'm going to say is that off the bat, as soon as I listened to them, they sounded a heck of a lot muddier than the AKG-K701's I had been borrowing. I got used to it after a few tracks, and now it doesn't sound so bad.

The K701's were definitely more detailed, and they definitely seemed to pull the instruments apart more, much better separation, but the AD700's -do- have a wider sound stage.

The weird thing is though, the sound stage most of the time sounds smaller than the K701's, sounds a little bit more compressed, but then every once in a while an organ will come in, or some bongo drums or something, and they're just out there noticeably further than they are in the K701's.

So it's kind of a weird balance. The sound stage can be wider, but for the most part, it sounds a little more compressed to me, and with a layer over the top of it, like a coating.

They're not particularly Bassy, but I wouldn't expect any open-ear headphones to be. This is fine with me because the Bass is still detailed, it just isn't head-thwomping.

I've only listened to them for about an hour or two yet, so I'll post more in this thread as I get used to them, but I'm very happy with them for the $85 and headache it cost me from Electronics Expo.

Oh, and I know it sounds like I think they're worse than the K701's, but it seems like for a third of the price, they're doing just fine for me. Just takes a little getting used to, they have a different sound to them.

If you finally got your pair of AD700's from Electronics Expo, or if you have a pair anyways, post your thoughts!

-Zack

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 22
Well I have been looking at both the ES7 and the AD700 because of the price. But I am leaning towards the ES7 for now. But it is nice to see a new review on a headphone I am currently looking at. Nice review man
beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 22
Everybody only talks about soundstage width, but hardly talks about depth.
Personally, I found my K501's soundstage lacking a bit of depth. The A700 had more depth than the K501.

Also, what's your source and amp ExplosiveDuck?

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 22
I'm gonna have to try it one day and compare to the AD900's Ive bought. Someone said they are similar in some things, but from what you are saying looks they dont have that much in common.

BTW, that pink color is just something I cant ever have, I do hope it looks better in real life than it does in the photos.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 22
I compared both for about six weeks and kept the AD700. Review reposted from a different thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently owned both simultaneously, and ended up selling the K701. I started with the AD700, read opinions about how the K701 was an upgrade, and bought it to compare. I enjoyed certain characteristics of it, but in the end, didn't find it an upgrade, but a step sideways. I've since sold it, and am back to the AD700 as my singular open phone. My music tastes encompass (lots of stuff), and I listened to everything with both phones while forming my opinions. Regarding soundstage, I found the K701 had a wider near soundstage, but the AD700 had a wider far stage, which provided a larger stage overall. It was the more enveloping phone. It was also the more balanced phone; the K701 had an emphasis in the highs that never went away. It (the K701) also sounded crisper due to that brightness, and it seemed less sensitive than the AD700 in terms of picking up background ambience. Overall, the AD700 was the mellower phone, while the K701 was the more forward, crisp phone.

Comfortwise, the AD700 won hands down. I had to mod the K701 immediately out of the box, as they were too small to fit my head without dragging my ears up. The mod made them much more comfortable, but the AD700 were still on top there. Unamped, the K701 required four more notches on my Macbook to achieve the same volume as the AD700. Someday, I might pick up another pair, but they'd have to be much cheaper or I'd have to be much richer, as they weren't worth the price to me. I am on the lookout for other phones with that brightness, however, as it was an interesting experience. I'd advise you to keep in mind that almost none of the people who will automatically tell you the K701 is the better phone have owned both simultaneously and made extended comparisons on their own gear. At least one other member here has owned both simultaneously and ended up selling the K701, but there's at least one person who had both and went in the other direction, if I recall correctly. If you're looking for an upgrade to the AD700, you may wish to consider the AD900, which I may buy someday.

Here are some pictures of the two together, post-K701 mod:

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 22
My source is assorted music from an iPod Touch, lossless encoder.

My amp is a Starving Student MiniMillett from Whiplash Audio (-Awesome- Amp, especially for the price!)

I'm going to put on some Radiohead now, see how that sounds with them.

As far as the depth, hmm.. Well, I don't know what I think about that. I don't have the K701's anymore so I can't keep comparing them, but I'll draw a little diagram of what the sound stage sounds like to me, I tend to explain it (when I'm explaining my purchases to my girlfriend..) with my hands and pretend it's like an orb that floats in front of me.

Picture coming soon!

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 22
AD700's:
==(---)==

K701's:
(-------)

..That's my picture.. The ='s are like, a horizontal extension of the sound stage that isn't as deep, kind of lemon shaped really.

So for the sound stage, picture a Lemon vs. an Orange

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 22
Pretty cool and intuitive expression of the soundstage! And explosive, a tube hybrid does sound like a synergistic mate for the AD700s, but unfortunately I can't have a COMPLETE system right now because I bought another full size can. For a friend's graduation gift. So I can ensnare him in the hobby with me
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the AD700 better than the ATHPRO700?

Also, are the AD700 better or the A700? Closed Back vs. Open Air

I am having a hard time finding out anything really about the A700. Lots around here about the AD700 though. So I would also love to here a comparison of the 2.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody only talks about soundstage width, but hardly talks about depth.
Personally, I found my K501's soundstage lacking a bit of depth. The A700 had more depth than the K501.

Also, what's your source and amp ExplosiveDuck?

True that. Soundstage depth = neglected part of headphone reviews.
The AD700 = great soundstage width, thin on depth though.
Great for FPS gaming though (as with the entire Audio Technica AD range).

The AD700 will pick up bass non-software wise depending on source.
AD700's bass = good and quickish (not the fastest I've heard), but lacks bass impact.

All said, great headphone for the pricepoint. However I have not heard the JVC RX range yet as well, they are stupidly hard to get atm.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 22
So I am looking at getting the AD700 or the A700 as my first upgrade from a stock headphone. How much sound leaks out of these? Obviously the AD700 is open so some, but if I was in a room listening at a medium level would other people hear? If this is the case I am going to get the A700 or A900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back