Questions for y'all Grado fans
Jul 7, 2005 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

simonlondon

Head-Fier
I've been in a long-term relationship with my AKG-271s for a while now. But, you know how it is...itchy feet (itchy ears?)...tempted by that kinda retro-cool thing going on at Grado...

But (a) how much noise leaks OUT of Grado phones? I listen mostly at the office and I don't want to disturb my diligent co-workers. I gave up on AKG-501s for that reason although, curiously, the little Koss clip-ons I use with an iPod don't seem to disturb anyone. (b) what's the best bang-for-buck in the Grado line? I listen mainly to jazz and blues, with phones amped by either a Meier HA-1 or my trusty Marantz 1060.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonlondon

But (a) how much noise leaks OUT of Grado phones?

Noise leakage is comparable to your former AKG, and the best bang-for-the-buck is the SR 225 w/ flats IMO.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 14
it leaks ALOT. far more than the K271. ALOT. Grados are not polite cans for your neighbors - or even your wife in the next room. with the door closed.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 14
Grados are like a sieve. The nature of their grilles lets out almost as much sound as it lets in to your ears. Which is why it baffles me when people walk around in public wearing Grados - the isolation is non-existent.

And yes, as has been said many, many times, the 225s represent the most bang-for-buck in the Grado line.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 14
I must have a very patient fiancee-- I was listening to my SR60's last night in bed and asked "is this too loud?" to which she responded, "no, it's fine". I'm wondering if she's very tolerant or just hard of hearing
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 14
I'll repeat what's already been said- If leakage=bad, then you should stay far, far away from the Grados.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 14
Depends on how loud you listen to them.
I find the "grado bothers others" thing a bit exagerated.

i dont listen very loud, so my amped MS2 does not bother my wife, sleeping baby or co-workers. My KSC75 doesnt bother them either for that matter.

Grados (and alessadros) are VERY dynamic headphones and IMHO dont need much overall volume to achieve stellar dynamics.

it all depends on your listening habbits. Turn anything up loud enough and it'll bother someone.

Garrett

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Depends on how loud you listen to them.
I find the "grado bothers others" thing a bit exagerated.

i dont listen very loud, so my amped MS2 does not bother my wife, sleeping baby or co-workers. My KSC75 doesnt bother them either for that matter.

Grados (and alessadros) are VERY dynamic headphones and IMHO dont need much overall volume to achieve stellar dynamics.

it all depends on your listening habbits. Turn anything up loud enough and it'll bother someone.

Garrett

I was about to say something similar. Here I am listening to mine at volumes I consider loud, but at night I don't think I bother anyone in the next room, even with the door open. How loud do you guys wear these things
confused.gif

I also have to add a little more volume because I'm using my PC as a source and the fans distract me a bit. I'm hoping to buy a much quieter case in the future to help me prevent damaging my ears.

Then again, my dog's bark is so piercingly loud sometimes it physically hurts.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 14
In the cubicle situation where I work, leakage disturbing others is not an issue with me or my co-worker who also has Grados and listens at higher volumes.

Now, in situations outside of work where someone is sitting right next to you, leakage would be an issue.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

patient fiancee

The operative word here is "fiancée". When the bloom has dwindled so will the tolerance. Then you will have to go to something like the UM2's, if you can stand to have something in your ear. Actually I have a friend who has a wife that loves music just like he does and doesn't mind a bit.

John

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
I was about to say something similar. Here I am listening to mine at volumes I consider loud, but at night I don't think I bother anyone in the next room, even with the door open. How loud do you guys wear these things
confused.gif

I also have to add a little more volume because I'm using my PC as a source and the fans distract me a bit. I'm hoping to buy a much quieter case in the future to help me prevent damaging my ears.

Then again, my dog's bark is so piercingly loud sometimes it physically hurts.

I think he was exaggerating when he made the closed door comment....
icon10.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I think he was exaggerating when he made the closed door comment....
icon10.gif

No I wasn't!
eek.gif
I swear I don't listen to these babies over 10 O'Clock on my Solo, and that's with the tracks MP3Gained down to 89db as well! And yet somehow at 1am my wife can hear it when she's sleeping in the other room...down the hall...behind a closed door...with a head on a pillow. Enter the Darth Beyers. I can crank those babies to earth-shattering volume and they won't make a peep even when my wife is sitting right behind me reading on the couch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back