Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Aug 8, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #661 of 1,500
SS sound does not mean bright and tube sound does not mean warm.
It all depends on the topology, design quality, build quality and eventually, for tube-amps, the quality of the tube.
I found many tube amps to be bright.
So it does not surprise me your experience with BHSE, although I've never heard one.

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #662 of 1,500
SS sound does not mean bright and tube sound does not mean warm.
It all depends on the topology, design quality, build quality and eventually, for tube-amps, the quality of the tube.
I found many tube amps to be bright.
So it does not surprise me your experience with BHSE, although I've never heard one.
Certainly, some tube amps can be too bright and some SS amps too warm. And we each have our own definition of what "properly" engineered SS and tube amps should respectively sound like. That's why it's important to discuss specific examples, as we are doing in this thread :)

The BHSE and most electrostat "tube" amps are really a hybrid - more SS than tube by stages & parts count. T2 is a hybrid too.

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #663 of 1,500
The L3000 is incredible and divinely unique. Although imperfect, nothing like it. I'd buy it for a fourth time if I had to.
If you want, maybe we can do a trade this time.
PM me if serious 😆

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #664 of 1,500
Gotcha. If the x9000 is bright to your ears, I don't think you'd want the SGL Sr. Although it improves on timbre and sounds more natural to me, it definitely has more energy and is also more forward

i had the opposite feeling when I compared the SGL Sr and the X9000 : vocals seemed pushed backwards with the SGL Sr with an overall deeper stage. This is likely due to the different frequency responses between the two headphones with recessed high mids in the 1 kHz to 2 kHz range for the SGL Sr vs the X9000. The latter has still a bit too much energy in this zone and I prefer the tuning of the SGL Sr.

This said, they are both technical masters.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #665 of 1,500
i had the opposite feeling when I compared the SGL Sr and the X9000 : vocals seemed pushed backwards with the SGL Sr with an overall deeper stage. This is likely due to the different frequency responses between the two headphones with recessed high mids in the 1 kHz to 2 kHz range for the SGL Sr vs the X9000. The latter has still a bit too much energy in this zone and I prefer the tuning of the SGL Sr.

This said, they are both technical masters.

I think it either comes down to: we hear slightly differently, the differences of our chains, or it's just a bit hard to explain in general. To my ears on my chain, the Sr., HE90, CRBN, 009, etc., they all are a bit more forward or neutral center, I guess I should say, in comparison to the x9000. The overall presentation of the x9000 is a bit more distant. I also don't find the vocals more pushed back vs. the x9000, but will check again. When I was doing my deep comparison a few weeks back I found vocal generally similar--but that the instruments and sounds throughout the rest of the spectrum was laid back and less forward than the SGL Sr. Hopefully that makes sense, it's a bit hard to really explain, and again we could also just hear different. :)

Do you find that to you the x9000 is just as forward to other stats?

Also in any case, I agree. Both are technical masters and the gap between the two isn't as large as people may think.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #666 of 1,500
If you want, maybe we can do a trade this time.
PM me if serious 😆

I appreciate the offer. I'm sitting tight until I have another driver failure lol. Knock on wood, I really hope and pray it doesn't happen. I even listen at lower volumes intentionally.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #667 of 1,500
I appreciate the offer. I'm sitting tight until I have another driver failure lol. Knock on wood, I really hope and pray it doesn't happen. I even listen at lower volumes intentionally.
Are they known for driver issues?

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #668 of 1,500
Are they known for driver issues?
No, number1sixerfan just blown his driver to smithereens by accident.

Me, @number1sixerfan, @mulveling and @purk probably combined had or has over 15 pairs. The mafia connection of L3000 😆

:busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette:

Their driver rate are strong and reliable. They do have werid cable issues or cable connection problems that cause imbalance. I had 4 pairs with zero issues. Currently 3 pairs with zero issues. Heard 6 pairs with zero issues. So yeah...

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #669 of 1,500
No, number1sixerfan just blown his driver to smithereens by accident.

Me, @number1sixerfan, @mulveling and @purk probably combined had or has over 15 pairs. The mafia connection of L3000 😆

:busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette:

Their driver rate are strong and reliable. They do have werid cable issues or cable connection problems that cause imbalance. I had 4 pairs with zero issues. Currently 3 pairs with zero issues. Heard 6 pairs with zero issues. So yeah...

Now now, there was no need to disclose that lol. But no, I've mentioned it before. I was testing three amps and like 6 headphones and forgot the L3000 was plugged into my WA33 for a bit while on my stat amp. Very stupid mistake, something I've never done before. And also a big reason I've preferred using them through the Dave, in which it simply cannot happen.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #670 of 1,500
I don't read much about the Voce in any of the threads.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #671 of 1,500
I don't read much about the Voce in any of the threads.

Quite frankly, I don't think its good enough to deserve to be in them. To be even a bit more brutal, if I paid 1k for voce I would be extremely upset with the SQ, much the less new pricing.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #672 of 1,500
Quite frankly, I don't think its good enough to deserve to be in them. To be even a bit more brutal, if I paid 1k for voce I would be extremely upset with the SQ, much the less new pricing.
Have you heard them with the new earpads? What have you heard them with and what are your complaints? And I don't mean mentioned here so much, as generally, I don't see them discussed. But maybe I am not looking in the right place?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #674 of 1,500
A few years ago I heard the Voce on loan in a package with a bunch of other gear (Susvara, Stellia, Empyrean, GS-X mini), but I'm pretty sure it was busted by the time it got to me. Sounded awful. It they weren't busted...just wow. So I'm just going to assume they were busted :)
I would guess so. I enjoy them quite a bit but never read much about them. Actually, for me, the new earpads took them up a notch or two. And in comparison, very different, but I have the HE90 to listen to.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #675 of 1,500
For anyone interested, I've put up about 1/4th of my current collection for sale. More to come, but probably not until I move from California around the end of year. I've added them to my signature. :)

Also, shipping my T2 back to Kerry this weekend to get it modded for the HE90. I absolutely cannot wait to get it back and test out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back