Quick question about the MX500...
Aug 28, 2002 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AtEase

100+ Head-Fier
... How much sound do these suckers leak??

I need a pair of phones for use at work, and while I thought the ety er6's would be idealm when I brought them in today I discovered they had two problems:
They isolate too much; I can't hear anything over the music, which makes it hard for my coworkers to get my attention. Secondly, they aren't comfortable. They need to go in and out prety frequently through out the day, and since I would feel stupid licking/rubbing saliva on them (I usually moisten them before insertion) my ears started to feel pretty raw by the end of the day.

I'm not really worried so much about isolation, as not disturbing the guy in the cubicle next to mine. For reference, I would consider the KSC-50 to be a bit too leaky...

Aug 28, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 10
earbuds leaking?

hmmmmm, i dont really see the problem since they only leak when u listen at earbleeding volume.

the mx400 we have do not leak. I dont really think it will bother people.

Update: I just read consumer reports....and they have mini short review on earbuds.

a $10 sony bud (silver) 888something2model recieved a GOOD.

While senns mx 500, 400, 300 recieve only FAIR.

Hmmmmmm............
confused.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 10
gah, don't even get me started on that review. . . grrr.

But, on a positive note, they no longer say all cd players sound the same!

To answer the original question, no, they don't leak, unless you push them to the point where your ears leak as well.
eek.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 10
Cool, sounds like I'll be picking up a pair, Thanks guys.

Are the MX500/400 the 'buds that work well with those radioshack replacement foamies?

Quote:

earbuds leaking?...

I didn't think they did, but it has been a while since I used any earbuds. The last pair I had were a pair of cheapies that came with a discman and for some reason I remember them leaking quite a bit of sound....

Aug 28, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 10
AtEase
HI: If you have trouble keeping the mx500 in your ear you could try the aiwa vx-100 that stay in your ear and sound very nice. These are like mini earcannel buds. Look at them at www.audiocubes.com I also read that they are only 20.00 somewhere on line called the v600 and are the us verson which are the same earbud.

Aug 28, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 10
LTUCCI1924,

I did a search on the vx-100 (hp-V600); they look like an interesting choice. You've said they're better than the ex-70's, but do you happen to know how they compare to the mx-500 (and do you think they're at least in the same league as any of the koss's with porto pro drivers - I guess this might be asking a bit too much
redface.gif
)?
Thanks.

Aug 28, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 10
AtEase
HI: The mx-500 are a little clearer than the vx-100 but the vx-100 are mini earcannel phones and fit and stay in your ears way better than the mx-500. Nothing sounds as good as the portapros or koss ksc-35 for the money in my opinion.

Aug 28, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
I also read that they are only 20.00 somewhere on line called the v600 and are the us verson which are the same earbud.

that's at www.outpost.com FYI. no i dont work for aiwa nor outpost.com. they have 8 in stock minus the 1 i bought that BETTER get here tomorrow.
cool.gif
i am ANXIOUSLY awaiting them. probably will tackle the delivery guy when he gets here.

Sep 11, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Both the Aiwa and the EX70 would be nearly as isolating as the ER6's, so you probably don't want them.

The MX500's leak a bit it depends on how quiet your cubicle is. They're not bad for earbuds, but if it's deathly quiet in your office, the 'chikka chikka' noises will surely escape and make your colleague think bad thoughts regarding your wellbeing.

On the other hand, if you did bring a KSC-50 or 35 next to my cubicle - even in a fairly bustling office - I'd be reaching for my HK USP (silenced of course
very_evil_smiley.gif
) pretty sharpish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back