Questions regarding β22
Jun 26, 2007 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Cauhtemoc

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about building a beta22 with an integrated WM8740 DAC. How high is the input impedance of the beta22? I was hoping that I could connect the DAC chip directly to the input on the beta22. Is this possible or would I need an OP amp in between?

Does the beta22 have any protection against DC input, or would I need capacitors (e.g. Black Gates) here as well?

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
Well, it has a 50K pot and 1M to ground, so I'm guessing the input impedance is 1M - quite high.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a 1M resistor to ground does mean that the input impedance 1M. In fact it lowers the input resistance compared to with no resistor.

I also had not planned to use a volume control, the WM8740 has a built in digital attenuator. It's easier for me to use that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby
What board are you going to use for the wolfson dac?

I will create my own.

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 28
very nice! do please keep us updated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 28
The data sheet for the WM8740 says that the load should have an impedance of at least 1k, ideally over 10k. I have no experience with the 2SK170 or 2SJ74, but doesn't JFETs in general have an input impedance in the megaohm range?

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cauhtemoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The data sheet for the WM8740 says that the load should have an impedance of at least 1k, ideally over 10k. I have no experience with the 2SK170 or 2SJ74, but doesn't JFETs in general have an input impedance in the megaohm range?

Yes, the input impedance of the β22 is essentially set by the value of R2 and that of the volume pot. If no volume pot is used, then for all practical purposes it's 1MΩ.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 28
All modern audio DACs should have low-pass filtering on their outputs, keep this in mind. You might be able to get away without one but the measurements get worse and the chance that you make the amplifier oscillate go up.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Perfect, so I can feed the beta22 straight from the WM8740, without any OP amps anywhere to degrade the sound quality.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think you'll still need to resolve the DC offset issue, right?

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris719
All modern audio DACs should have low-pass filtering on their outputs, keep this in mind. You might be able to get away without one but the measurements get worse and the chance that you make the amplifier oscillate go up.

The WM8740 has an internal filter with a cutoff frequency of 195 kHz. I will probably add an external low-pass filter however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I think you'll still need to resolve the DC offset issue, right?

Yup, I will add some film caps just to be sure.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Even the best OP amps degrade the sound quality. No OP amps means better sound quality.

as filters they seem to work just fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back