Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Aug 10, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #676 of 1,494
All this L3000 talk makes me so curious to hear it properly.

My L5000 wasn't so hot unfortunately - beautiful looks, but sounded too thin.

Audio-Technica apparently has a new $$$ woodie on the way though - should be the best closed back ever offered to market from what I hear. Looks really exciting.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 11, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #677 of 1,494

My L5000 wasn't so hot unfortunately - beautiful looks, but sounded too thin.

Audio-Technica apparently has a new $$$ woodie on the way though - should be the best closed back ever offered to market from what I hear. Looks really exciting.

Definitely try to if you can. Aesthetics is the only area the L5000 and L3000 seem to share. Totally different beyond that. And I just saw this mentioned in another thread but without much detail. Will be interesting to learn more, but it sounds like the pricing will be ridiculous, as in line with everything else these days lol

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #678 of 1,494
Buy my one 🙈😉
I have too many 😹
apparently has a new $$$
No evidence, people are speculating.

2021 was Audio Technica’s 60th Anniversary and there was no limited edition woodie or anything. I'm a little worry, I was thinking financial problems, hopefully it's just supply chain issues.

2025-6 65th Anniversary, they are known to release on odd numbers too.

If they release something now or next year 2023? It might just be a normal typical woodie like AWKT or something. I be surprised if it's a top tier flagship at $4000 on a off year like 2022-3.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #679 of 1,494
Buy my one 🙈😉
I have too many 😹

No evidence, people are speculating.

2021 was Audio Technica’s 60th Anniversary and there was no limited edition woodie or anything. I'm a little worry, I was thinking financial problems, hopefully it's just supply chain issues.

2025-6 65th Anniversary, they are known to release on odd numbers too.

If they release something now or next year 2023? It might just be a normal typical woodie like AWKT or something. I be surprised if it's a top tier flagship at $4000 on a off year like 2022-3.
You shall see before end of 2022 hopefully. Definitely not speculation though, and indeed it's A-T 60th anniv.

Besides that I can't say much more :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 11, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #680 of 1,494
Also, another company made a He90 clone back in 2008-11. Its the one and only, "H" to the "Hi - Fi man."
I owned 3! Im the mafia dealer of the JADE!
There's probably only 10-20 left.
WP_20141126_03_58_09_Pro.jpg

Just cause I gotta know. With all these obscur-fi estat pics, what's your obscur-fi enegizer/dac pick?

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #681 of 1,494
With all these obscur-fi estat pics, what's your obscur-fi enegizer/dac pick?
LOL! You seriously still on this huh... fun fact, if you scroll through hundreds of my post and pics and combined them together. You can literally see my full collection :) or like 85% of it. I also deleted a few too, replaced them with others and so forth. I have 3 stations at my house. Heres a old pic :p

Its all about the perfect combo.
Its not about, well if you had a T2 in that picture your gear will be 100x better. Thats trash talk and laughable. The combo down below rivals the HE1's, bring it!
00000.jpg

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #682 of 1,494
LOL! You seriously still on this huh... fun fact, if you scroll through hundreds of my post and pics and combined them together. You can literally see my full collection :) or like 85% of it. I also deleted a few too, replaced them with others and so forth. I have 3 stations at my house. Heres a old pic :p

Its all about the perfect combo.
Its not about, well if you had a T2 in that picture your gear will be 100x better. Thats trash talk and laughable. The combo down below rivals the HE1's, bring it!

Sorry, I more of meant just what are some obscure brands to look into. I genuinely love stumbling across stuff like the taket h2+ w/ traformatic head2 and reading up on it. Some realy awesome crap out there that can be had for absalute steals in the obscur-fi realm (perfect example being the portable masskobo 428 that imo beats every desktop amp in its price range), but it's also just cool to hunt down the 7 posts that exist about something even if you can't find one to buy (went on a deep dive on the jade 1 a few months back for example)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #683 of 1,494
I more of meant just what are some obscure brands to look into.
You already know the obscure legends as you mention Take+ and Jade. Just get the usual suspect, and you be good.

