Questyle QP1
Dec 30, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #3,107 of 4,272
LOL, if you can get over the UI then to me this is the best DAP of 2015 sound wise. I have only 2 left in "Space Grey" and the suit pretty much every earphone or headphone I have tried it with, including this setup :D

Bieber? Shame on you!

I've given up on the UI I'm afraid to say, touchscreen all the way :frowning2:

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,108 of 4,272
So finally got to crank sum tunes and enjoy the qp1r yesterday!!  Sound is fantastic!  and can't say i have any issues with the UI or scroll wheel.  i purchased this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D3EX3W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 to apply to the wheel as mentioned in this thread, but to be honest, its not required in my opinion/usage.  Maybe the UI is acceptable to me due to usage of apple nano's/itouch's for the last decade...  it's simplistic and easy to navigate...

But that's my opinion...

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3,109 of 4,272
So finally got to crank sum tunes and enjoy the qp1r yesterday!!  Sound is fantastic!  and can't say i have any issues with the UI or scroll wheel.  i purchased this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D3EX3W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 to apply to the wheel as mentioned in this thread, but to be honest, its not required in my opinion/usage.  Maybe the UI is acceptable to me due to usage of apple nano's/itouch's for the last decade...  it's simplistic and easy to navigate...
I've had mine approx 3 months. It was love at 1st play. My only wish would be that the writing was a little bigger, although that's probably my eyesight rather than the player.

But that's my opinion...

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3,111 of 4,272
I'm really enjoying my QP1R and find the SQ even more immersive than any of my other DAPs. The only issue I find, in addition to the already mentioned 5800 file index cap, is the sorting in Artist Browsing. Multiple 1st tracks followed by multiple 2nd tracks, etc., if you have more than one album under an artist's name, isn't very useful, IMHO. I realize you can always use file browsing but it would be more convenient to have the Artist view behave as expected, an Artist with multiple folders representing individual albums. I hope this will be addressed in an upcoming FW update. Other than that, none of my concerns (Wheel, somewhat spartan UI) have been issues. One commendable surprise is the QP1R understands and displays WAV tags correctly. My only other player that does that flawlessly is the AK240. Thank you Questyle for designing such a relatively affordable, game changing DAP.   

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3,112 of 4,272
has anyone here ever bought the QP1 instead of the R and became happy? have been following this thread though not thoroughly and have not come across anyone talking about the QP1. I'm at a budget and torn between keeping the P1 or buying an Esther M1 or the Questyle which most probably be the non-R due to budget constraint but still wishing to hear the QP1R one day. Please for those who have heard the 3 help me decide.
confused_face_2.gif

Has the QP1 started shipping to buyers? The reason everyone is talking about the QP1R is because it shipped a couple months ago when the QP1 was not available.

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #3,113 of 4,272
I have the non-r and love it. I haven't compared it side by side with a QP1-r, but I love what the QP1 can do. As someone said a few posts earlier, it's like taking an excellent home system on the road. I am sure the reference model is worth the extra money, but the QP1 is no slouch on its own. I find myself using it even when at home, driving Sennheiser HD 600s rather than plugging them into my Little Dot or Sansui receiver. It's not only more convenient, it's just that good. I've never even been tempted to use the equalizer. And, as I have posted in the past, it seems to elevate mid-fi cans. I don't know if it's the current mode, the discrete caps and resistors or just expectation bias, but it makes everything sing. Even those phones that are known to be fussy seem to relax. And easy to drive models like Grado 80s or ATH M50s pick up additional sparkle. I am listening to a pair of knock around Koss Tony Bennett special editions right now and loving the experience. So I can testify that the QP1 is an excellent DAP. Only you can decide after testing if you will be satisfied not getting best of breed. I have no upgraditis at this point, though.
Hope that helps.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #3,114 of 4,272
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Windows copier/file manager that does the following?

1. Stack copy folder commands from NAS to a sd or qp1r drive in sequence? At this time, u can invoke multi copy commands. However they run concurrently and I can imagine the files will get "fragmented"

2. Faster copying via use of buffers etc

3. Auto resume with good error correction in the event that the drive connections gets disconnectedness

4. Saves the folders selected for copying so that when new files get saved in the folders, you can reinitiate a command and everything will be resync and copied over.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,115 of 4,272
New Years Eve morning coffee time.....

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #3,117 of 4,272
I have the non-r and love it. I haven't compared it side by side with a QP1-r, but I love what the QP1 can do. As someone said a few posts earlier, it's like taking an excellent home system on the road. I am sure the reference model is worth the extra money, but the QP1 is no slouch on its own. I find myself using it even when at home, driving Sennheiser HD 600s rather than plugging them into my Little Dot or Sansui receiver. It's not only more convenient, it's just that good. I've never even been tempted to use the equalizer. And, as I have posted in the past, it seems to elevate mid-fi cans. I don't know if it's the current mode, the discrete caps and resistors or just expectation bias, but it makes everything sing. Even those phones that are known to be fussy seem to relax. And easy to drive models like Grado 80s or ATH M50s pick up additional sparkle. I am listening to a pair of knock around Koss Tony Bennett special editions right now and loving the experience. So I can testify that the QP1 is an excellent DAP. Only you can decide after testing if you will be satisfied not getting best of breed. I have no upgraditis at this point, though.
Hope that helps.

Please share your thoughts when you get to hear both.  I haven't pulled the plug yet on any only because there has only been a few people few vaguely mentioned about the QP1 than the QP1R.  

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,118 of 4,272
I don't expect to have an opportunity to A/B them any time soon. I will post my impressions once I do. But really, only you can decide how much whatever difference exists is worth to you and your wallet.

There are fewer QP1s out there because the initial production was for the R variant, which was immediately successful, generated most of the reviews, and quickly required another run to keep up with the demand.

My QP1 is from the initial batch of that model. The silver version was gone when I got my gold one. But they were getting more, I just couldn't wait and really liked both colors.

Moedawg140 has heard and praised both models. He has commented in this thread on the differences he has heard. He prefers the QP1R, if I recall correctly, but found no faults with its sibling. I'll let him speak for himself, though.

Goodvibes also compared both models, but in their prototype stage, as I recall. They were similar, but the 1R more refined. That was way pack on page 116, where there is also talk about needing an HE-1000 to resolve the differences. Again, I can't speak for that.

Bottom line, we can only provide our impressions. You probably need to find a place to audition both, with your own music on a microSD card, before you can be sure whether the bang is worth the bucks.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #3,119 of 4,272

You probably need to find a place to audition both, with your own music on a microSD card, before you can be sure whether the bang is worth the bucks.

Can't audition as there isn't anyplace to try them in Hawaii.  Thanks though.  

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3,120 of 4,272
Happy New Year.

I have had a couple of problems with the QP1R recognizing files e,g, I have converted using JRiver DSF files (due to their size) to Wav or DSF to FLAC to the internal storage.  When I transfer them to the QP1R they are not shown or there is a message file not supported.  Has anyone come across this.  If I then copy the cd afresh to flac or wav and then transfer it works. Still loving it though.  Could it be a JRiver problem.  

My Noble 10u are incredible with it.  many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back