Quick Question Concerning Dual Rail PSU
Aug 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tridacnid

1000+ Head-Fier
My next project is going to be the Infinity Universal Guitar Preamp for use with my bass. The designs call for a dual rail PSU that supplies +9 and -9 volts.

See the 5th page of this: http://www.techniguitare.com/projets...ms-V1.1-En.pdf

How come I can't just use a PSU that supplies +18 volts and a 0V "ground" line? The description is a bit vague, which leads me to believe that it doesn't really matter how, so long as the opamps get the correct voltage.

Thanks,
Tri

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My next project is going to be the Infinity Universal Guitar Preamp for use with my bass. The designs call for a dual rail PSU that supplies +9 and -9 volts.

See the 5th page of this: http://www.techniguitare.com/projets...ms-V1.1-En.pdf

Eh, no, read the schematic again. It uses a +18V power supply and creates a fairly crude virtual ground of +/-9ish VDC. See the bit under the schematic where it says "+/-9V from a 18V DC Regulated PSU"? It already does exactly what you want it to...

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Oh. Oops. When you say crude, does that imply a bad design, or a non-optimal, yet still on par, way of doing it?

But what's the opamp doing, then? And why can't I just bypass this all with a +18V regulated power supply? Isn't that what this is doing?

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 6
It's actually a very sensible way of doing it. The output from the voltage divider R1 and R2 creates a virtual 0V. The impedance of a voltage divider is quite high (R1||R2) and so the voltage will change under load. The opamp has extremely high input impedance and is acting as a buffer.

You can't just use an 18V supply without this section as the circuit requires a bipolar supply (ie, +9V--0V-- -9V) as it's DC coupled. You would have to completely redesign it if you wanted to use a single supply without the rail splitter.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 6
By calling it crude, I wasn't trying to imply anything particularly negative; it's simply, oh, maybe $0.45 worth of parts (the op-amp acting as a buffer) more complex than the absolute minimum required, that's all. The whole design kind of looks that way - like it was built down to a price for manufacturing, rather than as a DIY project. Again, not trying to sound negative - Behringer, for example, thrive by building things to a similar standard, and who am I to argue with their commercial success?
smily_headphones1.gif

You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about this kind of virtual ground design right here, if that's the kind of thing that floats your boat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back