Questyle QP2R
Apr 10, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #496 of 1,225
My QP2R should be in my hands by Wednesday, looking forward to it.
Looking forward to your unvarnished review! Do you have something to bust hiss, should you need it?

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #497 of 1,225
Looking forward to your unvarnished review! Do you have something to bust hiss, should you need it?
You warned me man, and I had both of ifimatch in my cart at Amazon but I figured I would wait and see how well my IEMs and QP2R get along.

I think I probably need the 2.5 mm only anyway what do you think?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #498 of 1,225
You warned me man, and I had both of ifimatch in my cart at Amazon but I figured I would wait and see how well my IEMs and QP2R get along.

I think I probably need the 2.5 mm only anyway what do you think?
2.5mm does it for me, but the 3.5mm hisses less, and has less power so the capability to suppress hiss without clipping will be greater on the 3.5mm. if I use the Ultra setting with the Noble Encore, I get clipping.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #499 of 1,225
The hissing is only audible if you have a sensitive iem connected and not playing any track. I used to be bothered by this. But after months of trying QP2R with different iems, once music is playing hiss does not seem to be a problem anymore or at list it's masked by the music. For some reason, the longer I listen, the less I notice any hiss even on music with silent passage. At this point I think my NT6 sounds the best with QP2R than any other DAPs I have including LPG, AK240SS, DX200 and Hugo. Everything is crystal clear, full bodied and non-fatiguing which most people find too bright on most DAPs. It just like have the clarity and resolution of KSE1500 but with the thump and fullness of an EQed iSine20.

Of course, I still like Questyle to solve or at least reduce the hiss without sacrificing quality. I thought maybe reducing the gain could do it for sensitive iems.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #500 of 1,225
The hissing is only audible if you have a sensitive iem connected and not playing any track. I used to be bothered by this. But after months of trying QP2R with different iems, once music is playing hiss does not seem to be a problem anymore or at list it's masked by the music. For some reason, the longer I listen, the less I notice any hiss even on music with silent passage. At this point I think my NT6 sounds the best with QP2R than any other DAPs I have including LPG, AK240SS, DX200 and Hugo. Everything is crystal clear, full bodied and non-fatiguing which most people find too bright on most DAPs. It just like have the clarity and resolution of KSE1500 but with the thump and fullness of an EQed iSine20.

Of course, I still like Questyle to solve or at least reduce the hiss without sacrificing quality. I thought maybe reducing the gain could do it for sensitive iems.

One of the big bonuses of the current mode circuit it is ability to drive difficult headphone loads with ease, it stands to reason that at the other end of the spectrum, with very sensitive IEMs, there might be hiss. Any amp is unlikely to do both really well, without technology like the ifimatch to help out. You can't on the one hand offer bags of power, seemingly more so than even the specs suggest in the case of Questyle, and at same time not potentially over drive a very sensitive IEM. I'm not sure how they can get round that. Including gain settings is a start but clearly there's a limit to how effective that can be, otherwise they could easily implement a specific IEM gain setting.

I'm not a big IEM user so, others might have a better view on this. However, in the absence of the ifimatch, would it be better overall to stick with single ended if you have a particularly sensitive IEM? You don't need the power benefits of balanced and perhaps the subtle improvements otherwise are out weighed by the added hiss...?

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #501 of 1,225
One of the big bonuses of the current mode circuit it is ability to drive difficult headphone loads with ease, it stands to reason that at the other end of the spectrum, with very sensitive IEMs, there might be hiss. Any amp is unlikely to do both really well, without technology like the ifimatch to help out. You can't on the one hand offer bags of power, seemingly more so than even the specs suggest in the case of Questyle, and at same time not potentially over drive a very sensitive IEM. I'm not sure how they can get round that. Including gain settings is a start but clearly there's a limit to how effective that can be, otherwise they could easily implement a specific IEM gain setting.

I'm not a big IEM user so, others might have a better view on this. However, in the absence of the ifimatch, would it be better overall to stick with single ended if you have a particularly sensitive IEM? You don't need the power benefits of balanced and perhaps the subtle improvements otherwise are out weighed by the added hiss...?

single ended still hiss on most iems. So it's actually not a better option. While balanced output has twice the output power, it is still very limited. While Mr Speakers recommend QP2R with Aeon closed but I find it has barely enough Juice. On some high DR tracks, QP2R distorts on Aeon due to lack of power. LPG and DX200 can handled big cans better. That makes QP2R limited to matching narrower range of headphones than other DAPs.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #502 of 1,225
single ended still hiss on most iems. So it's actually not a better option. While balanced output has twice the output power, it is still very limited. While Mr Speakers recommend QP2R with Aeon closed but I find it has barely enough Juice. On some high DR tracks, QP2R distorts on Aeon due to lack of power. LPG and DX200 can handled big cans better. That makes QP2R limited to matching narrower range of headphones than other DAPs.
OK, so it's not the 'most' powerful amp out there but also it's about the sound, as you already said. I haven't tried the QP2R/Aeon at length but I will try again when I next get the chance. I do have the new Fostex T60RP here, which has identical sensitivity (92dB/mw) but slight higher impedance at 50ohm. They aren't particularly easy to drive. For my preferred listening levels at least, the QP2R has no problem giving enough power. Sure it's in the upper gain capabilities but I don't hear any distortion at the level I'm comfortable with.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #503 of 1,225
IMG_20180411_201744.jpg IMG_20180411_185128.jpg
The eagle has landed...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #508 of 1,225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back