If it comes to amps and dacs? Then it is next to impossible to name. So many hidden Japanese, European amps, and dacs that people have never heard of. You can even get into CD players and Vinyl as your source and amp or, even worse, tubes. In this thread ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphone-tube-amps-the-hunt-for-all-300b-tube-amps.962932/ ) there are over a hundred tube amplifiers that 99% of people have never heard of, and their companies.

With that said, I recently had a revelation. I have mentioned this a few times elsewhere. It's not about expensive gear or legendary stuff now. It is about finding the perfect Harman Curve headphone that does it right. I have obtained a few that got the Harman Curve almost perfect, and now I am searching and collecting the rest. Surprisingly, most of them are dirt cheap, which is secretly making me want to sell everything I have for these cheap—corrected frequency response headphones. I will not disclose what these are :p

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #684 of 1,494
You should give a small review on it here? Why not.
F657AD6B-EDA5-4220-BBF2-0AE7F078EB2C.jpeg

Some quick impressions.

Perum Live sound: Open/big stage, strong dynamics, deep bass, smooth vocals, light but present treble.

It sounds surprisingly good through my old 5000a. I just threw this rig together, and the headset will definitely scale with more power. It’s really my first big boy estat other than a few NB Lambdas.

Honestly, the more I listen to it… The more I like it. Very clean and quick imaging/separation. Percussion and brass on “theme 001” sound clear without getting nasally or dull. A real win!

4D579E4E-A6C6-49CB-8D05-6533F2825F68.jpeg

Nit picks, I want a hair more treble sizzle/sparkle. It is a little refined in the vocal region as well. Not by much tho. Sansui may be the problem here 🤔. Thats all I got for now…

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #687 of 1,494
Almost scored on an Aiwa hp500 the other day. Got out bid tho lol
Probably it was me 😆
Legendary Tyll reviewing the Legendary Aiwa HP500.

How sad a 1970 headphone outclassing modern gear. Even Tyll realized this.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #688 of 1,494
I know there aren't many RSA A-10 amps out there, 26, but has anyone tried the new stax or others on this amp? Or the latest version of the LTA Z10e?

I run mine from a Holo May (NOS) > Z10e via RCA.

TLDR: I would call it “Liquid Neutral” with slam.

Incredible spatial presentation, very holographic with a slight bass tilt. The Z10e + X9K fills out the tonal density compared to something like 007. X9k can beat out AHB2 plus Susvara in the bass region where it was way behind powered by a lowly SRM-007Tii.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #690 of 1,494
Shipped the T2 back to Kerry this week to be updated for HE90 use; he's been tremendously accommodating given how abruptly this all unfolded, which I truly appreciate. Have still been enjoying the HE90 out of the Stax T1s quite immensely. As far as my other stats, in the meantime I've been using the BHSE (which I also just sold) and have been enjoying them. I only drastically miss the T2 at the moment with the SGL Sr. Can confirm it scales the highest with the T2 for sure, with the 007 following. x9000, 009s, etc. lose a bit of refinement, but still perform close to the best of their ability despite whether you prefer or love the pairing or not.

Sold the CRBN and ES-1a, only have the LCD-R left at this time, which is surprising to me lol. This is the one pair I'll be ok keeping if I must. Excellent midrange, but I don't think I can get everything out of them unless I try a different amp.. which I'm hesitant to do honestly given the warranty situation and rareness of them. I rather someone else give that a shot lol

Also looking to swap out my Primaluna EVO 400 integrated speaker amp for something more convenient and also more friendly for lower impedance headphones. Great sound, but huge, insane heat and too much power now that I no longer have the Susvara. Eyeing a few amps, all a bit cheaper than what it sells for used.

Lastly, I need to add my notes to the thread from my last major comparison, mainly around pairings out of the Aeras/BHSE/T2. Haven't forgotten, and I have a lot of real time notes logged. Will add at some point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back