Questions from my wallet...
Jul 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

spinlps

New Head-Fier
Hey guys - I've lurked around these parts for a few years but started to follow things in earnest this spring. Since then, I've picked up a pair of Yamaha HP-3's, a pair of AKG Sextetts, and just last week a pair of Koss ESP9's with E9 energizer - all paired with my recently rehabbed HK 730. Anyway, a few questions about my recent purchases.

HP-3's - I've waded through the big ortho thread here and through the search tool. On receipt, my pair had a very dark sonic signature but literally changed after 20-25 minutes of use. The sound literally changed mid-song! Is this typical for this headphone? While they arrived in the original box, they were certainly not new. Should I expect to have to warm them up in the future before serious listening?

Sextetts - Love these but feel they could use a rehab. As I'm mechanically inept, are there folks ( vendors or members) who will mod / rehab these for a fee?

ESP's - First intro to electostats and I can't stop listening to these. I've had many a late night session flipping vinyl in the week I've had them. Only drawback is cord length. Can I still use the new flat STAX extension cables with these?

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Yamaha HP3: As far as I know, this is not normal with orthodynamic headphones. I have a feeling this might have been psychological. Were you thinking about modding these, by the way?

AKG K240: You can try posting on the For Sale / Trade Forums. They are relatively easy to mod, however.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Don't think it was psychological - I heard a bit of a tick and the darkness disappeared and things opened up nicely!  Still a bit bass heavy but the rest of the music just seemed to blossom after that tick.

I was thinking about modding them but again, I'm all thumbs when it comes to things electronic. I used to repair old manual / automatic watch movements as a hobby with success. Anything electrical seems to blow up on me though. Definitely interested in seeing what the HP3's and Sextetts can really do. Just would prefer to leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Don't think it was psychological - I heard a bit of a tick and the darkness disappeared and things opened up nicely!  Still a bit bass heavy but the rest of the music just seemed to blossom after that tick.

I was thinking about modding them but again, I'm all thumbs when it comes to things electronic. I used to repair old manual / automatic watch movements as a hobby with success. Anything electrical seems to blow up on me though. Definitely interested in seeing what the HP3's and Sextetts can really do. Just would prefer to leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Well, another theory I have is that something within the headphone cups actually physically shifted into the correct position, but if both sides experienced the same change at the same time, my theory doesn't hold any water.

Now that I think about it, the AKG K240 doesn't really have that many mods, per say. Most people will take the cups apart and spend quite a while cleaning out all of the deteriorated foam then add new foam and whatnot. Replacing the elastic bands on the headband and perhaps even a bit of recabling is popular as well.

If you wanted to get your beak wet, try modding the Yamaha HP3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back