Questions on assembled "DIY" DAC kits...
Nov 27, 2008 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
I am quite sure that at least some of these kits were discussed here before, but the sellers usually only mention the sample rate and that it is a DIY kit, which is not really helping me to figure out which kit might be better then the other one.
As you can probably guess by now, I am in search of an assembled DIY DAC kit. Assembled because my soldering skills are good enough for interconnects and thats probably it, another thing is that at least some parts are quite expensive if bought in the quantities I would need them.
Searching on ebay I found the following DIY DAC kits:

24-bit/192kHz Audio DAC * MADE IN AUSTRIA* bei eBay.de: D A-Wandler (endet 02.12.08 13:43:41 MEZ)

UPGRADED 24bit/192KHz DAC KIT,TOROID TRAN,CS4398, 8416. bei eBay.de: Processors (endet 04.12.08 18:15:22 MEZ)

24bit/192KHz DAC DIY KIT , FULL ASSEMBLED KIT bei eBay.de: Processors (endet 04.12.08 18:15:44 MEZ)

Which one does look best stock? And which one would be the best pick if I want to go aheand and mod?

Oh, of course if you want to point me to another assebled DAC I will gladly take any recommendation
smily_headphones1.gif
but would like to stay under 200 USD for now (for the KIT, excluding upgrades).

Thanks,
smuh

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Nov 27, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
Having no clue what I am talking about (as always) and just going through the threads it seems that the Opus is more or less the "best" option in price range.

If I will notice any difference... most probably not
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

I would have thought the that the Opus DAC is quite a bit more expensive than the last two ebay options.

Yeah, but the quality is probably quite a bit better.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a false statement that the OPA2107 iss "brilliant" in the DIY DAC mentioned here. Start from placing the OPA2228 in it. Then play further with many other mods.
wink.gif
Then realize no dual op-amp is good enough, etc.
evil_smiley.gif

The OPA2107 sounds fine to me. To the extent that I didn't bother trying other op amps. I have a spare OPA2228. I might try it tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but the quality is probably quite a bit better.

My little ebay DAC has cost me about AU$150 (US$100). The OPUS DAC would cost about AU$550 (US$330).

I am not disputing whether the OPUS DAC sounds better as I haven't heard one yet, but of course I hope to one day. I am pretty happy with the value for money of the ebay DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back