Questions regarding my newly purchased Pioneer PL-514!
Nov 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

xspartany

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, this is my second post here. I've been researching about getting a vinyl setup for a few weeks now so I decided its time to post with a few questions.

Earlier today I bought a Pioneer PL-514 TT with a Yamaha CG-6600 cart (the seller installed it brand new prior to selling it to me) for $100 CAD. The table is in absolute mint condition, it doesn't even have a scratch on the unit itself. The table seems to work 100% mechanically but I can't comment on the sound quality at the moment since I do not have a phono pre-amp for it yet. Also, I saw that it was recommended in one of the threads here ("Low Budget Vinyl Source" by Memepool I believe).

This leads me to a few questions:

-Was this TT a good buy at the price and its condition (I can post up pics if you guys would like)

-Does anyone have any experience with the yamaha cart? Would I need to upgrade it to something better or will it be fine for starting out?

-What type of phono pre-amp would you guys recommend? Would it be worthwhile for me to look into something like a diy tube pre-amp or similar? Also, I found a Technics SA-5160 AM/FM/Phono Amp for around $70 CAD. Has anyone used this and would it be a good buy?

I realize that I'm asking a bunch of questions here but I'm confident that you guys could teach me a few things
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, Cris

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 3

memepool

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by xspartany /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Was this TT a good buy at the price and its condition (I can post up pics if you guys would like)

It's a good solid starter turntable and you are lucky to have found someone to kindly install a new cart and set it all up for you. It can be a steep learing curve if you are completely unfamiliar with vinyl.

Quote:

-Does anyone have any experience with the yamaha cart? Would I need to upgrade it to something better or will it be fine for starting out?

It looks like a fairly generic cart with a conical stylus but again this is absolutely fine for a beginner. LP Gear: LP Gear replacement for Yamaha N-6600SE N6600SE stylus
sell a better stylus for the cart but I really wouldn't bother and would save for a better cart like the Denon DL110/160 or Audio Technica AT440MLA.

Quote:

-What type of phono pre-amp would you guys recommend? Would it be worthwhile for me to look into something like a diy tube pre-amp or similar? Also, I found a Technics SA-5160 AM/FM/Phono Amp for around $70 CAD. Has anyone used this and would it be a good buy?

The Technics sounds lovely if it's in as good a condition as the turntable I'd snap that up as you are getting a lot for your money there. Otherwise something like a Cambridge Audio 540/640P would be a current favourite but beware of spending too much on a phonostage to start with as they are very expensive per se and you'll get more sound improvment upgrading the cart if you have money to spend.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 3

xspartany

New Head-Fier
Ok so I wanted to update the thread with some new info.

Instead of the technics sa-5160, I spent a bit more and got a Marantz 2230 (fully serviced, everything working 110%!!). I also got my hands on a pair of Pioneer HPM-60 speakers....all I can say is WOW!

...I think I've found audio bliss
biggrin.gif

I could only imagine the audio quality getting better once I upgrade the cartridge on the TT to a denon dl-103 or similar.

Ive also listened to my SR-80s through the 2230 and they sound like a whole new can compared to my previous amp.

Thanks alot for the input guys, I will get some pics up soon enough!

Users who are viewing this thread