questions for Candians!
Feb 24, 2007 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

pearljam5000

500+ Head-Fier
hello!i was just wondering,i want to have an amp shipped to my uncle's house(he lives in Toronto) and then he will bring it to me when he comes to Israel to visit.
my question is...will he have to pay any customs when he recives it?duties?taxes?and if so..what % of the price of the product will it be?and is there any way to lower it...thanks!

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 20
It depends I guess really. I have no idea what the exact percentages are, but I can tell you, the package I bought, was around 195 Canadian, and it shipped from Los Angeles, the customs fees came to 16 dollars.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 20
It depends on...
a) where it is coming from
b) declared value

If it coming from out of country and is declared for more than $40 then yes, he will pay duty.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 20
The Canadian Border Services website should have the information you need. Looks like your uncle will probably be on the hook for at least GST (6%) and PST (8% in Ontario).

There may be other fees as well, depending on the shipping method.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 20
Hi, First warning Never Ever ship UPS ground. Their Brokerage fee is short of a racketing scheme.

Here some prime example

http://www.epinions.com/bsrv-Office_...splay_~reviews

If you search the forum or internet you'll find other fine example.

Now

The rules for import in Canada.

Anything Commercial over $20 get charge taxes GST and PST around 15%

Any gift over $60 get charge taxes GST and PST

Brokerage fee are the fee you pay to the shipping compagny to fill out the paperwork and collect the taxes

USPS->Canada post charge $5 for brokerage.

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 20
There's no duty on most goods an individual is likely to be importing. You do have to pay sales tax on the declared value if it's more $20, or the value over $60 if it's a gift. Avoid UPS Standard and FedEx Ground -- just trust us all on that one. On the faster UPS/FedEx services, the brokerage fees are included in the shipping cost, so you pay the 14% sales tax. If it's shipped through the USPS, it will be 14% tax plus a $5 Canada Post brokerage charge ($8 for express). I suggest you avoid air mail unless you don't mind waiting for a few weeks. If cost is a huge issue, go with Global Priority. Otherwise, Express Mail. EMS is really the only USPS service with predictable delivery times to Canada.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 20
thank you all!
very valuable information indeed.
i will ship from the USA(it is made in the US btw)
mm i will avoid UPS most definitley and will find out more about EMS,it sounds good.
and the value is preety high unfrotunatley...around 900$...is there any way to lower that $$$ i will have to pay?
if will tell the seller to lower the value...is that a good option?
do the customs require proof of value of some sort?
thanks again
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no duty on most goods an individual is likely to be importing. You do have to pay sales tax on the declared value if it's more $20, or the value over $60 if it's a gift. Avoid UPS Standard and FedEx Ground -- just trust us all on that one. On the faster UPS/FedEx services, the brokerage fees are included in the shipping cost, so you pay the 14% sales tax. If it's shipped through the USPS, it will be 14% tax plus a $5 Canada Post brokerage charge ($8 for express). I suggest you avoid air mail unless you don't mind waiting for a few weeks. If cost is a huge issue, go with Global Priority. Otherwise, Express Mail. EMS is really the only USPS service with predictable delivery times to Canada.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if will tell the seller to lower the value...is that a good option?

Yes if you are a risk taker.....
biggrin.gif

(Meaning that if the item is lost the only insurance $ you'll get is the declared value)

Quote:

do the customs require proof of value of some sort?

No.

Amicalement

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 20
Yeah don't do Airmail parcel, as it can take up to a month to come in. Like someone mentioned EMS is the best option from USPS. I've found letterpost to be good as well, cost/time ratio very good, but there's a 4lbs limit on that.

Declaring lower is up to you, but that is a risk you will have to take. I've had items shipped to me that were worth around 500+ in total (CPU, 2 vid cards, other comp stuff) declared low; haven't had a problem with USPS/Canadapost yet.

And yes, avoid UPS Canada like the plague...

Actually I think you will not get the declared value on loss, but rather the insured value, depending on what method you choose.

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Thanks everyone!
how much time does it take to be deliverd from the US to Canada using EMS?and when the package arrives to Canada,is it delivered to the address specified on it with a delivery guy,or does it arrive to a local post office or something?
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah don't do Airmail parcel, as it can take up to a month to come in. Like someone mentioned EMS is the best option from USPS. I've found letterpost to be good as well, cost/time ratio very good, but there's a 4lbs limit on that.

Declaring lower is up to you, but that is a risk you will have to take. I've had items shipped to me that were worth around 500+ in total (CPU, 2 vid cards, other comp stuff) declared low; haven't had a problem with USPS/Canadapost yet.

And yes, avoid UPS Canada like the plague...

Actually I think you will not get the declared value on loss, but rather the insured value, depending on what method you choose.

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 20
EMS generally takes 3-5 days. A person from the Post office will deliver it to the address specified, and I recommend you request Signature as well; actually I think that may be included as part of the service, but I'm not positive. Global EMS has tracking as well, so this is always good to have. That being said I am not sure if Canadapost will try to redeliver, ie; once they deliver, they will leave a notice on your door telling you were to pick up the parcel from, generally the closest postal location.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 20
thanks alot.
sounds good,kind of quick.less than a week!perfect.
thank you Canadians for helping.
btw i have been to Canada twice and loved the niagra falls and the CN tower...and queen,yong street in toronto..and preety much anything else.
Quote:

EMS generally takes 3-5 days. A person from the Post office will deliver it to the address specified, and I recommend you request Signature as well; actually I think that may be included as part of the service, but I'm not positive. Global EMS has tracking as well, so this is always good to have. That being said I am not sure if Canadapost will try to redeliver, ie; once they deliver, they will leave a notice on your door telling you were to pick up the parcel from, generally the closest postal location.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, First warning Never Ever ship UPS ground. Their Brokerage fee is short of a racketing scheme.

Here some prime example

http://www.epinions.com/bsrv-Office_...splay_~reviews

If you search the forum or internet you'll find other fine example.

Now

The rules for import in Canada.

Anything Commercial over $20 get charge taxes GST and PST around 15%

Any gift over $60 get charge taxes GST and PST

Brokerage fee are the fee you pay to the shipping compagny to fill out the paperwork and collect the taxes

USPS->Canada post charge $5 for brokerage.

5 bucks? I paid 16 bucks...

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

thanks alot.
sounds good,kind of quick.less than a week!perfect.
thank you Canadians for helping.
btw i have been to Canada twice and loved the niagra falls and the CN tower...and queen,yong street in toronto..and preety much anything else.

Sorry i had to quote this too. Its nice that you like our country. Check out some of the countryside, it is alot better than the city. I am a country boy, living in Toronto for coop. I work on yonge street, and i freaking hate it. I hate the city and I hate so many people in such a small space. Its nice that you like it, but personally, i hate Toronto.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

mm, some of the times I used EMS, there was no need for a signature. since it's coming from the US, could you even opt for EMS? isn't that for overseas shipments?

OT here, but i agree w/ Pm@c. do visit the countryside of Canada. anywhere far outside a major city is just gorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back