Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
May 26, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #631 of 757
Further to project86 post, regarding usable volume range, that may not be such an issue if you have a DAC with some non-destructive volume control in front of the amp. Just something to think about.

Good point. People balk at digital volume controls, but many of the better ones can give substantial attenuation with no loss of resolution. Even poor ones should be fine with a modest cut of maybe 10dB, which will give some more usable range on the CMA800R. 

May 28, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #632 of 757
Thanks a lot for the reply guys! The CMA 800i is on my wish list since I heard the HD 800 pairing at the Nashville meet a little while back. It really impressed me so i was wondering how/if they would pair with the TH 900. Your responses helped a lot so thanks!

May 28, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #633 of 757
Thanks a lot for the reply guys! The CMA 800i is on my wish list since I heard the HD 800 pairing at the Nashville meet a little while back. It really impressed me so i was wondering how/if they would pair with the TH 900. Your responses helped a lot so thanks!

You're welcome! I think the CMA800i is a fantastic buy, 80% of the goodness of the individual DAC and amp units for something like half the cost. I think for HD800 users I'd happily recommend that as a very good end-to-end 'end-game' HD800 rig (bearing in mind that when I say 'end-game', what I mean by that is that one could happily rest there without ever 'needing' to upgrade if one desired to).

I just purchased the HD800 again collecting tomorrow, look forward to hearing it in my current rig.

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #634 of 757
So is this the thread for the i and R as well? I heard the 800i at the Chicago meet and I was blown away at the sound... out of my Ultrasone Signature Pros, no less! Apparently the right low impedance headphones can be a match for this unit. :) The sound was amazingly light yet powerful at the same time. I didn't feel any lack of bass or impact, but it just had a certain finesse that amps like the Liquid Carbon weren't achieving.

Now to start saving up...

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #635 of 757
  So is this the thread for the i and R as well? I heard the 800i at the Chicago meet and I was blown away at the sound... out of my Ultrasone Signature Pros, no less! Apparently the right low impedance headphones can be a match for this unit. :) The sound was amazingly light yet powerful at the same time. I didn't feel any lack of bass or impact, but it just had a certain finesse that amps like the Liquid Carbon weren't achieving.

Now to start saving up...

Sure, why not? Questyle's other products don't get as much discussion as the CMA800R, so we can fold all discussion into this thread.

And yes, the CMA800i is excellent! I actually think it's better than the 800R in some cases. Specifically with sensitive cans and IEMs. I think they rate the gain as being similar but in the real world the i has a lot more room for volume adjustment versus the R, and thus is a better match for my Noble K10, AKG K812, etc. 

I think the only reasons the 800i is not more popular is A) their distribution is still lacking imho, and B) most people want to go separates at this price, since they can probably afford it. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #636 of 757

Sure, why not? Questyle's other products don't get as much discussion as the CMA800R, so we can fold all discussion into this thread.

And yes, the CMA800i is excellent! I actually think it's better than the 800R in some cases. Specifically with sensitive cans and IEMs. I think they rate the gain as being similar but in the real world the i has a lot more room for volume adjustment versus the R, and thus is a better match for my Noble K10, AKG K812, etc. 

I think the only reasons the 800i is not more popular is A) their distribution is still lacking imho, and B) most people want to go separates at this price, since they can probably afford it. 

That's interesting to hear the i allows for more sensitivity than the R. Makes me glad I have low impedance headphones! 
biggrin.gif

I totally agree with the distribution issue. FWIW, I posted to Questyle's Facebook page and their VP PMed me with a direct number to order from. At $2500 I really can't justify ordering it right now, but it's nice to have an end goal in mind.

BTW, read your review on this unit, good job! I wish there were more information out there. It is quite a lot of money, so it's tough to order something like this when there are so many options out there.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #637 of 757
Agreed, it's a lot of $$$ to send without a whole lot of feedback. I know my review is only one voice, and I'd love to see a bunch more out there. Also user discussion on the forums is great to have, because sometimes people uncover things (good or bad) in their system that I never had experience with. Incompatibility issues, reliability problems, special synergy with a particular headphone or amp or whatever.... there's lots more to be discovered, more than I could hope to find on my own. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #638 of 757
Agreed, it's a lot of $$$ to send without a whole lot of feedback. I know my review is only one voice, and I'd love to see a bunch more out there. Also user discussion on the forums is great to have, because sometimes people uncover things (good or bad) in their system that I never had experience with. Incompatibility issues, reliability problems, special synergy with a particular headphone or amp or whatever.... there's lots more to be discovered, more than I could hope to find on my own. 

