Questyle QP2R
Mar 16, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #781 of 1,225
Hey Headfi gang...

I have a qp2r and I've been noticing alot of folks enjoy the qp1r over it... And I get it. The qp2r is very very clinical and analytical, with the high and low peaks being so crisp and sibilant to the point of fatiguing... Along with the fact that the mids aren't brought up enough imo.

I think a found a solution to balance things out without EQing it or selling it off. I had an eureka moment when I took out my I
ifi ear buddy. Doing so brought all the levels more in balance. The mids are brought out and the high and low peaks are dulled a bit to make the listening experience musical and non-sibilant. No more harshness.

I used to own the O. G. Qp1 and I'm back to that sound using optical..try it. Now if any of you were on this beforehand, my bad. That said, I did this using Meze 99s and not IEMs.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #783 of 1,225
That's an interesting point of view; you might just be the only person on this forum that thinks that.

For real?! I've seen others say the Qp2r has been cold and unfeeling in other posts elsewhere... I'm surprised by that. I guess it would come down to the headphones one has paired with the Qp2r.. IDK.

Yeah, in having the old O.G. Qp1 (not to be confused with the Qp1r), that dap was very liquid smooth and musical with optical .... The Qp2r can be cold and very shrill compared to the Qp1 in that way. With optical on the Qp1 the presentation is very musical, colorful and lush.. Nice Soundstage with mids/lows/highs on equal footing and even presentation .

With optical on the Qp2r, I found my self adjusting the volume back and forth, and even fooling around with the EQ, which I hate, to get the sound balanced and moderate the highs and lows, and bring the mids forward.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #784 of 1,225
For real?! I've seen others say the Qp2r has been cold and unfeeling in other posts elsewhere... I'm surprised by that. I guess it would come down to the headphones one has paired with the Qp2r.. IDK.

Yeah, in having the old O.G. Qp1 (not to be confused with the Qp1r), that dap was very liquid smooth and musical with optical .... The Qp2r can be cold and very shrill compared to the Qp1 in that way. With optical on the Qp1 the presentation is very musical, colorful and lush.. Nice Soundstage with mids/lows/highs on equal footing and even presentation .

With optical on the Qp2r, I found my self adjusting the volume back and forth, and even fooling around with the EQ, which I hate, to get the sound balanced and moderate the highs and lows, and bring the mids forward.
I have read as well from others that the QP2R was neutral/cold similaai to the QP1R. It was the reason I purchased it thinking it would be an upgrade to the same sound signature. While I have no complaints about the player and enjoy it tremendously to me it is a little bit more leaning towards neutral/warm. I do wonder if the headphones/IEMs we use make that much of a difference.

Plus all this talk about the QP1R really makes me want to get one to see what everyone keeps talking about. Concerning the sound signature and output power difference.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #785 of 1,225
I have read as well from others that the QP2R was neutral/cold similaai to the QP1R. It was the reason I purchased it thinking it would be an upgrade to the same sound signature. While I have no complaints about the player and enjoy it tremendously to me it is a little bit more leaning towards neutral/warm. I do wonder if the headphones/IEMs we use make that much of a difference.

Plus all this talk about the QP1R really makes me want to get one to see what everyone keeps talking about. Concerning the sound signature and output power difference.

I see what you mean... I guess I never listened to the Qp1r.. But I hear it has more oomph thru the volume range than the Qp2r.. And I think if get what they're saying... The Qp2r doesn't get loud at the top of the volume range unless youre on the High Bias setting it seems.

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #786 of 1,225
I see what you mean... I guess I never listened to the Qp1r.. But I hear it has more oomph thru the volume range than the Qp2r.. And I think if get what they're saying... The Qp2r doesn't get loud at the top of the volume range unless youre on the High Bias setting it seems.
I've owned both. Q1PR had a very liquid, smooth, but a bit lean tone single-ended with my InEar ProPhile 8 IEMs. QP2R has a bolder tone, especially in balanced mode. My sense is that single-ended, the QP2R might not have enough power to drive more demanding transducers. But even single-ended, QP2R>ProPhile 8 is plenty powerful, and not harsh at all. I don't regret switching.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #788 of 1,225
Has anyone charged this device with a power bank? It says on the manual that fast charging isn't safe for the battery, so I was wondering would it be safe to charge it with a powerbank like this that has a 5V/1A output power:

https://www.clasohlson.com/fi/Varavirtalähde-6700-mAh,-Clas-Ohlson/38-7698

I received this DAP two days ago and really like it, obviously way better than my old 160 GB iPod Classic. Both my Hifiman HE1000SE (using balanced connection) and Sennheiser IE800 (using single-ended connection) sound great with it!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #789 of 1,225
Hi all. Newbie to the forum here. I recently received the QP2R and enjoying it except having issues with gapless play. Doesn’t seem to work whether set to on or off? Same songs play flawlessly on my QP1R. I’m in fw 1.4. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #790 of 1,225
Has anyone charged this device with a power bank? It says on the manual that fast charging isn't safe for the battery, so I was wondering would it be safe to charge it with a powerbank like this that has a 5V/1A output power:

I received this DAP two days ago and really like it, obviously way better than my 160 GB iPod Classic. Both my Hifiman HE1000SE (using balanced connection) and Sennheiser IE800 (using single-ended connection) sound great with it!
I think that's a pretty slow charging output. You should be fine. I've used batteries to charge the QP2R many many times.

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #791 of 1,225
I think that's a pretty slow charging output. You should be fine. I've used batteries to charge the QP2R many many times.

That's what I thought, thanks! I tried charging it for about 30 minutes while listening at the same time today. I noticed that it got noticeably warmer, is that something that normally happens? I was using balanced connection with low gain. The temperature decreased after ejecting the power bank.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #792 of 1,225
That's what I thought, thanks! I tried charging it for about 30 minutes while listening at the same time today. I noticed that it got noticeably warmer, is that something that normally happens? I was using balanced connection with low gain. The temperature decreased after ejecting the power bank.
You'll probably note the same effect when charging most electronic equipment. It's not weird. If it gets hot, then disconnect. Warm is no biggie.

I'm not an engineer or electrician, so grain of salt. My experience has been that charging with a battery has never caused harm for any of my gear. I have used a couple different batteries, no super inexpensive ones though.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #793 of 1,225

I received this DAP two days ago and really like it, obviously way better than my old 160 GB iPod Classic. Both my Hifiman HE1000SE (using balanced connection) and Sennheiser IE800 (using single-ended connection) sound great with it!
QP2R won't draw any more than around 1 Amp when charging, no matter what you try and feed it.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #794 of 1,225
Thanks for your answers! I run into a strange problem a few days ago. I tried to transfer a playlist in m3u-format that contains about 12000 songs to SanDisk Ultra 400 GB. All the files transferred correctly but when I try to open the playlist on the DAP, it crashes. The playlist probably just contains too many songs. Any suggestions how to fix this problem (other than using smaller playlists)? All the songs on the playlist are either ALAC or FLAC-files and the firmware is v.1.0.4. However, it's not a big deal since the smaller playlist I mostly listen to works without problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back