quick desoldering question
Dec 30, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 7
It shouldn't matter at all unless it's covering a hole or something. The only reason I can think of you'd be worried about any left over solder is there is the disadvantage that there won't be flux (if you're using flux cored) to do it's thing unless you add some, so it could make for a slightly less ideal join over new solder if you've got a somewhat corroded/dirty pad/leg. However if I can in the past I have reused the old solder left on the board with no problems. Not really a problem though as you'll be applying new solder anyway.

edit: On my soldering practive board that's copper etched that is pretty much tinned now as there is a very fine layer of solder on most of the copper. Now I tried to get that off just to see if I could and it wouldn't budge, not that I wanted it off anyway. So to me at least it would be very hard to get rid of.

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 7
You'll never get that last film of solder off the copper. Don't worry about it, it's just the same as having a pre-tinned board, and will keep the copper from oxidizing.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 7
I'd go further. If you try getting it off, you seriously risk pulling the copper off the board. It's good, so leave it be.

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go further. If you try getting it off, you seriously risk pulling the copper off the board. It's good, so leave it be.

yeah it sucks when you overheat it and it comes off the board. I just take some copper desoldering braid, set it ontop of the solder i want to remove, heat up the braid till the solder melts, and it stick right to it.

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 7
If a really thin layer is covering the hole, even after using a desoldering braid, I just give it a quick flick of the soldering iron to clear the hole. The leftover solder does make it a bit tough to solder the component back in though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back