Questyle QP1
Feb 4, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #61 of 4,272
it looks much like a fiio x5 ripoff only to me? or this is how everyone else sees it?..

i think that it could sound better, has a ton more power, probably better everything, but still somewhat a ripoff.. how it looks. like somewhere between something from ak and something from fiio... or my mind is playing tricks.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #62 of 4,272
  it looks much like a fiio x5 ripoff only to me? or this is how everyone else sees it?..

i think that it could sound better, has a ton more power, probably better everything, but still somewhat a ripoff.. how it looks. like somewhere between something from ak and something from fiio... or my mind is playing tricks.

Why do you think it looks like a Fiio X5 rip-off?

Because of the scrollwheel?

Unless I'm mistaken, that is a generic scrollwheel, from the highly-respected parts-maker ALPS Electric Co. (e.g. www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/MultiControl/Potentiometer/Potentiometer_list1.html)

If you'll excuse the pun, "Fiio did not invent the wheel!"

In terms of DAPs, I think few would disagree that the most famous use of a wheel-style navigation format is the iPod Classic (albeit with a different underlying technology, that provides an illusion of rotation, rather than actual physical rotation).

So, the X5 and the QP1 are simply a case of 'form follows function', rather than a case of aesthetic mimicry of the competition.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #63 of 4,272

A rip-off because of the scroll wheel? Hmmm, wasn't in that case the X5 an iPod rip-off for starters?

Yes, there maybe are some similarities designwise, but hey, I couldn't care less about that. I think the X5 looks pretty cool (like some gadget from a batman movie) and imo this QP1 looks much more classy. I really like the fact that is has the volume knob on top, much easier to adjust the volume with that when it's in your pocket.

For me the most important reason to buy it, is that it will have (much) better SQ than my current X5 & DX90. Besides that it has to got some decent UI. Because it has 2 micro sd card slots (just like X5) I'm more interested in the QP1 then in the upcoming X7 or Cayin N6.

I guess it's not easy to come up with a totally new design for a dap. Well, Pono pulled it off, but look at all the criticism it brought them. Almost everybody making fun of it comparing it to a Toblerone bar
biggrin.gif

* Footnote: I had just just typed this and posted it, when I saw Myhon's (few minutes) earlier reply.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #64 of 4,272
  A rip-off because of the scroll wheel? Hmmm, wasn't in that case the X5 an iPod rip-off for starters?

Yes, there maybe are some similarities designwise, but hey, I couldn't care less about that. I think the X5 looks pretty cool (like some gadget from a batman movie) and imo this QP1 looks much more classy. I really like the fact that is has the volume knob on top, much easier to adjust the volume with that when it's in your pocket.

For me the most important reason to buy it, is that it will have (much) better SQ than my current X5 & DX90. Besides that it has to got some decent UI. Because it has 2 micro sd card slots (just like X5) I'm more interested in the QP1 then in the upcoming X7 or Cayin N6.

I guess it's not easy to come up with a totally new design for a dap. Well, Pono pulled it off, but look at all the criticism it brought them. Almost everybody making fun of it comparing it to a Toblerone bar
biggrin.gif

i think that pono is pretty ugly... not to mention un-practical for every day usage.

i was just thinking... so this thing should beat fiio x5... should it beat fiio x7?.. 

i might become interested as well.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #65 of 4,272

biggrin.gif

Maybe it was a joint-venture with Kraft foods?

This would've been a slight improvement:

Quote:

For me the most important reason to buy it, is that it will have (much) better SQ than my current X5 & DX90.

Well, hopefully, yes, but, to be fair, the X5 and DX90 are no slouches at their very reasonable price-points.

It remains to be seen (heard) how much of an improvement the QP1 will be, but I share some of your optimism...  

Quote:
  Besides that it has to got some decent UI.

Maybe, but that has yet to be seen for sure!
wink.gif

I would still like to know if there is a hardware 'Play/Pause' button implemented in some way, or if the only way to quickly silence it in your pocket is turning the volume knob down. I really hope it isn't the latter.

Because it has 2 micro sd card slots (just like X5) I'm more interested in the QP1 then in the upcoming X7 or Cayin N6.

Yeah, Fiio have made (IMO) a very, very unwise decision to give Wi-fi battery life more priority than a 2nd microSD slot. That decision will please Spotify/Tidal users, but turn away a far larger number of potential customers, who require more than one microSD slot for hassle-free playback of large lossless music collections.

On a different topic, I would still like to know how heavy the QP1 is going to be.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #66 of 4,272

should it beat fiio x7?..

Mmmm... good question!

I haven't heard current-mode amplification, so I don't personally know how it sounds, on a subjective level, least of all in a DAP implementation, with all the tight technical restrictions that entails.

The X7 will be a bit of a 'moving target', on account of its swappable amp modules.

So it's anyone's guess, at this stage, but I'm confident that QP1 will be a fine-sounding DAP, and probably the X7, too.

It might be that the QP1 finds particular favour with orthodynamic headphone owners, but, as a CIEM owner, I'm still interested.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #67 of 4,272
I am an to be ultimate headphones/universals owner.. ie800 k3003 ultrasone iq, and now i am considering ordering an se846 also. as far as headphones go i am going to buy ultrasone signature dj, maybe edition 5 unlimited and edition 8, i haven heared yet, and hd800 for home usage.

this player is supposed to sound better than ifi idsd micro? i mean, considering the DACs in each one, is it supposed?

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #68 of 4,272
i might become interested as well.

You came around pretty quick
wink.gif

I think the QP1(R) is worth waiting for and we'll see/hear how it will turn out vs other daps like X7 & N6

It might be that the QP1 finds particular favour with orthodynamic headphone owners, but, as a CIEM owner, I'm still interested.

I have a LCD2, but how it will sound with iems will also be very important to me, as that covers > 75% of my listening time...

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #69 of 4,272
I've got my sights set on QP.  I'll wait till X7comes out for reviews, but this one seems like the best choice, so far.  It's those 2 slots that hooks me, and I hope it's more button than screen activated.  Don't care for wifi.
I'm thinking James and Co. tried to appeal to  a wide  array of possible consumers, where the QP sounds unashamdly like a dedicated high end SQ dap.  JMO

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #72 of 4,272

I haven't been able to figure that out.  Between 'steering wheel' and 'linux' and a few such tidbits here and there, I have no idea.
Sorry, Skerry, but you know what I'm hoping for.  Even if there's a bit of both, I may be able to work with it.

i really hope for both touch and buttons and wheel. it would be the best of all worlds.

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #75 of 4,272
I'm unfamiliar with the characteristics of current-mode amplification stages, but, judging by how thick the aluminium enclosure is, I'm guessing this DAP may run quite warm, with the intention perhaps being for the enclosure to 'sink' that heat away from the components. I hope the circuit's not too inefficient, electro-thermally-speaking, as it would be a serious waste of battery duration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back