Questyle QP2R
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #736 of 1,225
I'd have to disagree with the lacking musicality sentiment. The QP2R is plenty musical, but it's also a high performing technical beast. I think what you are saying is that you prefer a warmer sounding DAP with your headphones. Given that your main headphone is a treble cannon (Focal Utopia), you probably need something warmer to tone down the excesses on the Utopia. Sony tends to have a warm smooth sound on their DAPs that is probably a good match for the hot treble of the Utopia and other headphones like it. The Utopia is hyper detailed, but somewhat artificially so. I found it fatiguing when I went for more detail oriented setups. For features, there is no doubt that the Sony has a better user interface and more features, but the QP2R can play harder to drive headphones than Sony can due to the substantial differences in current. With your current setup, you don't need that, so Sony WM1A is probably a better value proposition for you. It won't be for everyone. The Sony also uses the 4.4mm balanced connector, which is objectively better than the 2.5mm connector. Happy listening!
Agreed, there's just far too much going on with QP2R + Utopia: Empyrean, or D8000, provide a much more engaging pairing with the QP2R, i.m.o.

Yes, used almost exclusively balanced mode and high bias. Basically I found it lacking in musicality vs the QP1R, and I understand that my assessment is subjective. Bear in mind that I'm not nor have even been an IEM user, so I can't speak to the QP2R's merits in that category. Also, I was really disappointed in the dropping of line-out mode; in fact, that caught me by surprise when I purchased the QP2R (I should have researched it better). Again, speaking from the point of view of full-size headphones (the Campfire Audio Cascade being my current and possibly all-time favorite in the portable/take-to-work category), the AK Kann in my experience is the only DAP with the power chops to stand alone, and with musicality to boot. But not to digress, the QP1R matched beautifully with my Headamp Pico Power and iQube V1... the line-out feature is more than a nice to have, I've always thought.
Extracting a line level output from the QP2R can be a p.i.t.a., unless you're willing to fork out for HB2 or SHB2. I've tried half a dozen or more adapter cables, none of which have worked!

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #737 of 1,225
I hear the QP2R as a DAP that has an incredibly natural and organic in tone. The sound it delivers is a resolving signature, so true to the music. very full sounding. It has great technical prowess and through it's balanced port has more than adequate power. The QP2R is not going to add coloration to your headphones or IEM's, but it will deliver a reference quality fullness. Now for the subjective side, I really love the QP2R, it has become my reference DAP, replacing the Opus#2.
Did you get a chance to review, or just listen to the 1R? If so, do you have an A/B opinion against the 2R?

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #738 of 1,225
Did you get a chance to review, or just listen to the 1R? If so, do you have an A/B opinion against the 2R?
I am sorry, I didn't hear the 1R. All of the positive comments drove me to hear the 2R.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #739 of 1,225
Used to own 1R, own 2R now. Main reason is that 1R was not expected to support more than 2 x 200GB microSD, while 2R supports the largest single microSDs around. However, I also ended up liking 2R sound better with my travel InEar ProPhile 8 IEMs. The 1R had a liquid, but rather neutral, slightly lean sound, closest in quality to the Soekris dac1541 I have at work. The 2R is a bit lusher, bolder, and overall more engaging with the neutral ProPhile 8s. Note that for travel I mostly listen to a mix of genres that I'd best describe as "minimalist chamber and modern jazz" : Bach, Debussy, Glass, Ligeti, Saariaho, Aho, Messiaen, Part, Almeida Prado, Aaron Parks, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Mikkel Ploug, Sylvie Courvoisier, Michael Formanek, Tomasz Stanko, ... which benefit from a chamber music ambience.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #740 of 1,225
Used to own 1R, own 2R now. Main reason is that 1R was not expected to support more than 2 x 200GB microSD, while 2R supports the largest single microSDs around. However, I also ended up liking 2R sound better with my travel InEar ProPhile 8 IEMs. The 1R had a liquid, but rather neutral, slightly lean sound, closest in quality to the Soekris dac1541 I have at work. The 2R is a bit lusher, bolder, and overall more engaging with the neutral ProPhile 8s. Note that for travel I mostly listen to a mix of genres that I'd best describe as "minimalist chamber and modern jazz" : Bach, Debussy, Glass, Ligeti, Saariaho, Aho, Messiaen, Part, Almeida Prado, Aaron Parks, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Mikkel Ploug, Sylvie Courvoisier, Michael Formanek, Tomasz Stanko, ... which benefit from a chamber music ambience.
Wow! Thanks for that. The 1R does in fact support 400GB cards. Got one for Xmas from my son. But, I appreciate your explanation of the sound diference.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #741 of 1,225
Wow! Thanks for that. The 1R does in fact support 400GB cards. Got one for Xmas from my son. But, I appreciate your explanation of the sound diference.
Interesting. When I was considering upgrade, all the information I could get suggested that 200GB would be the maximum for each 1R card (for a total of 400GB, which is what I had then).

