Questions about Westone 3
Sep 4, 2009 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

daniel.ho

New Head-Fier
Guys,

Lately, I bought a westone 3. While I once heard music with them, I felt a little bit disappointed. Westone 3's bass is worse than Bose IE2, I thought.

How can I address this problem?? I heard that burn-in can improve this problem, can't it? Is it indispensable to burn in my westone 3 to a better performance?
evil_smiley.gif

Providing me some suggestions, please!

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a poor fit. W3's are bass monsters.

Actually, I have worn the W3s with suitable tips correctly. Have you ever listened music with BOSE IE2? buddy

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 12
You ask for advice and then cop an attitude. I have heard the Bose IE, and I though they were pretty poor, bloaty, etc.

Now, as for the W3, spyro is on the money, they do not lack for bass, and you are getting a poor fit (or you have a desire for bloated bass). When you say "suitable tips correctly" you aren't saying much when it comes to the W3. I had them for a long time, and tips/fit are critical to getting rid of sibilance (and the W3s can be harsh) and maximizing bass response.

There is nothing wrong with the W3 on the bass front, so you must be doing something wrong with your tips/fit. Either the W3s are defective, or the they are not in your ears properly. You can read over the W3 threads...bass is not lacking in that IEM.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 12
^^Agreed ^^

I have the UM3X which by all accounts is less bass-emphasized than the W3 and I have absolutely no lack of bass. Of course I crave accurate over bloated bass which is why I bought the UM3X over the W3.

That said, fit is absolutely critical. The UM3Xs can sound like a world-beater when properly inserted and sealed, and like the worst cans in the world if inserted improperly [just like any other IEMs, like my now-dead Ultimate Ears Super-fi 5 Pro].

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel.ho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I have worn the W3s with suitable tips correctly. Have you ever listened music with BOSE IE2? buddy

Buddy? You ask a question and then give attitude...not very nice!

I've heard the Bose as well and maybe for $10 they seem to offer some value, but not a penny more. I've got both the SE530s and W3s and let me say that the W3s DO NOT lack bass (nor mids, nor highs).

BOSE = No highs, no lows, must be BOSE.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 12
You are right, mightbe my ears are used to bloated bass becasue I had have been using Bose IEMs(IE1 and IE2).

And would you please answer me whether the W3's need a burn-in or not?

P.s. I was not aggressive, sorry for my attitude before.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 12
The "conventional wisdom" is that IEMs don't require burn-in, but of course there are plenty here in the forum who will offer a differing opinion.

I can tell you with my UM3Xs that the sound has changed in the first 3 days of use...but not necessarily due to burn in but rather my learning how to achieve the best possible seal and experimenting with multiple tips.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 12
Balanced armature (BA) IEMs, such as Westones, Shures, UE typically are not subject to burn-in, but some have noted changes in 24-48 hours. Dynamic driver IEMs, such as the IE8, Denon 710, etc., do need burn in to get to be their best, some claim as many as 200+ hours for the Senns, for example.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 12
Likely however, just keep listening to them with a proper fit and you'll experience some "burn-in" as you ears realize that there's more to the world of sound than bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back