Questyle M12 Loaner Program @ TTVJAudio.com
Jun 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
Hi All,

We are offering a loaner program on the Questyle M12 Mobile Headphone Amp and DAC.

questylem122.jpg

Loaner Program Rules:

Send your name and address, telephone number and your Head-Fi user name to me (Todd) at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.

You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient.

You MUST write a review and post it in this loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as this announcement for the loaner program. Please post the review here first and feel free to post it somewhere else if you like!

Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

Our loaner programs are USA only. We are restricted from shipping/selling outside the USA on most products.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Todd

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 7
anyone interested??? Only one participant so far. This is one very good dongle amp and DAC. email soon or it will be sent back to me and the program cancelled.

Todd

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 7

General Information​

Source

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra with USB Audio Player Pro (Bitperfect Mode)

Apple iPad with Apple Music and Qobuz

FIIO BTR5

Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm cable

Earphones

Kinera Nana v2

Moondrop Kanas Pro

Etymotic er2xr

Material

Norah Jones - "Seven Years"

Polyphia - "G.O.A.T."

Royal Blood - "Typhoons"

Alice in Chains - "Down in a Hole" (unplugged version)

Charles Mingus - "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"

Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing"

Morrissey - "Suedehead"

St. Vincent - "Pay Your Way in Pain"

Johnny Cash - "Hurt"

A Perfect Circle - "Weak and Powerless"

Donald Fagen "I.G.Y."

Fleetwood Mac - "Dreams"

Pros

Well-controlled bass

Can drive even fairly difficult earphones

Good Soundstage width

Metal, good build quality

Cons

Drains battery quite a bit

Odd clicking noise while using Apple iPad as a source

Dark case makes text on case hard to read

Would be nice if the indicator told more than whether it is MQA or High Rez (i.e. a bitrate indicator)

Performance

I do not currently have the means to measure audio equipment, so I will have to convey the Questyle M12 in anecdotal terms only. Overall, the Questyle M12 is an able performer that offers decent performance with even difficult to drive earphones. With Android equipment, the unit performed flawlessly and was easy to use with USB Audio Player Pro. The only issue I had was using the unit with my Apple iPad (Air third gen, latest iOS). When using the M12 on the iPad, there was a clicking sound that would oddly move around the soundstage no matter what app I used. This did not occur when using the Fiio BTR5 (wired or wireless). Other than that issue, the M12 sounded great with every genre of music as a DAC/Amp should.

vs FFiio BTR5

The Fiio BTR5 is a portable DAC/Amp that costs around $110 and includes Bluetooth. The physical size of the BTR5 is slightly thicker and longer than the M12, but still quite small. It does include a belt clip case for convenience.

Both the BTR5 and M12 were able to drive any earphones that I threw at them, though the BTR5's volume is controlled on the unit and got much louder than the M12 fully driven. The sound on both was exceptional offering good bass performance, and a non-grainy treble, two areas of which I am particularly upset if lacking. The bass control on the M12 was a little tighter. The soundstage on both was good on all earphones but really stood out on the Moondrop Kanas Pro as they both seemed to extend the width significantly over the USB-C dongle. The imaging was a little better on the M12, but not excessively so.

The advantages of the BTR5 are the Bluetooth capability and the addition of a 2.5mm balanced jack. While testing the BTR5 against the M12, I did not use the balanced connection or Bluetooth, however.

Overall, against the Fiio, I would give the edge on sound and build to the M12 but features to the BTR5.

vs Apple USB-C Dongle

The Apple USB-C dongle is a capable performer considering its low cost but has issues with output. I use the dongle occasionally when I listen to background music as it is simple to just plug and play. The M12 has better resolution, better staging and imaging, and a lot more power.

Conclusion

Overall, against the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, I would give the edge to the Apple adapter for cost ($9), convenience, and portability (it is so tiny), The M12 is better in all other aspects.

The M12 is a well built capable performer that would satisfy most people looking for a portable dongle to use with their phone or other portable device. The price is decent ($139), but it is up against some stiff competition from Fiio, as well as Hiby, Hidiz, and other Asian brands.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 7
anyone interested??? Only one participant so far. This is one very good dongle amp and DAC. email soon or it will be sent back to me and the program cancelled.

Todd
I would be interested! I leave town Saturday for two weeks, though.

Cheers.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 7
I am in possession of the M12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back