Questions on Reshelling IEMs.
May 31, 2012 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MC LeBron 23

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Its been a while since I last visited the forum.

Anyway, I've been luking around the forums seeing what people suggeest for a good IEM for rap/hip hop. I pretty much picked the UE TF10. It seemed to be the best for my needs (bass) without disorting the clarity of the vocals. They also seemed the best without spening $400+ on another IEM. If anyone knows better let me know.

Now, I see the fit has been a big problem with the TF10s and thats when I came across customizing IEMs. It looks pretty damn cool if you ask me.

I came across this site http://www.custom-iem.com/custom-iems-c-118.html

Would this be the best site to do reshellings? Does UEs website do basicaly the same things like custom colors, and custom graphic on the IEM?

I'm pretty new to this stuff so any help is appreciated. Suggestions for other IEMs is welcome too. Thanks

Mike

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 19
UE does provide that service. There's a vid on yt about it i think. If you plan on getting customs for ur IEMS it should be on the logitech website. Visit an audiologist first for your ear impression.

Sent from my S2

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Unique Melody, FIsher (inearz) and 1964 ears are the main ones who do reshelling.  If you do a search for those you should find a few results.  Prices and wait times vary between the three. 

Have you actually tried the tf10's to see if they fit or not? 

Cheers

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 19
He wants customs because he's unsure of the fit. I assume he doesn't want to buy a tf10 and find out that it doesn't fit, so he wants to go straight to customs.

Sent from my S2

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 19
No, never tried on the tf10. Who do you guys think I should go with for the reshelling??? I'm thinking it doesn't matter. Not sure about the price differences though between different companies.

Also, just wondering how much better the ue18 or jh16 is than a re-shelled tf10? Is it worth the extra money??? $2000 (ue18) and $1150 (jh16) compared to re-shelled tf10s at around $350?

Thanks for replies.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 19
Reshelled TF10's for $350 aren't worth it in my opinion, I would go for one of 1964 ear's or another company's lower end dual or triple armature custom instead.  The TF10's are great value for ~120, but I don't think the sound is worth 200+ even with a fantastic fit/seal.  Especially since you've never even tried them before, you have no idea if you really like the sound signature or not.  
UM is one of the best companies to get reshells from, hence the higher price.  I would use them without a doubt, their customs are beautiful and they do extensive testing on the drivers before installing them
1964 ears also are fine, but not quite on the level of UM.  Fischer Ears are a bit more of a budget remold, their remolds work and fit fine, but the earpieces won't quite be as refined or good looking as UM's.

As for super high end models like the jh16, I don't think it's a great idea to jump into the ultra high end immediately, especially since you haven't even heard the TF10's yet.  You really need to listen to some higher end earphones like the TF10 for a while before you can really appreciate them and decide what kind of sound signature is best for you.  I've been in your exact situation before, I bought the TF10's and really liked them and decided to reshell them.  Now a year or two later, I've ended up going back to universals (westone 4's) which I'm enjoying far more than the TF10's.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 19
Although as of late, they've been faulty in terms of quality control.  They've moved into a new location recently so that may fix various problems.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 19
Thanks sari0n. The reason I wanted to get the jh16s right away was so I could just have one of the best IEMs without buying tf10s then eventually buying better which would cost more $$$. I do understand what you're saying about appreciating it more, but then again wouldn't I appreciate the Jh16 even more if the best ear buds I used were $30 Sony's?

I do have the ad700s so I have an Idea about what low end audiophile headphones sound.

Do the Jh16s really keep up with high end headphones like D7000 hd800 etc? I just find it hard to believe a little IEM can sound just as good as full size headphones. Then again I do not know all the technical aspects of designing IEMs/headphobes.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Thanks sari0n. The reason I wanted to get the jh16s right away was so I could just have one of the best IEMs without buying tf10s then eventually buying better which would cost more $$$. I do understand what you're saying about appreciating it more, but then again wouldn't I appreciate the Jh16 even more if the best ear buds I used were $30 Sony's?
I do have the ad700s so I have an Idea about what low end audiophile headphones sound.
Do the Jh16s really keep up with high end headphones like D7000 hd800 etc? I just find it hard to believe a little IEM can sound just as good as full size headphones. Then again I do not know all the technical aspects of designing IEMs/headphobes.
Thanks for the replies guys.

The JH16 is too different to the HD800 in my opinion. But the JH13 is similar, and yes, it can go on par with HD800, if not better, according to a few people. Just check this thread out http://www.head-fi.org/t/440126/sennheiser-hd800-vs-jh-13-pro-battle-of-the-titans

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 19
I hate how people skip over the JH13 just because the JH16 has two extra drivers. The JH16 sounded like a JH13 with an exaggerated level of bass (comparing universal demo versions).

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 19
@jerempsp...figured the HD800 would sound much different than the jh16 because of the bass of the jh16, whereas the HD800 is all about detail/clarity/sound stage.

I thought the Jh16 would compare to the D7000 though since I've read both have a lot of bass. So my last question is which would you guys go with in terms of bass and overall sound quality...Jh16 or D7000?

Remember I could possibly find D7000 for close to $600
and the Jh16 is almost double that price.

Once again thanks for all the help guys.

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back