Quick rant: profiteering
Nov 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. Just a quick rant about something which I am not too fond of - profiteering. Specifically, when certain headphone-related items are purchased with the sole intent of reselling at exorbitant pricing.

Sure, that's how many businesses stay alive, but in a community such as Head-Fi it doesn't leave a pleasant taste in one's mouth
redface.gif
. I have come across this a number of times in recent months (will not go into specifics though).

Oh well, end of rant
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
X

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 26
I believe such flipping is against the rules, particularly if they're doing both the buying and sell on head-fi.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 26
Yeah, I am totally against that as well.
Those that quite obviously buy and sell just to make a noticeable profit.

Example the member who earlier this year first bragged about scoring an AKG K1000 for $330 shipped, then one week later asking $1,600 for it (quite sure I remember correctly).

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 26
I don't mind if some one buys something and then charges a little more. But not to outright buy and sell for profit.

Might consider reporting the posts in question to the mods. After all, it's their job to do something about abuses, whether they choose to or not.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 26
I am not specifically referring to ads put up; there have been a number of cases involving responses to WTB threads.

In other words, these are often not cases of blatant or immediately identifiable buying and selling on Head-Fi in the classifieds section; but also buying elsewhere and selling here shortly thereafter. (hence why there are not specific posts to "report")

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
responses to WTB threads.

Posts? PMs to you?

Quote:

there are not specific posts to "report")

So, PMs to you?

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 26
I've noticed this several time and I reason it's because of the massive influx of new impressionable members who are too eager to they spend whatever they can after reading someone's review. Honestly, there are a lot of ads that are sold despite inflated prices. I guess many people don't know or care what something is actually worth. Another phenomenon I noticed is that many senior shill each other's ads, especially ones that advertise products that cost thousands of dollars. They testify that they loved and heard the product but how much of this is bias considering all these people are friends in real life?

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 26
Hmmm, I have long assumed that's what some of the buyers of my items have done and will continue to do. I don't have an issue with it at all, and don't really see why someone would. I sell an item for an amount I'm looking to get back and sometimes it is well lower than the going used price. If someone can flip it, it's their business.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I have long assumed that's what some of the buyers of my items have done and will continue to do. I don't have an issue with it at all, and don't really see why someone would. I sell an item for an amount I'm looking to get back and sometimes it is well lower than the going used price. If someone can flip it, it's their business.

I must say I agree. It's just how it is. I don't think buying something for cheap and then "trying" to sell it for more expensive is directly wrong, If i'd see a K1000 for 300$ I'd buy it in a blink of an eye, probably with the intention of sometime selling it (although still as a bargain). On the other hand, doing it regularily and even for small amounts of cash does annoy me.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 26
What's worse is, it's sometimes hard to tell if someone hasn't just bought something, decided that they don't like it and then sell it on, which I see happening a lot. If the sell-on price is higher, that's a bit greedy though.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 26
People can flip if they want. Free country. Someone did that with an item I was selling for a very low price (too low). He then flipped it immediatly on audiogon. That was his intent all along -- I was just annoyed he asked what turned out to be disengenious questions about sound and how it would be perfect for his set-up -- all a bunch of BS. I guess it doesn't matter, but I admit I was annoyed with him.

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. Just a quick rant about something which I am not too fond of - profiteering. Specifically, when certain headphone-related items are purchased with the sole intent of reselling at exorbitant pricing.

Sure, that's how many businesses stay alive, but in a community such as Head-Fi it doesn't leave a pleasant taste in one's mouth
redface.gif
. I have come across this a number of times in recent months (will not go into specifics though).

Oh well, end of rant
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
X

So this is what you really think?

I offered to sell you a W11JPN. It is a rare headphone. Not many are in like-new condition and I doubt that another pair can be found easily. I'm asking what I think is a fair value for it. I don't want to sell it for less. Isn't that my prerogative as the seller?

So now I'm profiteering?

I'm aware that Head-Fi has specific rules about commercial sales and profit-making entities. I don't think that this case falls under commercial sales or profiteering.

How do you know that it was "purchased with the sole intent of reselling at exorbitant pricing."? Do you know how much I paid for it?

For the record, I paid a higher price for the W11JPN than my offer price to you. Yes, I might have been stupid for paying that high a price back in 2007. No, I don't regret it.

If you think the price is too high, then don't buy it.

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #15 of 26
Elephas - you seem to be incorrectly taking personal offence. As I stated "I have come across this a number of times in recent months" - it was not you I was referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back