Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #211 of 553
Can you use the CMA600i as a DAC only?

I was interested in using this as a DAC connected to my Home Theater Receiver, but didn't know how to hook it up since there would now be two volume controls - one on the CMA600i and the one on the Home Theater Receiver. Would setting the CMA600i at max volume, connecting the CMA600i to my receiver's CD input and controlling the volume via my receiver work? Is there any degradation in performance since the signal has to pass through two preamps?

I, too, am interested in this. I need a amp for my HD650's and would not mind replacing my current two channel DAC if I like this one better.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #214 of 553
I, too, am interested in this. I need a amp for my HD650's and would not mind replacing my current two channel DAC if I like this one better.

If you don't need the analogue input of the CMA600i, the CMA400i has a front panel switch for AMP or DAC operation. Also you can switch to fix output on the rear, in case you have volume control elsewhere.

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #215 of 553
So glad you like it!! It's always nice hear when someone is happy about what they get. Like I said on the YouTube video, I like using the 600i as a reference for new cans that we get in. Most days I have that hooked up to Tidal though USB and call it a day ha.

Still looking forward to the 400i for IEM use.... we will be getting that whenever we can get our hands on it

hi craig, how does it play with the utopia and do you know what the output impedance is as questyle doesn't specify it. thanks.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #216 of 553
hi craig, how does it play with the utopia and do you know what the output impedance is as questyle doesn't specify it. thanks.

Here are the specs from Questyle...

220mW@300Ω; 950mW @32Ω(normal headphone jack)
630mW @300Ω; 1900mW @32Ω (balanced headphone jack)

At 80ohm and good sensitivity there shouldn't be any issue driving Utopia with the CMA600i, especially with a balanced connection.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #217 of 553
clicking fixed

Well - it only took 10 months ! My clicking on USB unit was repaired here in Australia - the first repair in this country but the repair did not work. The unit has now been replaced under warranty with a higher serial number - I requested a serial number after 500, based on helpful advice from the UK distributor.

No more clicks on track changes - so much better to listen to!

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #218 of 553
Upgraded sound input. Co-ax v USB v ISO-Regen

I had been experimenting with best output from my Aries Mini streamer to the 600i - coax versus USB. I could not find much experience of others.

I started with an Oyaide USB cable and then upgraded to an Elijah USB cable with the 5v disconnected and I found this better than my ten year old Chord silver co-ax.

I then upgraded to a much better new co-ax cable and that levelled the playing field - slight preference for USB but not a lot of difference. Useful for DSD though which I started to buy.

My last step has been to add an ISO-Regen powered by an LPS1 power supply - you can read a review on audio bacon.

Although I had to revert to the first USB cable, the ISO-Regen does give the sound quality a good lift.

My mains power for the 600i is on a hefty audio specific power board/block to also try to assist sound quality.

Interested to hear what others are finding.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #220 of 553
Does the 600 work with Aurender music server? Will the pop issue also applies? Thanks.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #221 of 553
Does the 600 work with Aurender music server? Will the pop issue also applies? Thanks.

Hi
Absolutely - I use one with my Aurilac Aries Mini server - this works very well - and the 600i will work with most servers. The annoying clicking problem with usb input only affected early models of the 600i - so if you are buying one make sure it has a serial number of 500 or later. The problem was definitely solved by this serial number.

V

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #222 of 553
Hi
Absolutely - I use one with my Aurilac Aries Mini server - this works very well - and the 600i will work with most servers. The annoying clicking problem with usb input only affected early models of the 600i - so if you are buying one make sure it has a serial number of 500 or later. The problem was definitely solved by this serial number.

V
Hi

V
Thank you for your help.
Am I correct to say the 600 is the best Questyle model with a 4pin XLR?

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #225 of 553
From which serial number USB clicks and pops has been removed? Anyone knows?
check few pages back ,, i think above 500 but i am not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back