Quick question about the DT770 Pro's
Jan 29, 2007 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Xee

New Head-Fier
I just had a quick question about the DT770 Pro's. A couple months back I was talking to my brother about his mp3 player and he said that he was looking for a better pair of headphones. I knew he listened to mostly rap/hip-hop, loved huge bass and wanted a closed pair as to cut out outside noise so I thought I'd get him a pair of DT770's for Christmas. Well, I found a BNIB pair on eBay for a good price so I picked them up. Come Christmas though, it turned out he didn't want them. :/

Obviously, since I bought them from a person rather than a company, I was not able to return them. The box has been hanging around my room since them so I've finally decided to do something about them. Instead of selling though, I've thought about keeping them myself. Unlike my brother though, my needs aren't as specific. Here's what I'd use them for:

1.) Music on the computer - My tastes range from classic rock to trip-hop.
2.) Gaming - FPS's mainly
3.) Recording - I play a little guitar and sometimes do some recording. I don't do anything fancy but just need a pair for overdubbing.

So I guess I'm looking for an all-around headphone. That being said, do you feel that the DT770's are a good match? Or should I try to sell them (here or eBay) and instead look at getting a different pair? Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 14
those cans should actually be very good for #1 and #2, and good for #3 at least in terms of isolation. coming straight out of a soundcard tho, you may want to get even a tiny headphone amp boost to get it up and firing on all cylinders. what model did you get, the DT770-80ohm Pro?

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 14
I'd go ahead and just try them. You've got nothing to lose just trying them out for a couple weeks to see if they're your cup of tea. They should work alright for your music genres (you'll probably really like them for trip hop). They're also good for gaming. The only task I think they might be weaker at is guitar. They're known for having recessed mids: so getting detail from string instruments is hard with them. If find that to be the case, the AT A900 is a better balanced closed headphone.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Be sure to let us know your impressions of them. I hope you're happy using them, and they fit what you need. They probably will.
600smile.gif

nrwilk

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 14
Unsuitable cans for your needs IMO. These are gaming and (slow) electronica only headphones, everything else tends to sound artificial, muffled and veiled. And the need a special headphone-amp to work properly. I agree once more with Dave that the A900 is lightyears better.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 14
Strange your brother woundn´t want it
tongue.gif
. Quite expensive presents to give to a brother
wink.gif

amp is also expensive and honestly the DY 770 PRO sounds great out of an x-Fi unamped. There is a difference but I guess you have to be an audiophile to find it earth shattering
smily_headphones1.gif
. Now if you have onboard or anything else you maybe have a bigger need for an amp...

For me I had to listen for a while with my amp to hear the difference so it´s not exactly any huge difference. (got the 80 ohm version)

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 14
Poor guy came to Head-Fi with a quick question, next thing you know he's spent a small fortune. Sound familiar to anyone?
tongue.gif

I don't think the 770 is a true all-rounder but really fun for gaming and most types of electronic music. I use mine for most all music types, certain jazz and classical being the exception.

I say keep 'em and try out their sound for a week or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
These are gaming and (slow) electronica only headphones, everything else tends to sound artificial, muffled and veiled. And the need a special headphone-amp to work properly

I don't agree with "artificial, muffled and veiled"...and what is this "special" amp which you speak of?

If "special" means "of ample power" then you are correct.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 14
They're fine for classic rock, Led Zeppelin, Cream, etc. They struggle with metal and some grunge. I guess they'd be fine for hip-hop. I liked my OG songs from Ice-T on them, and I liked my old disco stuff (Lakeside, Earth Wind and Fire, Gloria Gaynor, etc.).

The are awesome for gaming. I loved them for BF2 and Dungeon Siege 2.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and what is this "special" amp which you speak of? If "special" means "of ample power" then you are correct.

Of course
tongue.gif
. I just tend to adjust my choice of words to the thread poster's knowledge state. If I was a newbee, our odd "needs to be amped" formulation would confuse me severely.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 14
is it me or does luckybaer's avatar look like a gorillaz character?\

i think you shouldn't ever listen to those horrible phones,, you should sell them to me for a very small fee, i really could do you the favor of getting rid of them.
seriously, if you don't like em don't keep em, but if you've got em, no reason to not listen to them.

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 14
Well, I think ppl here at head-fi tend to categorize the headphones too much, like this and this for this type of music and this can for another type of music, only. Of course, they are not the best possible, but I am pretty sure you will enjoy any type of music with the DT770, especially if it is your first touch to the hifi world. Additionally, I dont see any good reason to sell this pair, which has been acquired with reasonable price and buy a more expensive pair. The difference wont necessarily worth it. And the best rule in hifi: Ignorance is bliss.
tongue.gif

I personally dont agree that dt770 doesnt do well with metal. Actually I find them really enjoyable, if you tone out the mids-recession by EQ or any other means. My solution was to match with certain tube and opamp of my amp. I think I have enjoyed metal most with DT770s (from AKG K240M, Grado SR80, DT770/80 and DT880/2003), especially prog. such as Mastodon, Tool, Opeth, but also thrash and death/black. And for hiphop/rap and other electronic music, dt770 is definately one of the bests at this price range.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 14
They'll fit your needs. Hope you enjoy them for years to come!
basshead.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think ppl here at head-fi tend to categorize the headphones too much, like this and this for this type of music and this can for another type of music, only. Of course, they are not the best possible, but I am pretty sure you will enjoy any type of music with the DT770, especially if it is your first touch to the hifi world. Additionally, I dont see any good reason to sell this pair, which has been acquired with reasonable price and buy a more expensive pair. The difference wont necessarily worth it. And the best rule in hifi: Ignorance is bliss.
tongue.gif

I personally dont agree that dt770 doesnt do well with metal. Actually I find them really enjoyable, if you tone out the mids-recession by EQ or any other means. My solution was to match with certain tube and opamp of my amp. I think I have enjoyed metal most with DT770s (from AKG K240M, Grado SR80, DT770/80 and DT880/2003), especially prog. such as Mastodon, Tool, Opeth, but also thrash and death/black. And for hiphop/rap and other electronic music, dt770 is definately one of the bests at this price range.

x2 on everything said. I listen to a wide range of music from rock to hip hop to classical to electronic to ethnic to...WHATEVER...on my dt770/80's. Why? Well maybe because it's the only can I have right now, lol. But really, it sounds well with all those genres. To me, the dt770/80 doesn't sound well when the song isn't recorded well. Yea the dt770/80 has a recessed midrange sound and an extra emphasis on bass, but all of this truly goes away when the song is well recorded.

I say give them a try, and RUN away from head-fi, lest you become extra choosey in your sonic preferences=P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back