Quick questions about Juli@
Nov 16, 2008 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HippieTom

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i have some questions about juli@.

1. Does it have more controlls that i can install from the cd? I only have the volume bar panel and Directwire panel.

2. Can i have 24bit with the analog out or is that only with coax and optical?

3. Where can i change the bit in that case? 16bit/20bit/24bit etc...

4.(wrong tread but feel free to recommend me a dac that will Upgrade my system.400$)

Thanx

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 15
Bits are set by the music file you are playing. For example, if you could rip SACD's, then you'd have a 96/24bit file. As far as I know, you can't change the amount of bits in CD audio 44.1/16bits.

Analog does not listen to those bits -- the digital domain and the DAC only matter if you have 24bit music files.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 15
to be a little off topic. If one buys a single power SDS-XLR (for R10 and classical music or hip hop etc). What kind of DAC would be recommended? Would it matter to buy a DAC that's significantly cheaper than the SDS-XLR (say around 2k - 3k)??

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 15
so theres no point buying a dac just to use it without coax instead of the rca out?
I mainly listen to mp3 but have some flac on my computer too that i listen to. I dont find much diffrence in quality if the mp3 is good. so i dont know. maby i need to find me some sacd and try the 24bit?

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 15
It has both RCA (analog) out and XLR (analog) out, as well as optical (digital) out.

The "24 bit" part of the DAC means that if you ever find some 24 bit music files, then you can listen to them.

As a note, you can not rip SACD. The 24 bit music for the SACD can not be read by a computer CD drive. You have to buy it from an online store that sells 24 bit music files.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanx for the replies PH. Then i dont see much point buying a dac yet. Have to be next setup in the future maby. Very happy with juli@ so must enjoy that
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 15
I have a new question. Hope someone sees it. Would a Cowon player be as good in SQ connected to my amp as my computer? will play mostly mp3 and flac

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 15
ok. Thanx. good to hear

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 15
I'll borrow this thread for a quick question.

There's this Xilinx circuit on ESI Juli@. What does it do? Does it have some effect on jitter or the overall performance of the digital output? I have ESI Maya44 also and it doesn't have this Xilix circuit. I'm just wondering if Juli@'s digital output should be any better than ESI Maya44 digital output?

Thanks

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 15
C'mon guys. Give me something. I know there are people who know about these things.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm assuming that you are using the ESI written drivers that I am familiar with rather than the generic Via drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Does it have more controlls that i can install from the cd? I only have the volume bar panel and Directwire panel.

Can you be more specific about what controls you want?

Quote:

2. Can i have 24bit with the analog out or is that only with coax and optical?

You can have 24 bit data going into the DAC chip on the Juli@. What comes out of the DAC chip is an analog signal for which the sameple rate is no longer meaningful.

Look at the Juli@ control panel to the right of the volume sliders. You should see buttons to display and set the sample rate.

Why do you want to use 96 KHz? CD source material has a 44.1 KHz sample rate. There is some 48 KHz material around in other formats. There isn't much material around with a 88 KHz or higher sample rate.

Most people set the player and operating system and the soundcard to send samples to the DAC chip or external DAC device at the source material's sample rate. Some people want to upsample to a higher rate like 96 KHz. You can set the Juli@ to a a higher rate than the source material and the soundcard H/W and driver will do the upsampling.

Some music player programs can upsample from 44.1 KHz to 88, 96 or 192 KHz. Vista and OSX can upsample too.

Whether you get any benefit from upsampling is another story. The choice of the upsampling algorithm is up to the implementor and that affects the result. No upsampler can replace missing musical information.

Quote:

3. Where can i change the bit in that case? 16bit/20bit/24bit etc...

Player or OS. See previous answer.

Quote:

4.(wrong tread but feel free to recommend me a dac that will Upgrade my system.400$)

Your questions suggest that you should learn more and then try to use what you already have before spending more money.

Don't get excited about buzzwords until you really understand the concepts and how they apply to the real world situation.

Bill

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm not sure if HippieTom is in need of advice anymore. He last updated this thread about a year ago. Now someone please answer my question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if HippieTom is in need of advice anymore. He last updated this thread about a year ago. Now someone please answer my question.
smily_headphones1.gif

HA HAHHHAAAA-HA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back