Questions for Headphiled/woodie Grado owners
May 3, 2006 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gigit

100+ Head-Fier
So before i spend money i should be saving for college tuition and books for next quarter on getting my grados woodied up I have some thinkgs i would like to know

1. How durable and flexable are the blackmax cables?
2. How much weight change is there from the wood?
and for thoes with c-pads
3. What is the overall difference in bowls/flats?
4. How much do the c-pads themselves change the sound?

on a side note - I'm pretty set on what im getting, im just trying to justify spending that much money
rs1smile.gif
any suggestions on what wood to get would be nice also... I was thinking maple or ebony but im not sure i want to spend that much money

May 3, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
So before i spend money i should be saving for college tuition and books for next quarter on getting my grados woodied up I have some thinkgs i would like to know

1. How durable and flexable are the blackmax cables?
2. How much weight change is there from the wood?
and for thoes with c-pads
3. What is the overall difference in bowls/flats?
4. How much do the c-pads themselves change the sound?

on a side note - I'm pretty set on what im getting, im just trying to justify spending that much money
rs1smile.gif
any suggestions on what wood to get would be nice also... I was thinking maple or ebony but im not sure i want to spend that much money

In short:

1) Very durable and flexible imho.
2) Not much. They remain very light.
3) HUGE.
4) Like all pads, it depends on the person; its just another flavor of the Grado sound.

I highly recommend you talk to Larry. Very nice guy and his work is amazing.
icon10.gif

May 3, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 9
I agree, the cable is very flexible and durable.

My recommendation is to listen to the pad/bowl/thingee you are considering before having your phone customized that way. You say your mind is mostly made up, but I've got to tell you the different pads really change the sound. I can only speak for my HF-1's, but I really don't like these AT ALL with anything other than the standard bowls they come with. If I had gotten C-pads without listening to them, I would have been very, very upset with my decision.

May 3, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 9
I find the C-Pads bring you a bit farther away from the performance than the "right there you are next to the performer" feeling with regular bowl pads. Also, the soundstage is expanded. I recommend getting the ported C-pads so that you can adjust the bass level with those little wooden plugs. I got deep woodys so I think that also contributes to the larger soundstage.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Could someone please tell me how to put on a new headband? i just got one from Jeremy and want to try it. is the L and R glued or something?
How do you take them apart.
I know how to open the cups but the L & R i have no ideo.
Thanx

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 9
The R&L plastic blocks are glued in place but not very securely. remove the cup, hold the band in one hand and using the other rock the block front-to-back and then twist side-to-side. You no doubt hear the glue bond break. I've done this with numerous Grados, some are a little more tenacious than others, but they all come apart.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 9
People need to read Larry's FAQ carefully. In particular, this part:

Quote:

I create art… I don't provide demo's (sorry) anymore, rather basically either you like and want my art, or you don't :) There are 37 pages of info on this website to make a pre buying decision, please take the time to look :)

My art has a 1 year warranty against build defects I had control over (from time of shipping notice). Drivers, pads, parts that I don't make… you're on your own with those (though I may have a solution if you email). Proper care of art is required and gone over below.

In my experience with his products (and I'm not alone on this) they're beautiful "art" but that often comes at the price of sound quality.

Oh, and here's another quote from that same FAQ. Read my statement on them, and then read his. They seem surprisingly close, don't they?
Quote:

All Products are Art… Most all of my art has an alternate function, but I consider all purchases that of art. Whether you use a product as art or function is solely up to you. Like any art, only time will tell if it's value rises or falls.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The R&L plastic blocks are glued in place but not very securely. remove the cup, hold the band in one hand and using the other rock the block front-to-back and then twist side-to-side. You no doubt hear the glue bond break. I've done this with numerous Grados, some are a little more tenacious than others, but they all come apart.

Is it hotglue? They really sit hard on mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back