Questyle QP2R
Aug 5, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #166 of 1,225
Any chance you could compare SQ in balanced mode with FiiO X7 II ?

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #167 of 1,225
I did not like the original X7 with AM3, I think the X7 II uses the same modules, so I am not looking forward to that comparison. But it depends on what your preferences is. I can see X7 is a hit among bassheads. The X7/AM3 combo is too warm and less resolving to me and prone to external noise (RF interference).

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #168 of 1,225
This thread has gone stale for a while. Just got it today after couple hours listening with NT6 and Aeons. From my test this has pontential of bring at least the 2 cans I used to the next level than what I currently have.

for the meantime here are some pics.

Is this the final design with the black rubbish wheel or is this just a adhesive sticker?

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #169 of 1,225
Not seen the non-gold version up close, buy from those pics I think I prefer it to the gold. Very nice.

Hopefully we'll see some more impressions coming up now people are starting to get their hands on them - really enjoyed my time with the 2R.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #173 of 1,225
Any chance you could compare SQ in balanced mode with FiiO X7 II ?
Same question for comparison with Cowon Plenum 2 and Hifiman hm901U (always balanced mode) .?

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #175 of 1,225
I like that the USB port isn't recessed anymore. That is an improvement over the QP1R in my opinion.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #176 of 1,225
First criticism on QP2R. There is a fix level of background hiss which do not change when you change the gain and/or volume level. This is noticeable and worse on sensitive iems. As a reference, my Fitear 333 has the worse hiss with QP2R. Softer on NT6 and it is quickly drowned in the background if music is playing especially at higher volume. However, songs with a lot of soft passage, the hiss is noticeable and to a point distracting on 333.

Edit:
The hiss seems to be present only when the amp is sort of engaged. If I paused the music for about a minute or 2, the hiss is totally gone. Take note the hiss seems worse on balanced output. The single ended output has lower level of hiss. On NT-6, it's quiet. But still present on my 333.

I hope, the hiss can be fixed via software.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #177 of 1,225
Yikes.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #178 of 1,225
First criticism on QP2R. There is a fix level of background hiss which do not change when you change the gain and/or volume level. This is noticeable and worse on sensitive iems. As a reference, my Fitear 333 has the worse hiss with QP2R. Softer on NT6 and it is quickly drowned in the background if music is playing especially at higher volume. However, songs with a lot of soft passage, the hiss is noticeable and to a point distracting on 333.

Edit:
The hiss seems to be present only when the amp is sort of engaged. If I paused the music for about a minute or 2, the hiss is totally gone. Take note the hiss seems worse on balanced output. The single ended output has lower level of hiss. On NT-6, it's quiet. But still present on my 333.

New product like this should not even come out yet until all issues are taken care first.

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #179 of 1,225

Edit:

So this seems to be a nogo with my Fitear Tg334...
Could anyone comparer with Cowon Plenue 2 and FiiO X7 II ?

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #180 of 1,225
I find the amp section in the QP2R behaves a little differently with my sensitive items like the Zeus than some other DAPs I'm familiar with. Not sure if it's the "current mode" amp tech, but it was a little different to our things like the Opus #3. Hiss was there, but not as bad as something like the Hifiman Supermini, and oddly it didn't hiss that much with the Andromeda, which is usually up there for me in that regard.

Bottom line - everyone's tolerance is different, but the hiss didn't bother me, and was friend out by the music in most instances.

@headwhacker - is the his you are hearing constant on all amp settings and the high and low bias modes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back