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #742 of 1,225
Interesting. When I was considering upgrade, all the information I could get suggested that 200GB would be the maximum for each 1R card (for a total of 400GB, which is what I had then).

Every manufacturer will state the maximum as it available at the time, or else risk accusations of incompatibility if not actually tested. The secure digital extended format 3.01 standard (SDXC / mSDXC), announced in 2009, is for a storage maximum of 2TB so any device using SDXC / mSDXC should be able to handle any size up to that limit, unless they aren't meeting the secure digital 3.01 standards. This comes up far too many times for all devices. The previous SDHC format had a maximum of 32GB.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #743 of 1,225
Every manufacturer will state the maximum as it available at the time, or else risk accusations of incompatibility if not actually tested. The secure digital extended format 3.01 standard (SDXC / mSDXC), announced in 2009, is for a storage maximum of 2TB so any device using SDXC / mSDXC should be able to handle any size up to that limit, unless they aren't meeting the secure digital 3.01 standards. This comes up far too many times for all devices. The previous SDHC format had a maximum of 32GB.
But when 400GB cards became available, Questyle stayed very silent about whether they'd work on the 1R, even though they specified they would work on the 2R. They could have tested and reported, but they did not. Anyway, I was kind of annoyed about having to manage two separate cards, and on the whole I like the 2R better.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #744 of 1,225
But when 400GB cards became available, Questyle stayed very silent about whether they'd work on the 1R, even though they specified they would work on the 2R. They could have tested and reported, but they did not. Anyway, I was kind of annoyed about having to manage two separate cards, and on the whole I like the 2R better.

Seems like a lack of information or mis-marketing (for new sales of a new device) on Questyle's behalf and you were a casualty. Worked out audibly better for you though.

:)

Jan 26, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #745 of 1,225
Questyle not communicating with its customers? Now there's a first LOL. I've used Sandisk 400GB cards on both the QP1R and QP2R, without issue.

Also, what's going on with the sales of the QP2R? AdvancedMP3Players.co.uk are discounting it by £150. This is the second time they have discounted the QP2R in a couple of months. They are obviously not doing it because they are selling too many units.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #746 of 1,225
Questyle not communicating with its customers? Now there's a first LOL. I've used Sandisk 400GB cards on both the QP1R and QP2R, without issue.

Also, what's going on with the sales of the QP2R? AdvancedMP3Players.co.uk are discounting it by £150. This is the second time they have discounted the QP2R in a couple of months. They are obviously not doing it because they are selling too many units.

1. Questyle lets distributors handle customer communication. You can talk to someone local who speaks your language, rather than someone in China with limited English. This seems a sensible way to do things, in my opinion. They should probably redirect on their website.
2. It's January, which often has post-Christmas sales. If the last time was a couple months ago, that would have been Black Friday/pre-Christmas. I wouldn't read to much into it.

That said, I'd be pretty surprised if Questyle wasn't working on a player with a touch interface and 4.4mm output. I'd guess their next portable will have ceramic boards too. We'll see. This is just speculation on my part. I have no insider info, nor would I reveal it if I did.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #747 of 1,225
I've emailed Questyle 5 times using the email that starts with "Info" on their website. I received no reply to any of them. If they had been forwarded to SCV Distribution, I guarantee I would have received replies, as they are very professional in the way they conduct business.

Regarding AMP3's discount offer on the QP2R, it's the second such offer in a couple of months. Just seems like they are trying to shift their existing stock. It's what they did with the QP1R and they have never stocked it subsequently.

Audiosanctuary.co.uk are also offering a £166 discount.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #748 of 1,225
1. Questyle lets distributors handle customer communication. You can talk to someone local who speaks your language, rather than someone in China with limited English. This seems a sensible way to do things, in my opinion. They should probably redirect on their website.
2. It's January, which often has post-Christmas sales. If the last time was a couple months ago, that would have been Black Friday/pre-Christmas. I wouldn't read to much into it.

That said, I'd be pretty surprised if Questyle wasn't working on a player with a touch interface and 4.4mm output. I'd guess their next portable will have ceramic boards too. We'll see. This is just speculation on my part. I have no insider info, nor would I reveal it if I did.
I know you're surmising. But, if Q goes touchscreen, I'm out. I'll have to wait for the vaunted Chord 2go, which hopefully, will not turn their backs on their visually impared customers. Goddamnit! I had to give my PIN to a stranger, who's debit machine was touchscreen. Why doesn't the world open up that camp for useless handicapped people and gas us!

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #750 of 1,225
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back