Quick, dirty, ultracheap mod
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

xeizo

500+ Head-Fier
My Shure SRH-840 hinges fell apart way back, as they usually do on that particular can, it's a pity as they sounds good but construction is extreme subpar.

Anyway, I wringed the leatherette pads from the Shures onto my ultracheap Samson SR-850s(Superlux 681) using some mild violence. To my surprise, it made the Samsons much better, the Shure pads has good seal and I guess that's what made the improvement. It's not like the Samsons becomes some super-Fi cans by this, but it made them quite listenable contrary to before, as they have a lively energetic sound suited for 70:s Pop-music - but by default they lack body and warmth and sounds pretty unfocused. The Shure pads mitigated much of this. Still very poppy sounding with thumping mid bass, but now also with some warmth, reasonably low distortion, and reasonably focused soundstage. Also, the Shure pads are much more comfortable.

For me it was free, but however yet another testament to the importance of which pads. I've seen lots of pad swapping on the high end, but it looks to work well on the low end too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back