Questyle QP2R
Jul 31, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #961 of 1,225
What do think about pairing the QP2R with Beyer Xelento? I own this IEM, stock SE 3.5 mm cable. Pairing in general? Can the Xelento be used with symmetric cables? Thanks!

(My main rig is Hugo 2 with Sennheiser HD 800S and Beyer T1.2, both with or without Violectric V281. Both with symmetric cables. Should say s.th. about SQ prefs.)
I'm pretty sure that all IEMs with detachable cables can upgrade their cables to balanced. For the QP2R you'll need a 2.5mm balanced cable.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #962 of 1,225
I've ordered one this morning in gold, new and quite cheap. I've also ordered a leather case for it. So I probably need an ifi match too?

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #963 of 1,225
What do think about pairing the QP2R with Beyer Xelento? I own this IEM, stock SE 3.5 mm cable. Pairing in general? Can the Xelento be used with symmetric cables? Thanks!

(My main rig is Hugo 2 with Sennheiser HD 800S and Beyer T1.2, both with or without Violectric V281. Both with symmetric cables. Should say s.th. about SQ prefs.)
I really love the pairing with the Xelentos. My old WM1A was also nice but not that great with them.
PS: For my taste the QP2R matches better than my Hugo 2

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #964 of 1,225
I managed to update my library and I can see artist and album and so on but its still giving me the file names as opposed to the track names in my library. Is there a work around for this? It should be able to read the song name metadata? I have folders thats I transferred to the internal memory that I count as playlists but the QP2R didn't pick them up as playlists. Anyone know how I can make sure they are allocated in the playlist area in my library?

Also i'm finding scrolling through a really lengthy and painful process even with flip page enabled. I can't believe this was the best UI they could design... Even the new upcoming QPM has the same interface that I auditioned at Canjam London. The classic iPods from 10 years ago had a much better UI.

My second question is can I use 2.5mm IEMatch to 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and still get the benefits of balanced? Is this safe to do? Thanks.

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #965 of 1,225
I managed to update my library and I can see artist and album and so on but its still giving me the file names as opposed to the track names in my library. Is there a work around for this? It should be able to read the song name metadata? I have folders thats I transferred to the internal memory that I count as playlists but the QP2R didn't pick them up as playlists. Anyone know how I can make sure they are allocated in the playlist area in my library?

Also i'm finding scrolling through a really lengthy and painful process even with flip page enabled. I can't believe this was the best UI they could design... Even the new upcoming QPM has the same interface that I auditioned at Canjam London. The classic iPods from 10 years ago had a much better UI.

My second question is can I use 2.5mm IEMatch to 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and still get the benefits of balanced? Is this safe to do? Thanks

Music in folders on the QP1R / QP2R are in folders, so the device will see your folders as album locations. The playlist on these devices is a txt file. The easiest way is to create one on a PC or MAC and place it on the QP2R. Below is a link on how to create a playlist for the QP1R, which should also work for the QP2R.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...nd-iem-pairings.778877/page-262#post-13163867

If you use JRiver media player, you can create playlist there and sync them along with music to the QP2R. See the below link:

https://www.moon-audio.com/questyle-qp1-music-transfer-apple-mac-windows-pc

I have no problem navigating through music on the QP2R, but I also play from the file folders instead of the library.

You will not get balanced with the 3.5 mm jack. All you need is to use the 2.5 iMatch with a 2.5 mm jack on a balanced cable. This is the iMatch:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/iematch2-5/

@iFi audio can confirm whether or not the iematch2-5 will allow balanced sound with a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #966 of 1,225
I'm shocked that thats the easiest way to create a playlist. I can't believe its 2019 and I have to manually make a text file, carefully writing the individual tracks I want in each playlist. Seriously? Although thank you for suggesting the JRiver Media player.

Even so why can't QP2R read the track name metadata? Am I really asking for so much? All my tracks are coming up as file names which is really frustrating - this is the case in file folders and in library. I understand why this might be the case in file folders but its supposed to scan my music and read the metadata. It clearly doesn't have a problem picking up the 'artist' but it can't figure out the track name? Unless I plan on going through 10,000 tracks and making sure each file name is correctly labelled.

Another thing thats really bugging me is the scroll wheel. I really like using the wheel to scroll and its obviously been implemented well before in Apple products but the scroll wheel on QP2R feels really flimsy. The wheel is really loose and if I shake it every so slightly it rattles. It even rattles when I put my thumb on it before I've had a chance to scroll. Is it supposed to be like this? I don't want to keep complaining but for a 1k dap I expect better. The sound quality is great but it's construction and UI is really bad. Can I get used to a loose scroll wheel and using file folders with incorrectly labeled file names instead of seeing the track name? I guess so...