Yes, it would be good if more discussion here. If you look at meet impressions this year though, Questyle have really been getting out there and there is quite a lot to see. The 800i has routinely been called 'the best pairing I've heard with the HD800' in that feedback, and for some the best thing they heard at the meets full stop. For the asking price I think the 800i is a bargain at the high/higher-end.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #639 of 757
Just wanted to chime in and say that I picked this up on somewhat of a whim about two weeks ago. I'm using the hd800 and hd650 with it mostly and I've been completely impressed with the Questyle. 

Current mode is a different kind of approach and sound...and one that I find incredibly musical. Smooth, resolving, nothing harsh and promotes cohesion in the signature. I really like it a lot. Very versatile also. Not much to complain about. 

Very sexy chassis with the buttery smooth powder coat finish. The ONLY complaint that I have is the choice to utilize the dual amp mono block instead of a balanced option for each amp. There are not many who can afford this amp in the first place but the group who can afford two is downright miniscule. But there are lot's of people who can afford to buy or make a balanced cable. Other than that one quibble, I love it. Using the Gungnir multibit and they make a very good match. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #640 of 757
  Just wanted to chime in and say that I picked this up on somewhat of a whim about two weeks ago. I using the hd800 and hd650 with it mostly and I've been completely impressed with the Questyle. 

Current mode is a different kind of approach and sound...and one that I find incredibly musical. Smooth, resolving, nothing harsh and promotes cohesion in the signature. I really like it a lot. Very versatile also. Not much to complain about. 

Very sexy chassis with the buttery smooth powder coat finish. The ONLY complaint that I have is the choice to utilize the dual amp mono block instead of a balanced option for each amp. There are not many who can afford this amp in the first place but the group who can afford two is downright miniscule. But there are lot's of people who can afford to buy or make a balanced cable. Other than that one quibble, I love it. Using the Gungnir multibit and they make a very good match. 

Ah, you got it! Sorry, I meant to get back to your PM about the CMA800R pairing with the HD800, but hadn't got round to it (life unfortunately crazy busy here between work, family (twins!), finishing my medical specialty training and organising this years national headphone meet here in NZ).

Glad you like it! For me so much to love even apart from the sound - the pre-amp ability, the dual SE outputs - makes for such a versatile system. Regards the sound, for me it pulls off a fairly remarkable feat of being smooth while simultaneously being extremely clean, articulate, resolving and dynamic. I think that's why the pairing with the HD800 is so good, it plays not only to that headphones weaknesses, but also its strengths. That's a line not many other amps can walk.

Regards getting a second one - do keep an eye out for second hand - you can open the chassis and change the power supply between 110v and 220/30v. I got my monoblock pair here on Head-Fi, two units going at the same time and picked them up for the price of a single one new. With the HE-6 in mind it was monoblocks or nothing for my particular set-up.

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #643 of 757
I heard them recently at a meet in Nashville. The short answer is that the Crimson is a little warmer with a touch more richness but lacks some of the detail of the Questyle. After hearing them both together (second time) I'm still very happy with my 800r. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #644 of 757
  I heard them recently at a meet in Nashville. The short answer is that the Crimson is a little warmer with a touch more richness but lacks some of the detail of the Questyle. After hearing them both together (second time) I'm still very happy with my 800r. 

Thanks for the quick reply! Realistically I should probably be paying stuff off instead of adding, lol, so this definitely makes it easier.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #645 of 757
any views on how the cas192d would pair with the tube amp of the wa2 and hd800s?

am i right in thinking the cas192d has a very good level of detail and clarity but may lean to a slightly bright presentation?

i currently have the irdac and i'm assuming the irdac is warmer and has somewhat less detail

your experienced views are much appreciated
peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back