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #967 of 1,225
I‘ m reading your posts with a bit of awe, @Kozwoz. I had been asking about how the UI looks and feels, cf. top of page 64 here and down. Leaves me a bit puzzled, @mwhals. In particular, I have full track titles in the metadata, but my filenames consist of ”track number - track title“ with track title being abridged for some tracks to fit the Windows pathlength limit. If what @Kozwoz reports would hold for me, too, if I were to acquire a QP2R, that would be a deal breaker.

I trust one could use foobar2000 on Windows to build playlists, too. Me, I would like to use a player on Linux (Cantata) to do it. But then, why this in 2019?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #968 of 1,225
Questyle’s model is great sound without the extras. They keep it simple, which has a market, because not everyone wants touch screens, Bluetooth or WiFi. It works for me, because I don’t want those features.

The QP2R wheel floats on bearings that allow it to turn freely. This is why it seems to rattle. It is not solidly locked down so that it freely turns. This is a huge improvement over the QP1R.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #969 of 1,225
I want a basic player without the extras but it should do the basic things well especially for a 1k. Reading metadata seems like a basic feature but perhaps it's more complicated than it seems.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with IEMatch and the Shure 846? I'm reading conflicting reviews that it would in fact raise the output impedance to 1 on the Ultra setting rather than lower it. I have no issues with hiss but I'm getting a warm wooly sound with the QP2R that lacks focus in the bass region and a fairly substantial dip in high frequencies.

I primarily bought the QP2R because its specs sheet says it has a output impedance of 0.1 ohms which should go well with the Shure 846. However if this is the case I don't understand why the sound is so bad. I'm experiencing the same frequency fluctuations I would normally get from a higher output impedance device. The QP2R should pair really well with sensitive earphones but that doesn't seem to be the case. @glassmonkey do you know for sure that the IEMatch fixes the warm sound with the Shure 846?

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #970 of 1,225
Mines arrived today. It looks beautiful, I'll try it after charging :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #971 of 1,225
I like it! Seemed very bright with some iems (ima zenith), but plugged in campfire cascades and it sounded really good. Very impressed with it so far.

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #972 of 1,225
I want a basic player without the extras but it should do the basic things well especially for a 1k. Reading metadata seems like a basic feature but perhaps it's more complicated than it seems.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with IEMatch and the Shure 846? I'm reading conflicting reviews that it would in fact raise the output impedance to 1 on the Ultra setting rather than lower it. I have no issues with hiss but I'm getting a warm wooly sound with the QP2R that lacks focus in the bass region and a fairly substantial dip in high frequencies.

I primarily bought the QP2R because its specs sheet says it has a output impedance of 0.1 ohms which should go well with the Shure 846. However if this is the case I don't understand why the sound is so bad. I'm experiencing the same frequency fluctuations I would normally get from a higher output impedance device. The QP2R should pair really well with sensitive earphones but that doesn't seem to be the case. @glassmonkey do you know for sure that the IEMatch fixes the warm sound with the Shure 846?
I have never had a problem with tagging or a loose wheel. All my tags read. Without knowing how you've tagged your files, I can't predict what the problem is.

With regards to the 846, I don't own one. I would have already disclosed that and tested if I did. I've said previously in this thread that I think the QP2R has an average impedance under 1 ohm, but hypothesise that it isn't a flat curve and that current mode has other effects. I've observed similar issues with the Questyle CMA600i DAC/Amp. On the Unique Melody Mason V3 I fixed this with the iEMatch. On the Noble Kaiser Encore, I fixed hiss and some warming with the iFi iEMatch. I have done comparisons between the Soundaware M2Pro, which has a totally clean output and the worst OS ever, and found that sound is almost identical between iFi iEMatch plus QP2R and M2Pro with the Mason V3 and Encore.

My advice on the operating system: use flip and the arrows for quick scrolling, and use the wheel for small scrolls.

I don't use playlists except for my review tracks. If you need to make loads of playlists, your computer is the place to do it. I suggest checking that your tags are saved to file using JRiver, the metadata you think is there might not be there.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #973 of 1,225
Anybody know what op amp the qp2r uses?

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #974 of 1,225
Anybody know what op amp the qp2r uses?
The amplification is done in the current domain, the voltage op-amp isn't going to be important particularly.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #975 of 1,225
I'm really impressed with this dap. It sounds so nice, almost sp1000 ish. I used some zenith iems with it tonight and it sounded great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back